Michael Jackson- Dangerous 2001 2-disc Special Edition (cancelled)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

When Dangerous was going to be re-released in 2001 as part of the MJ Special Edition catalog re-releases, it was going to have an entire second disc of rarities:

(Cut and pasted from the Dangerous Wikipeida page):

No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Bumper Snippet" (Kid Part) Michael Jackson, Bill Bottrell 0:18
    2. "Monkey Business*" Michael Jackson, Bill Bottrell 5:46
    3. "Work That Body" Michael Jackson, Bryan Loren 3:30
    4. "If You Don't Love Me" Michael Jackson 4:13
    5. "Serious Effect" (featuring LL Cool J) Michael Jackson, Teddy Riley 4:18
    6. "Happy Birthday Lisa" Michael Jackson 1:37
    7. "She Got It" Michael Jackson, Bill Bottrell, Teddy Riley 4:29
    8. "Black or White" (The Clivillés & Cole Radio Mix) Michael Jackson; rap lyrics by Bill Bottrell 3:34
    9. "Dangerous" (Early Version*) Michael Jackson, Bill Bottrell, Teddy Riley 6:38 10. "Who Is It" (IHS Mix) Michael Jackson 7:55
    * - Eventually released officially on The Ultimate Collection

Surely the bonus disc would've helped it sell better than just re-releasing it as-is, no? Weird.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

I just realized that missing from the (proposed) second disc is "Somone Put Your Hand Out" which was on the Europeon Pepsi promotional cassette single. A shame, because it's a great song (yes I know it's on the Ultimate Collection box).

3. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

A rip from the test pressing of the disc leaked online a few years back. It's pretty easy to find.

"This is a Test Pressing for the (eventually canceled) second disc of the Dangerous Special Edition that was intended to be released in 2001. These test pressings appeared to come from Bernie Grundman Mastering (with a Mastering date of 1/12/00). It appears that some fans went ahead and purchased one of these test pressings and began leaking it to the global Jackson fan base. While low quality MP3s were leaked at several Jackson sites (the collection was referred to as “Dangerous: The Real Special Edition”), the uncompressed near Image file from the test acetate was shared with a select few.

Eventually that image file was shared at MJJC (a very popular Michael Jackson community forum) which is where these FLACs have originated."

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. retrocool73

retrocool73 New Member

A shame it was cancelled as there are some great tracks in amongst the flab on Dangerous, though obviously this was the point when MJ lost the concept of quality control. Heal The World is seriously bad, but there is stuff like Who Is It, In The Closet & Remember The Time there to lift things up

5. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Yes, but at first "Someone Put Your hand Out" was planned as a bonus track for the "Bad" Special Edition. Don't know if it's the "Ultimate Collection" version or not though!

6. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

I thought I read somewhere(couldve been the net), where the second disc, was also supposed to include some 12" mixes/extendeds of some of the songs off the first disc?

7. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Sony cancelling the 2-cd version was just one more in an endless series of decisions seemingly aimed at making MJ fans the most miserable in the world.

At least the songs were leaked.

BusNoise likes this.
  8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I always thought it was odd that the special edition of Dangerous had no bonus tracks. Of course, the original album is 70+ minutes long, so there was no space available. It's a shame the second disc was cancelled; sounds like a great set. And MJ had some great demos and unreleased tracks.

BusNoise likes this.
  9. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

Yeah it's messed up how they cancelled it, at least it got online for fans to hear without Sony Music getting any money for it. Its a shame also that the later releases of the 2001 special editions dont have those cool sleeves. Also a recently leaked Dangerous era song is "Do You Know Where Your Children Are" which can be easily found online. There is a disc given to Sony executives in 1991 called "Promo-Flight Only" which contained an early version of Black or White and a song called Men in Black. There is also a track called Bottle of Smoke that MJ mentioned before that never got released.

BusNoise and Hep Alien like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think it was Sony's decision to make. I think there was tons of stuff they wanted to do that Michael's "advisors" shot down.

