Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You said a few posts earlier that Wish You Were Here was a bit louder and cleaner; question: louder and cleaner than which other version?

About Animals you said you didn't hear any improvement; question: improvement over which other version?

Your posts are quite vague.

2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

The Oh by the way one.

all over the oh by the way ones.

Wish you were here 2011 sounds pretty good IMO.

3. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I would buy a properly mastered and pressed vinyl edition of this box in a heartbeat!

4. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Huh?? You said you weren't sure if you were listening to the 2011 version! That's absolutely no help to anyone here. I don't care about some lossy digital download, I want to hear a review from someone who actually has the CD.

5. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Haha, no use trying to figure him out. We've wasted an entire page of this thread without getting any closer to my original question about the new version of Animals.

6. Smiths22

I was talking about animals and i mentioned it. Wait for tomorrow or a couple of hours more for the complete review that you want dude, not by me im still thinking about buying again the same stuff.
    OBTW im not posting only for you...

you have wasted an entire page? please tell me how much it cost you? enlight me please.

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

But you have no clue if it was the 2011 version...that doesn't help me, or anybody else here, dude. Just sayin'...anyway, not trying to start a fight, look forward to your review tomorrow. Thanks.

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

That would be me, I spent every dime I had as a broke 17 year old in 1992 to just for the Early Singles disc.

I'll take them any way I can but I think those two tracks are too high profile for their first official appearance to be a download.

9. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

I just thought; maybe it's just me, but instead of jumping on the new boxset, wouldn't it make more sense to stick around for and see if any more Experience/Immersion version are made, to avoid buying the same thing twice? :shrug:

10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yeah thats what I am doing! :righton:

11. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for hi-res...:)

12. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Hello all,

Just a precision : In this boxset, are the cd are sacd hybrid ? I thought i read on press thaht they ll include sacd ? Or maybe later ? im sure i read it anyway. Thanks for precision

Happy listenings
    Eric

13. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

No, all are CDs, not SACDs. WYWH will be released in SACD format in November. So far it's the only know new PF SACD.

14. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

Especially if you have the same things already.

15. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

+1
    Or what you already have is actually better.

16. nfloyd

nfloyd Member

I have listen to Animals 2011 Remaster.
    And for me its sounds amazing, its sound clearer and the seperation on it is better also its abit louder. Abit hard to explain.

Of course there won`t be that big diffrent between them compare to other remastred versions, and its also about the ears who listen to it, but indeed for me personal its sounding really really great.

And I have 7 other Animals on cd.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"its sound cleaner and the seperation on it is better also its abit louder. Abit hard to explain."

It sounds cleaner and a bit louder and the separation is better than what?? Like Smiths22 you are quite vague. Please specify which other version(s) you were comparing the 2011 remaster of Animals to.

18. nfloyd

nfloyd Member

I have compare it to the cd from the Original Shine On Box (the UK limited edition, doug sax masters)/1994 Remaster and the 2001 Japan Mini Lp replica cd.

By this I have only compare how it sounds in my ear and nothing more through my speakers (Dali) and the headphones (Shure)

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So what is there, the "Discovery", "Immersion" and "Experience" boxes? This is confusing.

20. nfloyd

nfloyd Member

well not so bad as you think. check out what is what and release date here: www.whypinkfloyd.com

21. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Here's a quick DR comparison of Time and Money between the Experience edition and the CP32 Black Triangle. I haven't had the time to give them a proper listen yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Pink Floyd / The Dark Side Of The Moon (EXPERIENCE)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -0.25 dB -13.11 dB 6:53 04-Time
    DR10 0.00 dB -12.95 dB 6:23 06-Money

Official DR value: DR10

Analyzed: Pink Floyd / Dark Side of the Moon (CP32 Black Triangle)
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR9 -8.14 dB -20.56 dB 7:05 03-Time
    DR11 -5.04 dB -20.02 dB 6:23 05-Money

Official DR value: DR10

Attached Files:

22. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

No surprise there, as the original Sony mastering is the quietest DSotM ever released. I'd me more curious to see a comparison to the Sax remaster.

23. Smiths22

check this:

http://www.whypinkfloyd.com/

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Thanks! :wave:

25. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

First sound impressions - the new DSOTM remaster sounds a bit more shrill and in your face than the black triangle. I particularly noticed that in the the Speak to Me vocals and the cymbals in Money. It seems it sacrificed some balance for top end detail.
    If I have to draw an analogy, I would say that comparing the DSOTM remaster to the black triangle is similar to comparing the WYWH MasterSound to the 2-track 35DP-4: balance & smoothness vs some shrillness & detail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.