Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Welcome! :wave:

This thread (and the 27 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, etc.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Just coming back to Bruckner from the last thread... which one do you reckon would be a good one to start with, George? He's a complete blank slate to me.

3. George P

I enjoy them all, actually.

Do you have access to Spotify? They have the Celibidache Bruckner 4th and 8th on EMI.

4. Edgard Varese

No Spotify down here. Maybe in two years' time. We're a wee bit behind the curve on, well, everything. :laugh:

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I can't find amazon.co.nz. Is there such a thing? If not, where do you order CDs from?

I'm thinking about this Bruckner set by HVK, but partly because it's so cheap here. http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-9-Sy...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312854555&sr=1-1

I have liked Bruckner by Celibadache (9), Bohm (7) (4), and HVK (8, but a different recording than in the set above) lately. I really like Bernstein's 9 on CBS/Sony.

6. George P

I have heard 4 sets and that one I liked the least. I was surprised, as I usually like Herbie.

My second favorite is pretty cheap ($30 new) and comes highly recommended:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symp...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312854888&sr=1-2

7. Edgard Varese

There's no such thing... only four million people live down here. :) I buy everything from overseas (Amazon US, UK, Marketplace, MDT, Presto...). We don't pay duty on CDs unless it's a big order (it needs to be over $500 or something like that to incur duty) so it's cost-effective to do it that way.

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

That's good. If you ever find something you want, and the Amazon Marketplace seller doesn't specify that they sell internationally, you should inquire. I sell on AM, and it simply doesn't occur to me that someone in another country would want to buy something from me. You have to choose whether you want to sell something internationally while you're placing the listing, and 99% of the time, I just blow it off. But if someone were to want me to ship something to them, I wouldn't mind.

9. George P

There's a shocker. :laugh:

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yeah. Kinda like you and Michael Stipe.

11. George P

That's me in the corner, guilty as charged.

12. Edgard Varese

Thanks for the tip, Jay. That does sometimes happen... usually when something is priced attractively. :laugh:

My biggest lament this year is that, since I have been listening to classical music very intensively, that our Central Public Library has been out of action since the February earthquake. The Central Library houses the vast majority of what is a quite extensive classical music collection, and none of it is accessible to anyone as the building is inside the central city cordon (and will be for the foreseeable future).

13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Not George but this is about as good as it gets IMHO.

[​IMG]

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

+1. I'm listening to it now.

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Same here. I specifically do not list items as available internationally because it always requires a trip to the post office counter for me, which in Philly means a long line. (Domestic stuff I can just use the machine.) But if someone sends me a message and is nice about it I'll edit the listing and sell it to him.

16. George P

Boehm is one of those conductors that I have had so much luck with, I would buy any CD he conducts without fear of disappointment. Szell, Ormandy, Kondrashin and Rozhdestvensky are four more in this select bunch.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

18. Edgard Varese

I went with this one for now:

[​IMG]

19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Bohm's Mozart sounded anachronistic the last time I heard it. It's not bad, but it's hard not to fix it in time after hearing Rene Jacobs, for example.

This would be an interesting discussion topic, "Conductors You Trust in Anything They Have Recorded." Not quite the same as "Favorite Conductors." (Karajan for instance is definitely in the latter category, and probably heads it up, but maybe not the former.) My trustees would include Bruno Walter and Carlo Maria Giulini. Szell maybe. Stokowski maybe. Rudolf Kempe maybe.

Can't agree with Ormandy, alas. I'd wish I could as he's a favorite around here and was a great personality, but I've heard some real weak-sauce Ormandy in stuff he was supposed to be strong in (Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff).

Among those living, I will almost definitely buy and give a listen to anything by Rattle, Jansons, Rene Jacobs, Antonio Pappano, or Christoph Eschenbach. Actually among those five the guy who might be the most reliable is Pappano. I defy anyone to name a recording by him that sucks. I've just looked him up on classicstoday.com, and apparently David Hurwitz didn't like his Respighi. Coincidentally I was listening to that recording over dinner tonight. Far be it from an ignoramus like me to tell David Hurwitz he's wrong, but, he's wrong.

Anyhow, yeah, in popular repertoire, my taste runs about as mainstream as it gets. But I keep an open mind, and there's lots of listening still to do.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Good set, good sound, great 8th, 6th, & 4th, very good everywhere else.

By comparison, Haitink is a little sleepy. Have heard big hunks of Gunter Wand's exception performances.

Cannot stand Karajan or Bernstein in Bruckner.

But I still think that in order to really "get" Bruckner, you have to go to Furtwängler, here specifically:

[​IMG]

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

And Claudio Abbado! Was just about to go to bed and realized I'd forgotten about him. Whew.

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

got this saturday for $.99. a very impressive digital recording from 1985.
    produced & engineered by Elite Recordings,Inc.(Marc Aubort & Joanna Nickrenz).

Attached Files:

23. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

How do these classical music corner threads work BTW? Do you just start a new one when the previous has reached 1000 posts?

24. Edgard Varese

Yes, it's a Forum practice that threads get continued onto new threads when they reach 1000 posts. :wave:

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Oooh, new thread. I'm in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.