Music of the Spheres - The Ultimate 13th Floor Elevators' Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by *Zod*, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unique Features of Music of the Spheres
    The first releases on vinyl of two albums Headstone, the band’s planned first album which was never released at the time and Live in California - The Avalon Recordings. These vinyl albums will only be available in this package.

The first official vinyl release of A Love That’s Sound, the group’s lost third album, now featuring a recently discovered and never previously heard track Some Day, My Love, which was originally intended as the 6th single.

Three stunning 8 inch (200cm) 3D lenticular prints of the album artwork for The Psychedelic Sounds of, Bull of the Woods and Easter Everywhere.

The Sumet Sounds Masters EP, a six track 10 inch EP of Bob Sullivan’s original stereo ‘desk mixes’ of 5 tracks from The Psychedelic Sounds of recordings plus the highly desirable early version of the band’s second single Reverberation from an acetate, only previously available on the long sold out Sign of the 3 Eyed Men CD box set . This disc will only be available in this package.

A limited edition numbered certificate of authenticity.

Full Contents
    •A strong thirteen inch square hard box, featuring a unique 3D lenticular cover image of the iconic Zebra man artwork which was used on a poster advertising the band’s performance at the Avalon Ballroom.

•A 2-LP gatefold sleeve edition of The Psychedelic Sounds of, mastered from the original tape source. Album one is the mono edition; album two the original stereo mix and thus different to the version on Sign of the Three Eyed Men. This, as for Easter Everywhere and Bull of the Woods below is the first vinyl reissue from the original tape sources of the stereo editions for over three decades. Album two is the first ever vinyl pressing of the album in the band’s intended running order.
    •A 2-LP gatefold sleeve edition of Easter Everywhere, mastered from the original tape source. Album one is the mono edition; album two the original stereo mix. This is the first official mono reissue of the album since 1967.

•A 2-LP gatefold sleeve edition of Bull of the Woods/A Love that’s Sound. This is the first release on vinyl for the latter and it contains a recently discovered and never-heard before version of Some Day My Love, the song originally scheduled as the band’s 6th single
    •The first ever vinyl release of the band’s unreleased first album Headstone.
    •The first official vinyl release of Live in California-The Avalon Recordings
    •The Sumet Sounds Masters EP, a six track 10 inch EP of Bob Sullivan’s original stereo ‘desk mixes’ of 5 tracks from The Psychedelic Sounds of recordings plus the highly desirable early version of the band’s second single Reverberation from an acetate, only previously available on the long sold out Sign of the 3 Eyed Men CD box set . This disc will only be available in this package.
    •Stunning 8 inch (200cm) 3D lenticular prints of the album artwork for The Psychedelic Sounds of, Bull of the Woods and Easter Everywhere.
    •A 36 page full colour revised edition of Sign of the Three Eyed Men the book by Paul Drummond, packed with rare band memorabilia and photos, which traces the strange history of the band
    •A limited edition numbered certificate of authenticity.
    This package is a limited edition which is available only from the International Artists website.

2. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

I've just sent an email to Burning Shed, asking if we're going to get the 1976 stereo mixes once again instead of the original ones... let's see what t hey have to say about it.

Doc

3. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I hate to sound skeptical. . . .but we've heard this before about 'original' stereo mixes.. . let's just hope they get it right.

4. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Oh God, these guys are killing me.
    I thought I could be done with the Three Eyed Men CD box set, but that has proven not to be the case.
    Do I REALLY need all this again on vinyl?

Must...... be........ strong..........

5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Some Day My Love appears to be the only "new" track (previously unreleased in any form) - will this be on the deluxe Bull of the Woods CD release?

6. LFSDoc

and no reply so far... :sigh:
    doc

7. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

Taken from the International site: a remastered version of the original stereo mix and thus different to the version on Sign of the Three Eyed Men.

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's not on there, unless it is the similarly titled, "Wait For My Love."

9. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

What does "original tape source" mean? Aren't the masters long gone? My knowledge of the source material isnt strong.

10. LFSDoc

At last, I have received a reply from the label... I wish I'd never ask in the first place:
    "For several decades the Holy Grail for any 13th Floor Elevators fan has been to locate a tape source for the three original albums, since the original vinyl pressings were cheaply and poorly pressed. Amongst the stash of International Artist tapes discovered in the Charly Holdings were transfers of the stereo safety masters of Psychedelic Sounds Of... and Easter Everywhere made in 1976 by Ray Rush. No mono masters other than one reel of The Red Crayola LP Parable of the Arable Land existed. The original Bull of the Woods LP master still existed, as did all the other stereo IA LPs.

