Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

How do you know what EMI planned for this?

Honestly after listening to the whole box, I think it IS for the average music buyer that either has missing stuff in their collection, worn out older LP's, etc etc.

I don't think the maniacal collector will be able to resist nitpicking these to death.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

How many people these days are buying box sets like this? They will be selling the individual CDs for people who don't want all the albums, which is very likely the majority of people who still buy CDs, just like they did with the Beatles remasters. The casual fan or budget-minded person can just buy the new Floyd compilation.

3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

That's the problem with the Discovery box. It doesn't have a clear market.

EMI have stated in the promo campaign that "Discovery albums are designed as an introduction to the artist", in other words the casual/new fan, yet what casual fan is going to want to buy a £130 box of all the albums.

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I know no one off this and similar online forums who will buy this box. Few people I know who like Floyd probably even know about it. How many copies will Best Buy stores get? Even at the holidays, not many. Barnes & Noble will probably get a handful, overprice them, and they'll sit there.

The name of the box makes no sense in this day and age because a large CD box set just doesn't appeal to many consumers.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

sound quality??

6. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Most Floyd fans will be far more interested in the Experience & Immersion editions.

There have been strong indications that Piper/Saucerful will get the Immersion treatment, & Animals and others may be released as Experience editions.

I'm sure most Floyd fans would rather save their cash for these rather than buying a box of the 'Discovery' editions, so the idea of the Discovery box is strange, overall.

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

The problem is you don't really know any of this stuff. What do you base your limited comments on? If you aren't talking to the record company and the retailer, this is all just speculation based on a very myopic view. How many people do you know that like Pink Floyd

A couple of our local record stores have told me they've got 35-50 pre-orders already, so every market is going to be very different.

So far, having only compared to a few things (more on the way) I'd give these an 8 out of 10. Not the absolute best mastering I've heard, but very good and very consistent from disc to disc.

Still more listening to do.

I don't know why someone who already has 2-5 copies of these would want this box for anything other than sentimental value. But, I can't say I really understand the completist/maniacal collector mentality terribly well. I can appreciate it, though.

I have a spotty collection of PF discs, so I'll probably buy this box, (this one was given to our editor, so I have to return it to him when I'm done listening). It's the same reason I bought the Miles box a while back, or even the Beatles box sets - they provided reasonably good sound with fresh packaging.

Next on the list is the 24/96 DVD-a from the DSOM Immersion box. That's the one I'm really anxious to hear what they've done.

8. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

It's not a DVD-A. Just a regular DVD with lossy surround mixes. The 24/96 is on the Blu-Ray.

9. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

I'm actually considering buying this for now until the packaging issues are sorted out for the Immersion editions. I have the key albums but only as mp3s, because I gave away most of my old CDs before I discovered this forum. I had the Immersion editions on pre-order, but when I found out those were in crappy packaging, I decided to order the Experience editions instead. But now I'm wondering if I should hold out to buy the Immersion editions used at some point (therefore not paying a premium for the marbles, etc.)--and in the meantime get this Discovery box so that I can listen to Pink Floyd on my stereo system instead of my computer or iPod.

Anyway, I guess I could be the target demographic for this. Not sure how many people like me exist, though.

10. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Giving you virtually the entire catalogue of the artist sorta upends the definition of the word "introduce."

11. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

How accurate are the sleeve reproductions? From the picture, it doesn't look as though Obscured by Clouds has the rounded edges, and there is no black shrink wrap for WYWH. Did James Guthrie do all the remasterings?

12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well digit packs are cruddy,so are those UK Mini's ,the Japanese Mini's are long out
    of Print,And they they aren't doing this time in Japan
    Seems a shame the company that does the boxes,is doing digit size extra boxes
    which seems like a total waste

13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

I still haven't even worked out which pressing/masterings of Shine On I have :laugh: - it doesn't match any of the ones listed on that terrific Floyd archive site. So at my rate maybe I'll get this in the year 2030!

