Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

You'd never know until you've heard the original master ;)

2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I have the OBTW box but am planning to pick up a couple of the remastered discs tomorrow to sample the reissue campaign. I am looking for albums that could benefit most from a new remastering compared to what I have in the OBTW box and am leaning towards Saucerful of Secrets and WYWH. Are these good choices for improved sound over OBTW?

3. comes_a_time

comes_a_time Forum Resident

While my equipment is relatively modest as is my knowledge of the ins and outs of the pressing and mastering details of this wonderful band's back catalogue, I have listened through the new versions of Animals and Wish You Were Here, and (to me) they do offer slight improvements on my versions of the albums from the OBtW box. My skills in describing these types of things are poor so I'll just stick with saying that the improvements I heard are in "overall clarity". More so in Animals than WYWH. The vocals are so clear I think I heard Roger breathing in a couple of times during "Pigs" (and I don't mean during the removed lines during the "Whitehouse" section!). I was able to crank up both with not a hint of distortion or fatigue!

I'm looking forward to sitting down tonight, having a beer or two and listening through the new version of The Wall!

4. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So are the booklets anything new compared to 1994 or Shine On versions?

5. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

yep, WYWH 2011 sounds much better mainly clearer.

6. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Yes, I have the Euro version. I didn't even know there was another!!!

7. comes_a_time

comes_a_time Forum Resident

Yes. Basically credits and lyrics with photos in the background. A few of the photos I hadn't seen before, at least in the Animals booklet. That is not to say they haven't circulated.

I can't speak for the book that comes with the set as I only bought a couple of individual titles.

8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thanks for the reply.
    I suppose it will be little surprise or maybe slight disappointment, unless I dont have too high expectations. I was alarmed since someone claimed on some Amazon review that for example The Division Bell had almost the same booklet as the previous editions.

9. nfloyd

nfloyd Member

If I`m not to wrong Oh By The Way didn`t offer any new remastring just for that box. All albums in it was old remastred albums from 1992 - 2007

10. LordRatcatcher

LordRatcatcher Forum Resident

Has anyone out there compiled a table or spreadsheet of all the different versions/remasters of each of the Floyd albums? I'm getting confused as to which release uses which master/remaster

e.g Animals. Did I read somewhere that the supposed 1994 remastered version isn't remastered at all, and is just the 1985 original CD version?

Surely some sort of table is in order here?!

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

any real reason to pick it up if I can get the cds cheaper separately?

12. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

For what I looked from various websites, it seems that getting Discovery boxset is cheaper than buying all the discs separately. And you get nice box to store them and it includes a book as well.

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

not were I am ! they are selling the discs at $19.99 while the box set is $249

14. nfloyd

nfloyd Member

I might be wrong but I think in the UK animals from the original limited edition of Shine On (not the ones that came after) is remastred, not really sure about the regular versions but I have a feeling its not. Same with the USA one. Don`t think it wasen`t before the 1997 release you got the remaster of it.

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

14 X 19.99 = 279,86

279,86 > 249

:confused:

I'd also expect "Ummagumma" and "The Wall" to be more expensive than the single discs.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That would be helpful.

17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

sorry I'm tired ! long day! lol! but yeah 249 is a lot !

18. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

If only would have known when bought OBTW-boxset, that it does not have the "best" remasters around, I would have left it to self.

Well, now with these newones I suppose we can in Europe too have all the discs at same remastering level and theres not that much radical differences as it was previously.

19. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Correct that there was no new remastering for the box, however some of the titles predate Doug Sax's 1992 remasters... Animals for one and a few others.

20. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Is there any pictures of the book anywhere, I can't find any. Is it a proper hardback, proper good book like the one in Shine On?

I don't know WHAT to do about these Floyd remasters, am starting to think my Floyd collection is a mess, but apart from Saucerful, Meddle and Animals I have no original vinyl to compare with, whether to get More, Ummagumma, and, er more..!

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Dont have my copy yet (should be shortly) so cant post pics and its not hardcover book unfornately.

But I found this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-LiBBMP-8

22. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Most of the Discovery editions that I ordered came today. First of all, I've now listened The Wall and the sound quality compared to EMI European 1994 release is.. well, amazing! It sounds fantastic, full of warmth and dynamics but not too dark etc.

But the second thing: these cardboard sleeves/gatefolds are one the worst that I have ever had or used. I took one booklet out it and putting it back was very painful. The booklet and disc places in the gatefold are too tight.

A few of the CDs had very little and thin marks (I would say "Near Mint"), maybe it's because of the tight packaging. But overall, I'm quite happy with these.

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Are the sleeves the same kind of design that The Beatles 09 Remasters have?

24. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. Am I the only one to be slightly dissapointed that the booklets seem to be more or less the 90's versions used over again? It takes away a bit of the sense that these remasters are "the current standard". I know it can't be compared completely but what would you think if The Beatles 2009 remasters had the old CD booklet stuck into the new cardboard sleeve just with a few notes about them being newly remastered. This could be a opportunity to have new sleeve notes, other pictures, fresh design etc. I know it is not really important (the sound is) but I like it when you can tell that there have been real focus on details.

25. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I have only had Red and Blue doubles in my hands but if I remember right, they are quite similar than The Wall Discovery edition (2CD). The other Discovery editions aren't similar - when you open it, you just have the booklet on the left pocket and the disc on the right pocket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.