Favorite #1 Album 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick1229, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This poll includes all the albums which were reached #1 in 1973 on the U.S. Billboard Top 200 Album chart.

Not all of them were released in 1973 but they were all at the #1 spot on the Billboard U.S. album chart in 1973.

Which is your favorite #1 album of 1973?

Here are the links for the other polls so far:
    1970: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=258208&highlight=

1971: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=258498&highlight=

1972: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=258652&highlight=

1979: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=257052&highlight=

For albums which were #1 in overlapping years my criteria is if the album was at #1 for one week in it's original year and one week in the following year it will only be listed in it's original year of #1 status.

If an album is #1 for 5 weeks with 4 weeks in it's original year and 1 week in the following year than it will only be listed in it's original year. Now if it's the other way around with 1 week in it's original year and 4 weeks in the following year it will be listed in only in the following year.

If an album has 5 weeks or more at #1 and crosses over to a following year it must have at least 2 weeks at #1 in the following year to be listed in the following year.

If the album has 10 weeks or more at #1 and crosses into a following year than it must log at least 3 weeks at #1 in the following year to be listed in the following year.

I know it seems like a lot of criteria but just for the sake of keeping clarity in these polls I wanted to give everybody an idea of how I am figuring these polls out for albums that do cross over into a following year at #1.

Greatest Hits albums and compilations of previously released material will not be included in these polls.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Went with Alice Cooper but I think my vote won't really count. Pretty sure I know where this one's headed.

3. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

This is a tough one but I went with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

4. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Count me in as the lone vote for Living In The Material World.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Pink Floyd

6. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Some great stuff up there....I'm going to give Houses of the Holy the edge over Red Rose Speedway and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

7. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

D'oh! Didn't see DSOTM up there. Hmm....I might have gone with that, but I'm still satisfied with Houses.

8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

+1 :righton:

Most played then and most played now. :thumbsup:

9. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I know where this one is going but at this point I am considering three so far... War - The world Is A Ghetto, Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of the Moon or Led Zeppelin - Houses of The Holy.

Will have to come back with my vote... I'm leaning towards War but Zep and Floyd are all-time favorites also.

10. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

There's nothing on that list that would make my top 50 albums of 1973.

I'll go with Pink Floyd.

11. 905

905 Senior Member

Houses of the Holy, one of my favorites period.

12. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Pretty slim pickins there. Brothers and Sisters is my choice.

13. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Why not? What's lacking about DSOTM in your view that wouldn't put it in a top 50 of 1973, let alone of all time?

14. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I'm with you on Alice, but this group really was a tough/close choice this time.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Pink Floyd - DSOTM gets my vote.

I suspect this wone will win in a big way, but I could be wrong once the LZ and ABB fans vote.

16. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

If it's not DSOTM in a landslide, something's seriously wrong.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Of those it's Led Zep.

18. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Carly Simon No Secrets

19. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Pink Floyd for me.

20. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Funny how many albums are on here I really enjoy but wouldn't call favorites...

I think Dark Side Of The Moon is the best album here, lyrically as well as sonically, but I've never warmed to it enough personally to call it a fav...

I just got No Secrets the other day and am enjoying it a lot, but it's too new to my ears to pick right now...

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Living In The Material World have enough killer greatness in them to have been the favorite, if not also some tracks I really don't like.

But for favorites, it's between two albums I wouldn't call my favs by their respective acts, Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player and Red Rose Speedway. I'm worn out on "Daniel" and dislike "Texan Love Song," while I have no similar dislike for anything on Red Rose. Plus I think Side 2 of Red Rose contains some of my favorite deep cuts of the McCartney canon, particularly "Loup" and the medley.

So I'm going with Red Rose Speedway.

21. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Lots greats here, but I went with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I thing the 2LP set was the pinnacle of his career. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is just a killer track.

Dale

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Loads of good albums on this list... DSOTM is no doubt the best.

Not forgetting The Stones, Tull, Elton.Alice.....

But for nostalgia reasons picked Red Rose Speedway
    mexican gold was in abundance on top of Mount Royal, Calgary ..that year.:)

23. houston

houston Forum Resident

stunning display of varied talent....I felt like taking Alice Cooper tonight, another night I could have chosen any one of 7 others

24. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

I thought Dueling Banjos was just a single?

25. Houses of the Holy . . because it's my favorite Led Zeppelin album. The first two songs are sheer magic. Dark Side is a good listen, too, but only Time, Us & Them, & Great Gig really leave an impression on me as actual songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.