Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots Chokma!

Naw that was all trash!

2. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I hope they release unrelease Barrett era stuff.

I'm still crossing my fingers that the BBC radio recording of "Vegetable Man" get's an official release. All that's circulating are 2 lowfi am radio dubs.

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I have The Shine On Box and Oh By The Way Box plus the individual CDs and the Piper Anniversary release. How much Floyd does one really need? I'm looking at that picture and thinking this looks too nice to pass up. :)

It's no wonder these albums have sold so many copies when a bunch of us own 5+ copies of each in multiple formats.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I bought the Japanese replica cds years ago so OBtW and this don't interest me unless the sound upgrade is noticeable to someone with cloth ears like me.

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

:realmad:Note the absence of marbles and coasters,
    a shameful exclusion indeed.:thumbsdn:

6. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

I'm guessing OBTW was a way to get rid of old stock of the previous masterings ... although I did read somewhere that Piper was the 2007 master and DSOTM was the 2003 master. Is that correct?

So, a nice box with new artwork was about all there was re: OBTW.

I'm just looking forward to picking up my favourite early stuff over time. I sold most of my Floyd in college. Silly, I know ...

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yeah, I thought that play-button logo was printed on the cardboard.

8. KeithH

If there was one, there's a good chance it would be sourced from digital.

It's too bad Analogue Productions didn't license a vinyl version of the box as they licensed the Wish You Were Here SACD. I'm sure they would do the vinyl box justice.

9. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Yeah it looks nice, blah blah blah blah. But let's be serious -- DSOM sacd can't be topped sound-wise, and only Animals, WYWH and The Wall matter to 99% of music fans. The rest are new coasters.

10. KeithH

:shake: Nice threadcrap.

The average music buyer obviously isn't the target of this box. It's for the serious Floyd fans.

11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Piper and Meddle has a lot of fans as well.

12. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Box does look very elegant and easy on the eyes. However, I'd love to hear some input regarding the remasters. How do they sound?

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

True, but that begs the question why it is called Discovery and why this box doesn't contain the Experience 2cd versions for the serious Floyd fans.

It sure looks nice though - may have to go on the Santa list!!

14. KeithH

It's for people who want all the studio albums. The casual fan or someone not wanting to spend too much can buy individual albums or just the new compilation. Then there are the two-disc and Immersion sets for the serious fans who want more.

I think EMI did a great job addressing the various buyer types and varying budgets.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Still no Relics :realmad:

16. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I feel you pain on that one. I have a nice grey market CD called A Nice Pair Of Mono's that also adds the Early Singles CD and The Let's All Make Love In London tracks all on one CD. Too bad they couldn't put something like that in the box with the rest of it to make it complete.

17. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Is Relics going OOP now that the previous remasters are now "obsolete?" Did it already go OOP? And it is a shame about the remaining tracks on The Early Singles ... hopefully they show up in a Piper/Saucerful Immersion set ...

18. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

Lots has been written on the relative merits of the ObtW box set. Clearly, it was a pick 'n' mix of masterings, the details of which have been examined here with genuine scholarly brilliance. I like it because I like physical stuff. The Dutch-made sleeves are very nice, although the coasters and poster seem like an afterthought. There should have been a booklet with career-retrospective essays, photos, recording info, and specific references to which masterings were used. Relics should have been part of it. But I like it nonetheless, and the version of Animals (with the original EMI cd mastering) is preferable to the Sax (imo). I'll buy this new box too. It looks amazing. I'm just allergic to the idea of the original sleeves being stamped with some horrid logo. (But no worries there.) It also looks like the AMLoR cover is without the ghastly header/footer lettering that detracted so much from the stunning photo. I look forward to detailed discussion as to how these sound.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

No scarves, no sale :laugh:

20. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Um. No.

21. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

I understand people have lives :)D), but when someone gets a chance, could they also post a pic of one of the CDs from the Discovery box? Curious to see if they retained old album artwork or if they made unique album art, which these guys tend to do ... (I think I read that there is unique album art for these, but I can't remember). Also ... any liners? Probably not with PF ...

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Attached Files:

23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Good point. But people seem to like the DSOTM 30th vinyl, so if I could get something of that quality for Meddle/Division Bell/etc, I'd love it.

24. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Why Pink Floyd?

I see some Internet pix have been posted herein already... but my local just yesterday got a promo poster for these new Floyd beauties~beasties a comin' out soon, so I thought I'd share some homemade pix,--glare and all--of both sides of this new poster...

The last pix is thee best.

Hope you enjoy! :righton:

cheers,

25. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Nope, the logos are only on the shrinkwrap, which I prefer. Reproduction quality is pretty good too. Nice printing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.