Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Forget nothing. Are the logos just stickers on the cellophane?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes. For the 3rd time in 3 days yes. :laugh:

3. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I'd always thought the Mastersound was a forum favorite. That's why I didn't think my comment about it's harshness would be appreciated.

4. botley

botley Forum Resident

No, I've always found that one harsh as well. I've never had a Wish You Were Here CD that I was entirely happy with, so my hopes are high for the 2011 remaster.

5. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Thank you.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Now that we've gotten the sticker situation sorted, I'm guessing the Toneaudio review of this box's sound has not been published yet?

7. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Cool. Glad, you found them. Actually, I'm finding I like the special PF issue even more, though Nick's interview was indeed revealing (i.e. next summer). Well, I am glad I did pick up the one with Bolan on the cover though because of the story on Wilco....who -- thread crap alert -- I am going to see on Tuesday night in your neck of the woods, at the Wang Theater in Boston (first trip into the city since we moved here in mid-August).

To tie it altogether, Pink Floyd Dark Side Immerision comes out the same day as Wilco's new album The Whole Love, which I also pre-ordered the 2-disc limited edition of...and I'm torn between which one I'm more excited about. I have these two pre-orders likely arriving the same day and I'm not sure how I'm going to manage it...:goodie:

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Ouch! Another magazine to buy:realmad:

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

granata likes this.
  10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah this is huge to me. At least the Beatles threw in Past Masters and Zeppelin Coda to try and tie things up in their sets.
    How such important singles like " See Emily Play" and "Arnold Layne" did not make it into this set in any form is inexcusable IMHO.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for the link! That was a nice read.

However, I'm still left with a few burning questions, maybe Jeff can answer?

The ObtW box included newest redbook masterings of a few titles, including The Final Cut, and DSOTM (?) that featured a more compressed and clipped sound compared to earlier versions, or the ones included via the Shine On box. Was it just those two? Some one can correct me... So my question: does Discovery use the 2007 masterings for those titles, or are they truly "new" and improved without the compression on these 2011 versions?

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I spoke with Jeff on the Discovery Box and IMO if EMI really wanted to sell a boat load of the sets all they had to do is include a 45rpm 7" pressing of Vegetable Man b/w Scream thy last Scream and they would have sold a copy to every PF fan.

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

As has been mentioned here before, the OBtW box is a mish-mash of newer Guthrie remasters (PatGoD, DSotM, TFC), Sax remasters (More, Umma, AHM, Wall), and unremastered EMI originals (ASoS, Meddle, WYWH, Animals). I don't know what the sources for the post-TFC albums were in that box.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

And it was the Guthrie three (PatGoD, DSotM, TFC) that had the limiting problem, right? I didn't pick up ObtW, as I have several versions of each of the catalog titles.

Looks like I likely don't need Discovery, either, based on Jeff's review.

Although, I may need to upgrade my MLOR, as the Shine On version I have is the super-quiet one.

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

I really like the sound of that one, despite it being a little quiet. You could always rip it, volume-shift it to peak at 98%, and re-burn it. You shouldn't lose any dynamics that way, and it will have a similar loudness profile to the rest of your Floyd collection.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yeah, I don't mind cranking up the volume a bit, I'm just interested in the newer (?) version that is maybe a completely different mastering.

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Why has no one commented yet on whether the red logos are on the covers, or if they are just on the wrapper?????

;)

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:rant:.............:laugh:

19. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

http://www.tonepublications.com/music/pink-floyds-latest/

Taken from the third review, third paragraph:

I'm assuming this portion of the review is actually pertaining to the Blu-Ray and not the Audio-DVD, but wanted to be sure.

The stereo mix on the Audio-DVD is supposed to be LPCM, but there's been no indication to this point whether that means 24 bit/48 khz LPCM (as I would have originally thought), 24 bit/96 khz or otherwise.

20. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Yes, all the Magic from start to Finish !

21. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I have a second press (US for US) that is stunning and I use it as a system demo disc...

22. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

So, are the logos stickers or printed on the actual digipaks?

This is the most important thing about this release.

23. Donutsss

Donutsss Forum Resident

24. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Pardon my ignorance of the terms: :confused:

ObtW

Sax

AmLoR

Could you decode them for me please.

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm not being lazy as I've searched through countless threads to find this research. I'd appreciate it of someone can point me to the posts that identify the remasters that were included in the Oh By The Way box. From what I understand it includes all of the Doug Sax remasters from the Shine On box along with all of the albums that were not included in that box set that were remastered shortly after it's release. Does this sound right? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.