Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #26)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD5 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

You meant Christopher Lee. BTW, is CL still alive? I know his onetime cohort Peter Cushing passed away a while ago ...

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have said:
    Jay do you have an opinon on this second one as opposed to the NYPO recording?

5. John S

John S Forum Resident

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Re: Bernstein's Mahler 1 on DG with the RCO:
    To tell you the truth, John, it's not one I've listened to much. The CBS version you reviewed was not only my first M1, but one of my first two Mahler recordings, period (the other: HVK's M4), so the imprint factor is huge. In fact, I was so new to classical music at the time, I didn't know there was such a thing as the imprint factor. I know the Penguiphone gang loved the DG M1, after two-starring most of Bernstein's CBS Mahler, which made me feel even less inclined to like this version. I don't even have it anymore. I imagine I loaned my copy to a friend during some other decade, as I find it's no longer on the "M" shelf, and I'm unable to listen to it today.

7. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - PC Nos. 23 & 24 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Jay, Did HVK actually record M4? IIRC, I thought he only recorded M5 and M9 ...

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That recording sounds great on SACD but it is not remixed. :cheers:

10. coopmv

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The one with Leontyne Price, the best recording ever? That one?

The sound on the on the Toscanini recording is not to my liking. However, Toscanini is to Verdi what Furtwängler is to Wagner so you're certainly not about to be wasting your money.

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yep. HvK recorded M4, M5, M6, and two versions of M9. I think he did not intend to record any more than that, as his last recording, M9 with the brown cover w/HvK in profile, was made seven years before his death in 1989.

http://www.karajan.co.uk/mahler.html

13. coopmv

Thanks for the link. I have HVK's M9 on CD and M5 on LP. I should pick up the M5 on CD soon and will check out his M4 and M6 as well ...

14. coopmv

Jay, What do you know about this Mahler set by Kubelik?

[​IMG]

15. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived from Qualiton with 3 other volumes late last week for a first listen. 3 volumes are on back order and when they arrive, I will have the Complete Organ Works by Johann Pachelbel in my collection ...

[​IMG]

16. George P

Now playing:

[​IMG]

17. George P

Damn this is good!! Early Arrau rocks!!:agree:

18. George P

[​IMG]

Still lovely, this set. Another OOP gem.

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Passion is no Ordinary word

I don't know what Jay knows about Mahler. But I probably have heard as much Mahler in my time. I've owned various components of Kubelik set. The Seventh is great but not as good as Bernstein [who owns the piece outright] or Solti. And that's the best thing in the box. Overall, a pretty good set surrounded by better sets, and now all can these sets can be found for bargain prices. As regard sound quality—also middling. I'd say that the Early Bernstein set on Sony/Columbia, variable as it is in both sound quality and performance, still is the one to beat. Chailly and the Concertgebouw have awesome sound. The quality of playing is also very good. If nothing else, Get Chailly's recording of the Ninth symphony—nobody, Bernstein included, does it better.

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I had some of the Kubelik DG Mahler on LP's and eventually got rid of all of them, except the First, which is one of the top Firsts ever put to tape. I did not like the Sixth at all -- waaay too fast first movement Allegro energico (he must've left the ma non troppo in the stall). For more compelling Kubelik Mahler, check out some of the live aircheck recordings issued on Audite (especially the Third).

Attached Files:

21. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

For fans of Mahler's Resurrection, I'd like to suggest this one:

[​IMG]

Jurowski with the LPO. Sound quality is at least the equal of the Tennstedt M2 on this label, and the performance is magnificent. Jurowski takes the first movement much quicker than Tennstedt and the overall feel is slightly different, but this seems a very good M2 to me, quite moving and exhilarating.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Stuart, I know absolutely nothing about Kubelik's Mahler. For some reason (presbysonophobia?), I've only listened to his M1. [EDIT: Having now read what Robin and Eddie wrote above, I suspect I read mostly negative stuff about Kubelik's Mahler back in the '80s, and thus never felt the urge to imbibe.]

23. George P

[​IMG]

Starting the day with this new (to me) CD.

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I heard a bit of this on Gramophone's website the other day, and was positively impressed. Maybe I'll get this one. Thanks, Joe.

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

For what it's worth, Jurowski's Planets on LPO is one of the fastest accounts on records, but I really liked it -- and I'm not a big Planets fan -- it made me sit down and listen. Uncompromising, martial Mars. I gave my copy to my nephew, who loves it. My top pick for now.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.