Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #25)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not that it did him a bit of good. No matter what, the NBC symphony had goodish strings, a great trumpeter and otherwise so-so brass and really bad woodwinds. Not to mention Studio 8-H, the absolute worst sonic venue ever created from the ground up for orchestral sound. He's legendary but his orchestra is just awful. If the primary job of an orchestra leader is building and maintaining a particular quality of sonic production, the the Arturo Toscanini of the NBC Symphony Orchestra was a miserable failure.

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Bernstein may have been influenced by Mitropoulos but if you read the biography Priest of Music: The Life of Dimitri Mitropoulos by William R. Trotter you may come away wondering if Lenny wasn't his enemy at the end.

3. dale 88

I have to agree for the most part about the NBC Symphony in Studio 8-H. I really have to be desperate to listen to any of those Studio 8-H recordings. I just hate the sound they got in that studio.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's why my two favorite Toscanini performances are the Beethoven 7th with the NY Phil and the Schubert 9th with the Philadelphians (first recording of that work I ever heard).

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah, Priest of Music is a great book, a must reading for all admirers of Mitropoulos, but how accurate are all these details about his relationship with Bernstein?
    There is also some evidence for a more intimate relationship between them. Maybe, who knows.

6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Outstanding my friend!

It is just gorgeous, brilliant, perfectly paced. It is a magical Adagietto, and then those ritardando moments in the Finale in which that melody is alluded to are sublime. That movement, the Finale, may be the best part of it. I need to print out a score so I can get a better understanding of the different parts of it.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The pirates have not been able to produce any SACD bootlegs since SACD's have so far been impossible to duplicate. One would expect all record companies to jump on the SACD bandwagon but they have not. :confused:

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Exactly, I was wondering about that too, it seems that we live at a time of lost opportunities.

9. coopmv

I think all the old-school conductors fitted into this mode. How about Karajan, who "ruled" the BPO with an iron fist?

10. coopmv

Granted that the recording and pressing machines for SACD's will be far more expensive, but huge volumes will drive the unit costs down ...

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Stokowski was all business at the podium. He managed to pull off some impressive stunts in the name of Orchestral Culture. But to the best of my knowledge, he was more like modern conductors, direct, specific and efficient at rehearsals. And is it any wonder that he was notable as a champion of new and quite difficult music? He had an extraordinary connection to the music of Charles Ives. Who else among "Old School" conductors recorded such beautiful Messiaen?

12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

If you like this one keep an eye out for the MoFi version. It really is the best IMO

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Is this Solti Beethoven 9 available on CD?

14. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I swear I saw this chic on a 1960's episode of Star Trek! :biglaugh: :righton:

[​IMG]

15. dale 88

That is why I used the phrase "may wonder" since I found it interesting but have no way of knowing if the book is accurate.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I know, I didn't mean to imply anything different :wave:

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Pressing costs could not have been too much greater in SACD's heyday (relatively speaking). Remember - the Living Stereos were marketed at mid-price from the get-go. It was easy to find them in the $8 range on release. And IIRC the Dylan and Rolling Stones SACDs (as well as Dark Side of the Moon and the Mercs) were sold at standard CD prices.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Now there's an oxymoron. Sorry, John, I just couldn't stop myself.

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I discovered that this lowering and raising of volume, which happened four times on two discs, only happened with the files I ripped to my computer. I played the discs on two players today, and they are fine. Absolutely no problems with the Abbado Mahler box set.

Does anyone know why that would happen, ripped tracks arbitrarily going lower and higher in volume when I listen to them on my computer? Is it a memory issue?

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I forget. ;)

Itunes has an idiotic function for ripping called soundcheck that messes with levels. I suggest turning it off if you are using itunes.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

IIRC MFSL did not release it on cd.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The plain-wrap London LP issue is plentiful and a sonic blockbuster. Love what Solti does with the scherzo, all the repeats and a full LP side for the one movement. Worth hunting down for LP fans.

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:goodie: My Brilliant Beethoven box has arrived, but I will have to wait until sunday before I get it. Looking forward to spending some quality time with good old Ludwig van (but I already dread having to rip and check the tagging of 85 CDs :help:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.