Vinyl Will Definitely Outlast CDs... (says WB exec!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeyH, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King Thread Starter

2. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

It could outlast CD's -- but because it's a niche product right now and will continue to be, most likely. Digital downloads will likely replace CD's completely in 5 to 10 years, but vinyl will likely stay stable. My guess.

So it's not that vinyl will be selling 100 million copies in 10 years, but that CD's might drop below 2 million one day.

3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I had little old ladies come in with Caruso and John McCormick one sided 78s that looked like they were purchased yesterday, and people returning CDs that were purchased a few weeks earlier which the aluminum was flaking off the disc. Go figure.

4. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Thanks for posting....I believe vinyl will outlast CDs as well. Wouldn't have thought so 10 years ago!

5. MikeyH

20 years ago I was worried no-one would be making or repairing quality turntables or especially good MC cartridges (since they wear out). That turned out OK. I knew I'd always be able to get vinyl, if only used, but we've seen a fair improvement on new technology vinyl too .. in some areas, anyway.

Like someone said on the article: no-one is building new pressing equipment. There won't be a big improvement until that happens. It seems that Acoustic Sounds have sort of started that ball rolling with their modified temperature controlled presses. Let's hope that they are a success, and make good discs. So far the reviews are good.

6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Some of us vinyl junkies have, of course, thirsted for the day when someone in authority would say what we've all been thinking!

7. Jimbo1960

Jimbo1960 Forum Resident

What about streaming audio? Haven't seen too many people on this Site talk about it. I'm not talking about MP3s, but FLAC and WAV, ripped from audiophile quality CDs and LPs. I use a server and stream to an Oppo BDP-95 (uses it's own DACs to decode) and it sounds great. Best of all, in the last 3 hours I haven't had to get up out of my chair once. With LPs I'd have gotten up 9 times? With CDs 3 or 4 times. Surely convenience has to weigh-in somewhere as we head into the future.

8. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

I can't understand why, from some years to date, there has been so much cd bashing. If some people don't like them, just get rid of them, more compact discs for us who do! :D

9. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident

I believe vinyl and CD's will be around for quite sometime - but also believe that Cd's will continue to outsell vinyl by a long shot. Too many people, including myself, enjoy the convenience of CD's and the fact that they don't make popping sounds or warp like vinyl does. Yes, vinyl may have a slightly warmer sound - but not enough that CD's will become obsolete. CD's do have a very nice sound to them and some of the newer formats give some brilliant multi-dimensional sound that you just don't get from a record. Records have those awful cardboard covers that wear and attract dust mites and such.

10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

There may come a time soon when the major records labels stop manufacturing CDs. They could just shift all their attention to downloads, which may be far more profitable for them. Remember what happened to cassettes? The industry abandoned them quite quickly and CDs remained as the primary delivery system for recorded music.

Perhaps the record companies also see that vinyl will continue to be craved by loonies like me as a niche market. Vinyl would sell to people who are not satisfied with downloads and digital music. Otherwise, downloads would be fine for most everyone else, just as CDs were, and Cassettes before that--as a "convenient" no frills delivery system for the masses.

11. MikeyH

I think vinyl will remain the medium for 'classic' analog recordings. I sense a lot of fetishism around this.. look at the Rumours reissues of this year. Next up seems to be Chad's Cat Stevens disc, perhaps more to follow. Maybe we could hope for a set of Nick Drake after that.

I'm really pleased that Sterling Sound are emerging as a good cutting studio again. I was a huge fan of their work in the 70's, much more so than the other big names for consistent quality. I suspect recent comments here about the 'playability' of discs might be ameliorated by a few Sterling cuts. I always found them easier to play on average than others. And I'm pretty sure that's not because they had the compressor and de-esser at 11.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

absolutely...CDs will last as long as LPs, but without any sound quality loss...I like that.:)

13. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Your reasons are why CD's replaced vinyl (for most people), back in the early 1990's - myself included. But those are the same reasons why digital downloads are also popular - plus it gives user the additional convenience of instant gratification on their portable music players and cellphones. Add to that the recent marketing of cloud services and I honestly believe that CD's years are numbered.

You prefer CD's over digital downloads, I assume? I know I do. But the issue will be what the majority of consumers prefer. My pre-teen son and teenage daughter, for example, think CD's are archaic and would only buy music on iTunes or Amazon (and I won't even go into what they think of vinyl). I think that this mindset will grow over time. It won't happen tomorrow, but I think that in 5 years we'll see a significant drop in CD sales and in 10 years it will be at the point where labels will probably stop producing them.

I can't see how the record labels even like CD's, to be honest. They don't support DRM and they cost more money to produce than a digital download. And worst of all, for them, is second hand sales. I bet they will love to move to digital downloads, now that they've finally come to accept the format (And given that they've lost their fight on making personal CD backups illegal and also making a used CD "royalty tax"). And at least with vinyl, it's harder to copy versus a CD -- so that format might survive for the audiophiles and DJ's, as it has for the last 20 years.

14. No problem whatsoever with 44.1kHz 16-bit audio, but right from the beginning I've never had any love for optical media as a delivery system (for movies either, actually). These days, I'm only too happy to get all my music as lossless flac or high-resolution mp3 digital downloads - no fuss, no muss, no flimsy plastic jewel cases, and right direct into iTunes.

Vinyl will definitely outlast the compact disc, as a niche market if nothing else. Time for CDs to be consigned to the dustbin of audio history - past time, really...

15. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

If they were their own discs and not handed down, they must have been VERY old ladies.

16. button

button Forum Resident

But the only way to get this was vinyl. I would've bought a CD release, if it was an option.

17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think it's quite possible that vinyl will outlast cds in the marketplace, but not for the reasons Cohen states. I got a chuckle out of his assertion that vinyl has a certain resonance or sound, the quality of which is closest to what the artist wants you to hear. First of all, I'm not even sure that most recording artists give much thought to the sound quality of their releases. If I'm mistaken, then I guess many of them just want to make sure their release sounds louder than the next guy's. No problem doing that with a compact disc.

The reason why I think vinyl will outlast cds matches what others are saying: The industry's profit margin on digital files is greater, and eventually it will just stop producing new cds. Hopefully lossless files will be the norm by the time that happens.

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am tired of these articles. Nothing will outlast anything. The label executives smelled the green coming out of a niche market and are desperately trying to make a quick buck.
    We 've seen this movie before.

19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

CDs will not only outlive the WB guy, they will probably outlive most CD bashers as well.:D

20. Of course that is just a prediction and in my opinion, a pretty baseless prediction. It is certainly clear that CD is declining rapidly but it still outsells vinyl by a huge margin and I believe there is a large core of the CD market that will continue to prefer CD over downloads and over vinyl which in my opinion leads to a prediction that both CD and vinyl will be niche products but CD will continue to be a much larger market.

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Has anyone ever estimated how many of each (LP and CD) were created over the course of time?

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

:righton::cheers:

23. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

+1:)
    I remember reading a similar post (à la downloads will have replaced CDs in 5 years) in 2001.

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

One thing seems clear , they will both out last us .

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Not everybody will go with digital downloads.
    I know several older people who still play cassettes.
    There should always be that alternative to people not up on technology.

Just because something is harder to copy, doesn't mean someone won't try to find a way (or an easier way) to.
    I remember when Blu-Ray discs first came out.
    I heard someone say that it was next to impossible to copy.
    I bet somewhere, someone's ears perked up.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.