Backing up SACDs now possible..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by yamfox, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure if we've yet had a discussion about this, but you can now rip and backup SACDs with an SACD enabled PS3. Read more here.

2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

My question is if there's a software to author SACD's at home. I read some month ago about Sony and Philips enabling DVD/BD Rom units to read/rip SACDs and at the same an authoring software for home purposes.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Very good. I am not clear on how you compile/burn a backup disc?

4. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I think the back up sticks to the PS3 internal HDD.

5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Why would you need to "back up" a retail SACD? Its not like a DVD-R that can go bad in the sun, etc.

6. yamfox

Yeah, I don't think you can burn discs yet, but you can store a perfect copy (iso) on your PS3's HDD, an external HDD, or a flash drive. Alternatively, you can burn the .iso file itself onto a DVD, or decode it to DSD or PCM, at which point you could burn a DVD-A or Blu-ray backup disc.
    By 'backup', I mean a digital one, so you can stick it on your music server, iPod, hard drive, whatever.

7. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

If this software works, makes me think a lot of people that don't have an SACD player are going to be hearing the new Sticky Fingers SACD...even if it is an analog rip...

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

A disc can always get damaged. And most SACDs will be very hard to replace in the future. I would be relieved if I could make a back up of my "Minimum Maximum" or "Black Celebration".

warp2600 likes this.
  9. Debaser

Debaser New Member

This is pretty much useless unless you have a PS3.

10. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I have a damaged Police SACD disc - the hub has cracks in it.

I am more concerned that the laser on my SACD player will fail, I need an analog backup solution.

11. yamfox

Yes, but the PS3 is more likely than not the most popular SACD player in the world.

12. This information is useful only for the first two generations of Playstation 3 game consoles, one of which I have...the current models don't carry the DSD/SACD playback chip, unfortunately!!!:sigh:

13. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I wish I knew about this before I updated to a more recent firmware.

14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You still won't be able to make a disc that will play in an SACD player (unless you make a DSD Disc that only a few players support) because there is no home DVD burner that can add SACD's Pit Signal Processing, without which a player will reject the disc!

http://www.ps3sacd.com/dsddiscguide.html

It is ironic that stupidity on behalf of the Playstation group allowed SACD's security to be breached!

As others have stated, you need both a specific model of PS3 and specific firmware version.

15. I have two PS3s, one is the 80GB model capable of SACD playback but only by conversion to PCM and over HDMI. It has about 10 hours of use total in the 4.5 years I have owned it, the other non SACD capable PS3 has been the only one I use. I can't imagine anybody that wants to back up SACDs will be happy with a solution that backs up the disc to a PS3 hard drive and can only be played by conversion to PCM.

16. I think not if you mean in terms of actual use as an SACD player. I suspect a big majority of owners of SACD capable PS3s have never used it for that purpose. I own one and have never used it to play a single SACD and I own 200 SACDs, I would think a big majority of PS3 owners own zero SACDs. If you just mean the SACD capable player in the most households is one of the three PS3 models capable of SACD playback, I definitely agree with that since there were maybe 15 million or so of them sold worldwide.

The PS3 is an amazing media center/game console/Blu-ray player but as far as an SACD player except of this hack which means nothing to me, it isn't anything to get excited about.

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I think that only one or two models of the PS3 can actually play SACDs. Some people think its any PS3, thats isnt true.

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Someone post model/serial #'s of the PS3 that plays SACDs.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147566

Has anyone actually done this, or is seriously planning to do this? I have some very specific questions about the resulting ISO.

20. The 60GB, 20GB, and the first 80GB version. I have the 80GB which came packaged with Motorstorm and it includes 4 USB ports which will distinguish it from the 80GB version that will not play SACD and has 2 USB ports.

21. Can this process result in a DSD disc with 5.1 surround? If so and it won't require purchasing new hardware, I will give it a shot, my SACD PS3 is definitely running a firmware version prior to 3.55. This is assuming the 80GB version I own can be used.

Just glancing at the information, it indicates the first 2 generations of PS3 can be used for this back up process. I would think the 20GB and 60GB would both be first generation and the first 80GB model would be second generation but I don't know if that is what is meant by the statement. It might also mean only the first 2 models can be used.

22. Is this even legal in the USA? I got bored reading about doing it without determining if my 80GB can be used or if it would in violation of the DMCA.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That makes sense. Is there a USB interface on the PS3 to rip to a flash drive or transfer files to a computer?

Of course, there's no such thing as an SACD-R, so making a copy on another disc is out.

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yup. I've invested a lot in SACDs, and it would be nice to have digital back-ups.

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I'm pretty sure copyprotection is being circumvented in the "backup process", which is prohibited in every country that is member of the WTO.

And of course, most digital SACD rips which will be made with this method are not used for backup. How many people on this forum backup their CD collection?

Digital copies of the hi-rez content of SACD was already possible with a modified Oppo player, but with a suitable PS3 that only requires a certain firmware, there will probably be hundreds more people who will make SACD rips and share them online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.