Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #25)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

2-4-1 special

I'm not exactly sure how this works out, but I've found that new recent performances of Beethoven seem to have this emotional clout that other types of "new" classical music [like an new "New World" or "Magic Flute"] don't. I almost always find a new approach to Beethoven interesting, at least on first audition.

I'm interested in HIPP approaches to Beethoven, in part because it seems like nobody's gotten it quite "right" so far, nobody seems to have coupled the violent extremities of Beethoven's music [and the notation on the page is full of little musical explosions] with the smooth virtuosity associated with the "Classical" tradition. Most HIPP performances of Beethoven are either too "Hair Shirt", with the strings dipped in witch hazel, or they take up too much of the "easy listening" approach and essentially play like Joseph Krips with HIPP hardware. I find Blomstedt's approach very rewarding—Big Band Beethoven with lots of Brio and Focus.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I would love to see what a good remastering would produce. I am quite impressed with the remastered Haydn symphonies. And the Great Performances disc of Szell conducting several Mozart symphonies (but not 39-41) is also a significant improvement.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The best sound I 've heard from Szell's recordings is from this OOP SACD:

[​IMG]

I don't know what the Sony engineers did, but this beats by far my best vinyl of these recordings and I don't say this lightly.

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Oops. My mistake. I thought SHM = SACDs. Sorry.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No problem, I wish they were SHM-SACDs though, the price is certainly not too bad.

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What is SHM, then? (Not too technical, please.)

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

SHM stands for Super High Material, it can be both redbook or SACD, it really depends.
    Supposedly they use high quality material and super clear plastic in the production of the discs and the sound is better because the laser will read more easily and accurately the data.
    Personally I think it is a lot of hype.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

Me too. I compared a SHM CD to a regular one (same mastering) and heard no difference.

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I agree George, it's all in the mastering that's what make the sound good or bad.

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Disappointing. I like the sound of Abbado's BP M6 SACD, and anticipated buying more. Oh, well, le$$ to $pend.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Ye$

14. john greenwood

Yeah - that's quite nice. I have several of the Szell SACDs released at that time - Schumann (1-4), Dvorak (8 and 9), Strauss (3 tone poems), Mendelssohn (4 and Midsummer), but not Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert. I assumed some day I would see box sets of the Mozart and Beethoven and the Schuber 8th and 9th on a single SACD. Because I knew Sony would stand behind SACD with all its marketing weight. :realmad:

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Shame on you Sony for betraying the SACD!
    Unfortunately, I came to the game late and I had to buy these after they became oop.
    So, I don't have too many from those early Sonys cause they can be pretty expensive nowadays but the ones that I have, 6 with the Szell posted above included, are very good and rival or surpass the vinyl.

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Which i$ $ometime$ it$ own reward.

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I was thinking about this the other day: It seems there were three major conductor/orchestra combinations recorded by CBS in the 50's and 60's, Szell/Cleveland, Bernstein/NYPO, and Ormandy/Phd O. Bernstein of course will probably always have his fans (myself included). Szell continues to be respected and collected based on quality. Ormandy seems to be of the three most likely to have been forgotten -- and, in my experience, rightfully so. I find his recordings generally lackluster, despite my great respect for the Phd O; by contrast, I don't think I've heard a bad recording by Szell. Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Sibelius, Mahler, Wagner . . . they've all been excellent. Apparently he was a brutal taskmaster, and motivated players with fear, but if so, he and his recorded output are as good evidence as one will ever find of the unfortunate fact that fear is an excellent motivator.

18. john greenwood

Szell

I think he was in competition with Reiner for biggest SOB (with the best output).

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Bernstein signed his first contract with Columbia Records in 1956 and on that year he was designated as one of two Principal Conductors of the NYP (the other being Dimitri Mitropoulos) for the 1957-58 season.

For the years before 1957-8 Mitropoulos was ruling the NYP.
    IMO Mitropoulos was one of the greatest conductors of the 50s.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Klemperer would have my vote, after seeing footage of him in rehearsal. :eek:

21. zen

zen Senior Member

The Krivine samples (on Amazon) sounded good, to this Beethoven head. Thanks for the heads up. :righton:

22. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

you are overlooking toscanini, the grandaddy of all task masters! there are even recorded meltdowns if you're willing to listen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1__ELBbXc

23. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

i'm a huge fan of mitropoulis and that fact that bernstein was a protege of his and succeeded him in ny, is usually given short shrift. you could argue that it was mitropoulis in the 50's who started the ny phil on it's path of 'rediscovering' mahler, which bernstein furthered in the 60's.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's absolutely correct, here is a great collection of some of his Mahler performances, highly recommended to all fans of Mahler:

[​IMG]

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm listening to it now, and I think it is an instant new favorite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.