Star Wars coming to Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Sorry, I see no boxes around the TIE Fighters in that scene ... and yes, I know what you're referring to. I'm not sure what Blu-ray you have, but the issue is fixed on mine.

2. chuckgp

chuckgp Active Member

My cheap-o display gives me the same, no oversat.

3. Great! I was getting a little nervous about that one. :laugh:

Seriously, I never understood how that wasn't fixed the last time around, given the painstaking Lowry Digital "restoration."

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I got the Blu-Ray set with the three most recently released titles. Watched the first movie, friggin' beautiful picture.

5. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Guido?

:)

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's how far GL's changes have gone - he took the Situation from "Jersey Shore" and plopped him in the movie! :laugh:

7. His Masters Vice

I don't see any issues with boxes or matte lines or anything like that. Also, the light sabers look much better than before - certainly better than on any DVD version.

There's a few scenes that still look a little dark - but not as bad as on the 2004 version - you can see this on the fleshtones of people in the background of these scenes. Their faces will look too red. It's not all the time ... just something that pops up occasionally. Obviously Lucas wants these scenes to look darker (and what Lucas wants, Lucas gets).

The CGI additions look better integrated than before - I imagine all that stuff has been re-rendered. I could do without that stuff - but at least it's better done this time around. There are one or two shots where the CGI is really over the top and annoying ... but then, you already knew that. Besides, the prequels are chock full of that kind of thing...

Even the "Greedo shoots first" thing is pulled off a little better. Unless you're paying close attention you might think they shoot at the same time (Greedo does shoot first but Han fires so quickly afterwards that you could easily imagine he was going to shoot anyway).

All in all it looks pretty great for a film released in 1977, particularly as most of it has not been meddled with.

One thing the original films have that the prequels mostly lack is a real sense of fun - the humor isn't just restricted to the banter of C3PO and R2-D2 (which can sometimes get annoying - not quite as annoying as Jar Jar Binks, but heading in that direction), there's also some nice exchanges between Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie. I don't get that feeling from the prequels. Yes, there is an uneveness in the "acting ability" stakes. Obviously Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing run rings around Mark Hammill and Carrie Fisher ... but ... what can I say? The original movie is fun. Lucas' meddling hasn't totally messed with that, at least in the first movie. I haven't watched "Jedi" on Blu-ray, but then I never thought Jedi was very good anyway, so I don't have much invested in it. The "Noooo" thing does seem very poor - even if I'd never seen the original I would have thought that redone scene (which I've watched on YouTube) was very blah.

There were a lot of strong, simple, visuals in the original film - but it seems like Lucas just can't resist overdoing things. It does seem that a lot of really good work occurs when someone with talent has to grapple with technological limitations. Nowadays it is possible (with a large budget) to depict virtually anything on screen - the only limit now is the imagination - and it seems that unfettered imaginations are not necessarily all that inspired. I think it helps to have boundaries.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is a visual effects problem, not a film element problem. All Lowry (now Reliance Mediaworks) was in charge of was 1) reducing grain, 2) eliminating flicker, 3) reducing color fading, and b) sharpening. A content problem -- like a garbage matte/visual effects issue -- is a client decision.

I'm waiting for the "All Gungan Edition," where every single character is replaced by a gungan. Except JarJar, who's replaced by Carol Channing. Maybe that'll add some fun.

9. His Masters Vice

:laugh:

Throw in Carol Burnett - and arrange to have the gungans shot at some point in the proceedings - and we've got a deal.

10. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Well said, and totally agree.

11. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

It worked for SKIDOO and SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.