The original stereo mix for Psychedelic Sounds was made by the IA bosses without the Elevators approval. They also reprogrammed the LP’s running order. We have included in the new vinyl box set a 10 inch disc of the original Sullivan stereo cold desk mixes- the instruments are panned totally differently and without added reverb and echo.

Approximately, to date, there have been over 30 reissues of the Psychedelic Sounds Of sourced from the original stereo vinyl mix. Any casual fan will already own this in some shape or form, and Snapper/Charly have had this on catalogue for nearly two decades.
    Instead of making a yet another vinyl dub of the Psychedelic Sounds stereo LP , we have digitally remastered the LP to sound more like the original recordings and presented in the band’s intended running order – for the first time. It is therefore different to the original November 1966 stereo mix first issued in 1967. Since the original metalwork for the LP stampers doesn’t exist - there is no question that diehard fans should own the original LPs as any form of replication will have altered the original sound."

oh dear... :sigh:
    Doc

LePompDior and Monkees Fan like this.
  11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Thanks for the digital legwork getting some answers on the source material. I think Ill pass on this set.

12. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

I said it once, and I'll say it again. . . they just can't get it right. More reissues of the same 1976 mixes. . .sigh. Still hoping for the best, but I am a realist, so we'll see.

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

But these 1976 transfers of the stereo safety tapes are not the same as the original stereo tapes/stereo vinyl releases of the first two albums, correct? The originals I thought had wider stereo imaging and less reverb?

14. LFSDoc

exactly. and that's what I had written to the label, but they don't seem to either read the fan's emails, or just listen to the original LPs.
    Doc

15. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Forum Resident

As much as I dig "Sign of the 3-Eyed Men" and it's the best quality the Elevators have ever sounded to this date (and I actually own the boxset), the tracks do suffer from some loudness war compression.

Here's to hoping that the vinyl box set gets the audiophile treatment, and that we see needledrops of these guys popping up on the Internet. So in that sense I'm looking forward to this. :shh: ;)

16. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

anyone know when this is coming out?

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

18. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Just got this in my inbox:

"We are expecting our copies of The 13th Floor Elevators - Music Of The Spheres - The Ultimate 13th Floor Elevators’ Vinyl Box Set tomorrow afternoon and we will start shipping early next week.

We are very sorry for the delay - thanks for your patience!"

19. moody grooves

moody grooves Member

Have you received it yet? how does it sound?

20. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Haven't gotten it yet ... don't expect to until at least next week. According to the email, the boxes are shipping this week.

Dale

21. jpstooges

jpstooges Forum Resident

22. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

My LP box just arrived ... Tuesday, 10/4 here in Japan.

It arrived in a big padded envelope!!!!
    But not to worry -- it's boxed inside the envelope, so it arrived safely despite it coming from the other side of the world.

I got #1352 of 3,000.

The packaging is very cool. I'll try to get pics up later this week. Even the packing slip is a package collectible you will want to keep.

I've just started in on the exhaustive 44 page (LP-sized) history booklet titled "Sign Of the Three-Eyed Men, Revised Edition 2011."

The discography in the back pages looks to have core fans/collectors in mind. Pics of all the (US domestic) label variations, details including the matrix numbers of each of the successive pressings...

I'm really looking forward to this...I just hope the sound quality lives up to the deluxe packaging.

Back soon...

Dale

23. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

How does the sleeve artwork look?

The youtube promos show them working very hard on the covers -- getting the colors matched, etc. Hopefully that means they look great.

24. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

First screw-up:

Headstone The Contact Sessions and Live In California are mis-labeled/reversed.

Side 1 of Headstone The Contact Sessions can be found on Side 2 of Live In California, and Side 1 of Live In California can be found on Side 1 of Headstone The Contact Sessions.

Sheesh.

The good news is that, so far, Headstone... sounds great to my ears -- powerful, full bodied mono mix, pretty good, even-handed masteering to vinyl. Whatever the source was, it sounds like it was a good one. But than, as this is/was an unreleased LP, there's nothing to compare it to AFAIK...except that You're Gonna Miss Me and Tried To Hide sound like they might be the original 45RPM single mixes.

More later.

Dale

25. moody grooves

moody grooves Member

Thanks can't wait to hear how they sound! keep us posted...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.