Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Which was which in this analogy please ? I put the Mastersound on eBay as soon as I heard my 2 Track (J for US).

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thanks for the comparisons oldschool. since I happen to prefer the Gold WYWH over the 2 track I might like these new ones. BUT the question remains, are they better than the Doug Sax or MFSL discs?

3. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

balanced & smooth: Japan 2-track
    shrill & detailed: MasterSound

Sorry, I don't have the Sax remasters to compare to and my MFSL DSOTM is not around.

4. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Dynamic range (DR) is the difference between the loudest recorded sound (peak level) and the quietest (background noise, not including 'digitial silence' between tracks). What's usually presented as 'DR' here is typically the difference between the peak level and the average level. This isn't really the DR, it's actually the 'crest factor', a different but useful comparative metric. I suspect that's what's being reported in this case too.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thank you! :righton:

In addition, a friend posted this info on another forum...

Any music which is adjusted to have a Dynamic Range value under 10-12 is indicative of compression abuse. Any recording at that range or above (preferrably over 12) is considered to be a more "natural" recording, meaning it has little dynamic processing and more dynamic range.

6. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Thanks for all the info so far peeps. Any comparisons to the Sax remasters?

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

That's pretty much what we've all been waiting for on this thread...still waiting.

8. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In your opinion. Oldschool is entitled to his view.

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So who do you believe? :)

What a happy topic.

11. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

12. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Umm..

Did that last week at the beginning of the thread. They are nearly identical if not completely identical. If you've already got the OBTW box, I can't see any reason for buying Discovery, unless you just want it.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

But aren't the contents of the OBTW box set all over the place in regards to the mastering/versions that were included?

IMO, a comparison with the Doug Sax remasters included in the Shine On box, along with the subsequent releases (remastered by DS) would be more informative and fairer comparison. Example: You wouldn't want to compare Animals from the OBTW box to this new release as the differences would be light years apart.

I'm looking forward to comparing these new releases to the DS remasters but will still have to wait until tomorrow for the US release.

And, being a hardcore fan who has purchased multiple versions of each release over the years, from vinyl on, I would feel better knowing that I had the definitive version, even if these new remasters offered the slightest upgrade. For me... it's not about the money.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Hey Myke, I know you have the Mofi Meddle.

Is the new mastering comparable?

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

As was pointed out previously, only More, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds, and The Wall are Sax remasters in that box. So actually, you didn't compare most of the albums to the Sax remasters.

EDIT: forgot The Wall initially.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I dunno. I don't have any new PF, and when I do, it'll only be the DSOTM & WYWH LPs.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I know not ALL of the discs in the OBTW set are Sax remasters.

The new masterings that interest me most are Meddle, Saucerful Of Secrets, More, and Animals.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, an informative, yet slightly misguided review.

20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

If anyone wants to dip a toe rather than jump in head first, Target is running a similar deal on the PF reissues as they did on the Beatles reissues... buy any two CDs (or T-shirts!?) and they give you a $5 gift card (which you can then take and go buy more CDs with, presumably, but in a separate transaction). Starts tomorrow -- they list the new DSOTM at $9.99, but not sure what the pricing is on all of these or which titles they will actually be carrying.

Given that, I might just go pick a couple up and see if they're good -- if not, I'm not out much money and if they are, I have a gift card to defray my next purchase!

21. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Are the downloads available tomorrow?

22. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

It looks like only DSOTM is $9.99 .... this one is $14.29.

BestBuy has them all for $9.99 ($19.99 for the double disc sets) .... might do better there.

:cheers:

23. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Thanks for the update !

Ok now when i see the press release from some month from EMI, they said : SACD. ANyone got a realese date of this set on sacd ? Any info ? EMi please ?

Happy listening

Eric

24. Ern

Ern Senior Member

I only heard 'A Saurceful Of Secrets' so far, and there's clearly an improvement. :righton:

25. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I listened to the new Meddle last night.

:)

Though I did no direct comparisons I have had the MoFi for a long time. The new mastering has much deeper and more defined bass, it was a significant improvement. Maybe not quite as 3-D in soundstage, a little airier though.

I liked it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.