SH Spotlight A favorite Beatle candid shot, right before "on air" at the Ed Sullivan Theatre..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Great shot.

Thanks Steve.

Who was the photographer?

Joe L.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That shot sure looks hot and up close'n'personal, doesn't it? The ES theater was a lot smaller in reality than it seemed on television....and B&W added mightily to that mystique; just watch later color stuff(especially late '60s/early '70s)....what a difference! Great pic, and yes, a lot to prove that day, they must have been at least a little nervous(probably a lot), but as we know, they passed the audition... :)

:ed:

3. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Epstein looks positively serene....it might have been a bigger moment for him than it was even for the Fabs, at least in terms of sensing what a huge deal that appearance would be.

4. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Steve, Great shot, thanks for posting it.

Evan, How could you tell if they were tentative, I was so damned stoked that night that they could have song "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and I would have cheered. :goodie:

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I'll guess Joe Covello....who also took the Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall pics used by DCC. ;)

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Ruff & Ready, ready to go
    There goes Ruff, and what do you know?
    Reddy's back, he's had enough
    And look who's here, it's our old pal Ruff!

Pretty scary.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You are frightening me! :)

8. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

WoW.... UPS just delivered Bruce Spizer's latest book The Beatles are Coming from Amazon a few hours ago to me this afternoon. I randomly opened it up and guess what picture was on the page????
    To quote Count Floyd....
    "OOoooooo Scaarrrrrryyyy!!!!" :D

9. Ruff & Ready was my favorite! It was the first made-for-tv cartoon show to be shown nationally on Saturday mornings (i.e it began the Saturday cartoon industry). Ruff looked like Huckleberry Hound's big brother. Probably watched it (along with Sky King, Fury and a few others) that same weekend as the Beatles Ed Sullivan appearance.

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Compare that performance of "All My Loving" to their opening of "From Me To You" the following week in Miami; notice how they SLAM into the latter song. "AML" sounds very tentative in comparison.

Evan

11. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

I was lucky enough to get back stage for a couple of concerts. The most memorable thing was at a Aerosmith concert. When they headed out to the stage they all had arena employees walking in front of them, side stepping, with little flashlights pointing at the floor. It wasn't that dark behind the stage and none of the band members ever looked down at the light in front of their feet.
    Obviously the thought of a lawsuit by a millionaire performer makes one ask the question, "Can you operate and aim a flashlight?", during the interview process.

I don't understand why that sight is burned so vividly into my brain.

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Awesome photo! Thank you Steve.

13. IBN_Music

IBN_Music New Member

Thinking about what they were thinking....

Good evening everyone.. I'm new at the forum. I must say I haven't seen this picture before of all pictures of the Beatles I've seen. Great Picture. I just wonder what they were thinking in that exact moment before the performance that changed the course of music from that night for ever.
    It would be fun by looking at the picture, try to guess what was in their minds that moment. Just for the fun of it i'd like to invite the reader to share what do you think they were thinking in that moment.

I guess they were thinking about:

John: (tuning his guitar for 10th time) "Hope the chicks understand I'm married...
    I got an idea... who's the CG operator??..."
    Paul: "I need a cigarette..."

George: "F#m, B, E, then C#m Okay got it..."

Ringo: " It's fun to be up here i can see the camera ..."

Brian Epstein: "damm!! he's cute..."

Well this is just a funny thinking....But that night History was made...
    Thank God for music and The Beatles..
    Take care people...
    --
    IBN Music

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I thought it went:

"Ruff and Ready, here comes Ruff and Ready
    They're tough and steady, here come Ruff and Ready
    They sometimes have their little spats, even fight like dogs and cats
    But when they meet each other that's when they're Ruff and Ready"

Whoa - That one goes WAY back into the brain cells.................... :help:

:-jon

15. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Great picture. You can really feel the excitement of the moment and it sure makes me nostalgic for that time and the explosion in music those four guys were about to trigger. I was nine years old when that picture was taken and can remember the excitement my brother and I felt watching them on Ed Sullivan, lying in front of the TV in our jammies. I didn't care a whit about music before then and it lit a fire in me that has never waned. What a decade musically when you think of all that followed. I really feel sorry for anyone who was too young to have experienced it.

Old fart alert is over.

16. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Ruff & Ready? You're killing me!!! I remember them!!! Jack & Jill magazine? Wow. I used to love "The Rabbitville Gazette" in the middle of it. :)

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:cool:

One can never see too many Beatles pictures, can one? :D

Thank you, Steve. :)

18. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Macman, You hardly an old fart, I was a teenager when I watched this on TV and the only thing going through my mind other than "It's the Beatles" is why am I doing this with my parents instead of my babe at the time.

19. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

A really true moment in history.

Thanks for posting the pic Steve.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

here's a picture from the perspective of the sound board:

Attached Files:

21. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Very "Ruff and Ready"!! :D

22. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Another 'thank you' for posting this great pic Steve. Nice one. :righton:

23. Steve Hoffman

Clever boy!

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Terrific image, Steve. Thanks for sharing it with us! :righton:

Sort of reminds me of Nat Fein's iconic image of Babe Ruth's final appearance at Yankee Stadium.
    http://www.vintagephotos.com/babe_bows_out.htm

Look at all those photographers getting the "safe" shot. Walk away from the pack, you might find something much more interesting (and a better story, too).

Dan C

25. Steve Hoffman

I still love that pic. Gets right to the heart of Beatlemania.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.