11. waldo

waldo Forum Resident

the version tentatively slated to appear on the Bad S.E. was an earlier version, a non Teddy Riley version.

12. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Thanks for letting me know that! Would love to hear that one, even though I love the 1992 released version very much!

13. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

Someone Put Your Hand Out is such a fantastic ballad, really wish more people knew about that song, even huge MJ fans may not know about that one.

14. PaulKTF

Agreed 100%! I think it's one of his bset. Should have made it onto the album.

15. PaulKTF

The album turns 25 in 2016 (where has the time gone?!) so maybe we'll get a nice 2-disc Deluxe Edition or (dare I hope?) Dangerous box set to commemorate the occasion.

16. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I'm sure we will. His estate has no qualms about not putting stuff out like MJ did.

17. PaulKTF

Dangerous was the last MJ album I really thoroughly enjoyed, so bring on the demos and outtakes!

heatherly likes this.
  18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yeah...this would be the first one I wouldn't purchase outright.

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well Off The Wall is 35 this year. Hopefully that comes out next. There isn't too much unreleased material from that era though right?

20. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

Most Michael fans, myself included are very pessimistic about the Estate. I'm hoping their recently reported tax fraud will get them out of the job.

I want nothing more than properly done, great quality releases of Michael's music as it was recorded. No re-releases, no compression, no remixes, no crap. Just uncompressed original music mastered by Bernie Grundman with a book of information about each track. How the executors can release Bad 25 without even talking to Quincy, Bernie, or Bruce Swedien is beyond me, especially when all these talents are still with us.

Michael's Estate has been awful with past releases. Bad 25 in the initial press release talked about a disc containing unreleased tracks and early demos of released songs on the album. What we got was just 6 new tracks, a bunch of previously released stuff, and 3 pointless remixes, not to mention being forced to buy a crappy sounding version of the original Bad album with it. Hot Fever, Pyramid Girl, and the early version of Another Part of Me were nowhere to be found as well as any other early demo of the officially released tracks. Songs from the era like "We Are Here To Change The World", "Cheater", and "Mind Is The Magic" were also ignored. Also the mastering was terrible and the songs were compressed (this has been going on with Jackson since 2001).

They did little to nothing to promote it. The Wembley Concert is a great show but we need a Michael Jackson concert blu ray. Michael has filmed most of his shows, it makes no sense why we don't have more releases. Rumor has it that the Estate located the 35mm film reels for Wembley just a few months after Bad 25 was released.

Michael Jackson's Vision has low quality crappy early 90s TV tapes as the source for their videos. Some films are missing, some are pointlessly cropped to create a fake wide screen version. Why thy were too lazy to go back to the sources and make high quality scans is beyond me.

The only one's for Off The Wall I am aware of are Sunset Driver and Goin To Rio, the former has been released. That being said, with Michael you really never know. "I'm So Blue" and "Abortion Papers" were songs no one had heard of (and weren't registered) before Bad 25 came out.

It wouldn't surprise me if some Off The Wall outtakes turned into Jackson's songs for Triumph. "Susie" is the title of a song Jackson wrote in 78, some believe it became "Little Susie". They Don't Care About Us was said to be written during the Bad era. Earth Song was from the Dangerous sessions. He is an artist known to have brought back certain songs more than 10 years later to work on them, this happened with "Much Too Soon" and "Cheater". It must be really hard to compile all his unreleased tracks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    heatherly and Torontotom like this.
  21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well they can do those silly remixes like they have been doing too and make enough material for a deluxe edition. The album should be celebrated as it's awesome.

22. PaulKTF

The album turns 25 (!) next year. Maybe we'll finally get this Special Edition (or something close to it) to commemorate the anniversary?

andy75 likes this.
  23. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

That's what I'm hoping for aswell. Many fantastic songs were left off the album. He saved tracks like:

Blood On The Dance Floor
    Someone Put Your Hand Out
    Monkey Business
    Earth Song

Lots of others too, but the ones I listed are my favourites. Even without these the album is near perfect!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.