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why I'm not ready to cancel my $100.99 preorder of May 10th just yet :

DISC 4 - DVD 2, ALL AUDIO VISUAL:

-Live In Brighton 1972:

Careful With That Axe, Eugene (previously unreleased on DVD)

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (previously unreleased on DVD)

-The Dark Side Of The Moon, 2003 documentary (25 min EPK)

-Concert Screen Films (60 min total):

British Tour 1974

French Tour 1974

North American Tour 1975

Screen films play in stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound

DISC 5 – BLURAY, AUDIO+AUDIO VISUAL

-AUDIO: The Dark Side Of The Moon, James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit

-AUDIO: The Dark Side Of The Moon, Original stereo mix (1973) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit

-AUDIO VISUAL: Live In Brighton 1972:

Careful With That Axe, Eugene (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (previously unreleased on DVD/BluRay)

-AUDIO VISUAL: The Dark Side Of The Moon, 2003 documentary (EPK)

-AUDIO VISUAL: Concert Screen Films (5.1 Surround Mix):

British Tour 1974

French Tour 1974

North American Tour 1975

-AUDIO VISUAL: Concert Screen Films (High Resolution Stereo Mix):

British Tour 1974

French Tour 1974

North American Tour 1975

DISC 6 - CD3:

-The Dark Side Of The Moon 1972 Early Album Mix engineered by Alan Parsons (previously unreleased)

- The Hard Way (from ‘Household Objects’ project)

- Us And Them, Richard Wright Demo (previously unreleased)

- The Travel Sequence, live from Brighton June 1972 (previously unreleased)

- The Mortality Sequence, live from Brighton June 1972 (previously unreleased)

- Any Colour You Like, live from Brighton June 1972 (previously unreleased)

- The Travel Sequence, studio recording 1972 (previously unreleased)

- Money, Roger Waters’ demo (previously unreleased)

Believe me, already having the Black Triangle, the Harvest Blackface, the MFSL, the SACD, Parson's Quad Mix, and several different (and valuable)vinyl incarnations, BUT not a lot of money, I'm beginning to question going through with this purchase, but everything listed above is not in my collection, so...

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Exactly. :cheers:

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Is this the general consensus? That original box was all trash?

17. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Trash? No way, incomplete yes. In still have mine, I like the book and rarities disc. I have the Oh By The Way Box too. I want to keep both boxes.

18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

In the new issue of UNCUT is a great Pink Floyd article that lays out the reissue plan quite well. Goes into significant detail as to many of the bits and pieces making up the recordings in the immersion sets.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

SHINE ON

The box you are referring to is titled "Shine On". And no, it is not trash. It has all upgraded mastering for the albums it contains. It does not contain several PF albums.

The catalog was remastered again a very few short years later, this time they included the albums not in the Shine On box. These new remastered CDs (sold separately) did not seem to improve (SQ) on what was in the box. Crazed Floyd fans will argue differently. (James Guthrie is on record saying D-A converters have improved, tapes are now aging, a big trade-off here for little improvement if any)

Then the Columbia period albums came out on Capitol/EMI (same mastering as previous remastered issues). With more Crazed Floyd fans swearing that they hear differences. (James Guthrie is on record saying no differences)

Interesting note, Animals CD in the UK did not get a remastered issue other than Shine On box until perhaps much later if at all.

But that is it pretty much. I've heard the early WYWH including expensive Japanese CDs. I heard way too much hiss. Same with DSOTM, hissy older masterings don't cut it for me. I like my Floyd to be dark and spooky and moody, AND FROM ORIGINAL MASTERS!!!. And a wall of hiss is a deal breaker for me with this band. (Crazed Floyd fans will disagree).

So, Shine On was a breakthrough for several albums in the set, mainly Saucer, WYWH, and Animals. But WYWH already was given a Mastersound gold disc issue which is great. The Wall already had an amazing UK Harvest CD issue in 1984/85. Meddle has a great MFSL gold disc. So it (shine On box) was a lot of money to get a rare singles CD, and a very fine Saucer and Animals.

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Could you possibly provide a link or scan of the article?
    Thanks in advance.

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

really? what did they say exactly?

22. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Was there a download card included?

23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I see you are USA based, anyone any idea how Uncut magazine release schedule works, is it the same issue for the UK as well, I would really love to get this magazine on the way to work tonight but don't want a wasted trip if it is not out yet etc ??

24. Lontano

Lontano Forum Resident

Uncut magazine can be downloaded on Zinio

25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Nah, give me the real printed thing:righton: Although i appreciate your info:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.