The official "random Star Wars stuff" thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

There's been so much discussion lately about the new Star Wars blu-ray releases, I thought it would be fun to start a new thread where we can talk about anything Star Wars-related besides the blu-rays. Pretty much anything is fair game.... discuss your favourite scenes; point out plot holes or bloopers that have always irked you; ask questions about things you don't understand in the films... anything you'd like. As long as it's about Star Wars and doesn't involve the blu-rays, bring it on! :)

I'll get things underway with a plot hole/goof that has always bugged me ever since I was a little kid....

During the trench run sequence at the end of Episode IV, just before Han appears in the Falcon, Vader locks onto Luke's x-wing and says "I have you now", and then very clearly FIRES, just as one of his wingmen is destroyed by Han. But Luke doesn't get hit! He's not even grazed by the shot. The other wingman bumps into Vader's TIE, Vader goes spinning off into space, Luke makes the final torpedo launch which destroys the Death Star... and it's as if the fact that Vader FIRED has been totally ignored. Luke should technically be dead, like so many of his fellow Rebel pilots who fell victim to TIE laser blasts... but no, he's safe and sound! What the heck is up with that? :rolleyes: ;)

905 likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think that we're supposed to believe Vader's aim/shot were knocked off-target due to Han's intervention. After all, that's what made Han a hero: he eliminated Luke's pursuers...

3. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

My three year old is very into Star Wars. (8 year old never really too interested.) My mom recently gave me my old Star Wars figures for him. He carries them around in a metal Empire Strikes Back lunch box. Those action figures really brought back some memories. The Rancor monster is really cool (doesn't fit in the lunch box though.)

4. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I still have my AT-AT. One of the few Star Wars toys from my youth that survived my little brother.

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That AT-AT was a favorite of mine, too. But I don't think I was ever as excited on Christmas morning as the time I woke up to this:

Attached Files:

7. Atari265278

:righton:

My brother had that & I'd always send my Millennium Falcon on a suicide mission to crash into it.:D

garrincha and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

My wife and I find it quite amusing that when the films were new (1977-1983), the catch phrase used in the media, by stand-up comics, by talk show hosts, on playgrounds, etc. was "May the force be with you."

Now, "These are not the droids you're looking for." has been adopted as the cool and hip Star Wars line of dialogue to recite.

9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Some random Star Wars thoughts:

The Star Wars Holiday Special is some of the absolute worst television I've ever seen.. and I've enjoyed TV/films that are "so bad they're good". Lucas was smart to try bury it as much as possible, and definitely learned his lesson in trusting others with a franchise like that.

The Phantom Menace was the only film I've ever seen in a theater where people stood up and applauded at the end.

I've got a Return of The Jedi poster in my office. A poster for Star Wars is in my music room. But my favorite film is probably The Empire Strikes Back, which I am just realizing I should get a poster for.

I remember one childhood friend/fellow Star Wars nut (who was literally the son of a preacher man) was instructed to turn his head during Leia's bikini scenes when Return of the Jedi premiered at the theater.

Of all the things people on the internet complain about with the prequels, the one that bothered me most was shifting from the original trilogy's regard as being a Jedi as an implied "religion" to the whole midicholorians thing presented in The Phantom Menace. And yes, I know about Gary Kurtz (and his contributions before his departure).

Okay, maybe seeing R2-D2 flying was a bit of a hard pill.

Prequels included, I'd rather watch a Star Wars film than most sci-fi films, they're still fun.

10. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

It was nice to watch the original trilogy in theaters back in the '97. I was a senior in high school at the time, and I can remember planning on seeing The Empire Strikes Back with my best friend after we did our community service hours at a hospice. I remember before going to the theater that day, we stopped at 7-11 and bought the Super Big Gulps adorned with the films' characters. Plus, we got bean and cheese burritos. :p
    And then, with the prequels, I totally was into the Darth Maul character. I tried my best in getting anything associated with him. Plus, I didn't have my driver's license yet, and rode my bike almost everywhere where there was a Taco Bell. I wanted the Darth Maul cup and cup topper. Got the topper, but never the cup. :/

11. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I've also been known to quote "But I was going into Toche Station to pick up some power converters" in a really whiny voice.

12. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Oh man, so has "It's a TRAP!" :agree:

13. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Robot Chicken Star Wars episodes are a lot of fun.

jerol

DementedAvenger and ZoSoUK like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Watched the Prequel Trilogy over the weekend and the OT today.

Interesting to see what PT moments connected fine with the OT - and which didn't.

One thing that didn't make much sense: in the OT, Obi-wan prattles on and on about how Yoda trained him, but that's not true: in the PT, Qui-Gon trained him.

I also never thought about it but I realized the scene in which the Jawas stalked and captured R2 made no sense. They're in the middle on nowhere - do the Jawas just sit there waiting for years on end in case a stray droid wanders through the canyon?

And why bother to hop out and surprise him? Just frickin' walk up to R2 and SHOOT HIM like you do anyway!

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

At the end of EpIII, Obiwan and Yoda talk about continuing his training on Tatooine. Basically, Yoda taught him how to live via the Force, after death.

16. Eman

Eman New Member

Ive got a bad feeling about this.

Bewaremylove likes this.
  17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

We also saw Yoda instructing the Younglings in ATOC. It's quite possible he taught Obi-Wan prior to Qui-Gon taking him as his apprentice.

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'm pretty sure after watching the OT on bluray with my kid that my sarcastic cynical sense of humor is directly related to watching star wars in the theater when I was three.

'one things for sure, we're all gonna be a lot thinner'
    'great shot kid! Don't get cocky'

Also han solo smuggling spice for jabba - it dawned on me just now, drug smuggling? Like pot or poppies? I can't imagine having to be secretive about cinammon

19. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Ditto for me on the multi-level Death Star playset. Huge thrill -- probably the coolest toy I ever got for Christmas. Also, earlier was the first set of 8 or so figures set up on the coffee table on Christmas.

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Pretty much: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spice

ianuaditis likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Would you believe: missed him by that much...

[​IMG]

Read The Secret History of Star Wars, and you'll find a couple of hundred things that don't exactly make sense (or require a big stretch of imagination).

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Something interesting to think about....

The entire original trilogy would have likely never even taken place if it hadn't been for that one Imperial officer on board the Star Destroyer ordering his gunner to "hold your fire, there are no life forms aboard."

;)

RK2249, fuhrsy31 and Bewaremylove like this.
  23. Atari265278

Yes, but we'd still have the prequels.:shake::cry:

24. drukgs

drukgs Forum Resident

Here's another option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzoeEdW-EDQ

25. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Got that for christmas as well back in the day. My mom passed it along for my 8 year old a few years back, but it was unsalvageable. Only endor speeder bike and an AT-ST survived. And most of the figures are intact. Death Star, Endor playset, Hoth battle playset and X-wing fighter didn't make it. I'd like to think it was my younger brother.