Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

sorry hutlock...but lighten up man just tryin to help...sheez

2. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Dreaming and hoping for Japanese SHM mini-lp sleeve pressings using the 2011 remasters. Any chance? I'm just dying to already purchase this catalog again :)

3. Runt

Runt Senior Member

The price of those will be more like buying the catalog SEVERAL times again. ;)

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

True! But c'mon - it's Floyd!

5. botley

botley Forum Resident

"Clearly louder"? I saw an EAC rip log claiming that this 2011 disc is the quietest CD of The Division Bell yet... not a single 100% peak.

6. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Did they have the Lil' Wayne/Nick Mason "Duets" album on sale?

:D

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

They have T-shirts in boxes, but they aren't including any music. In my Target, they were actually on the same display rack as the Beatles 45's/T-shirt sets, in the back wall of the music department (where no one will ever find them... :sigh:)

8. Rfi

Rfi New Member

EAC peak percents for reference/comparison to old masters/issues

Lapse of reason
    65.7 77.8 75.8 76.3 76.4 79.0 75.5 46.7 77.7 46.3 78.6

atom heart mother
    100 90.1 100 100 100

more
    80 100 52.3 93.9 81.5 94.7 81.0 100 100 69.1 94.1 97.1

obscured by clouds
    100 100 99.2 99.0 100 99.8 100 95.2 100 99.8

division bell
    68.7 85.6 86.2 82.3 84.3 70.6 86.7 86.1 86.8 84.2 86.1

final cut
    100.0 100.0 46.8 77.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 69.7 100.0 100.0 94.6

ummagumma
    100.0 80.0 96.2 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 87.5 100.0 52.2

the wall
    100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 67.1 67.6 100.0 100.0 100.0 100.0 33.0

meddle
    100.0 89.7 100.0 100.0 70.1 100.0

dsotm
    40.6 % 92.8 % 99.5 % 96.6 % 98.4 % 100.0 % 90.6 % 100.0 % 99.7 % 100.0 %

animals
    52.8 100.0 % 100.0 % 100.0 % 100.0 % 50.6 %

saucerful
    100.0 % 100.0 % 100.0 % 100.0 % 100.0 % 100.0 % 100.0 %

piper
    87.0 82.2 82.2 87.0 87.0 87.0 87.0 87.0 86.8 87.0 87.0

meddle
    100.0 89.7 100.0 100.0 70.1 100.0

9. botley

botley Forum Resident

You ripped these yourself? Or found them somewhere online? I'm trying to independently confirm another online source.

10. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Ripped myself using Plextor Premium test and copy mode with no c2, cache disabled. Basically the foolproof method of ripping CDs with EAC. CRCs (think of them as file signatures) matched for all tracks to ensure every single sector was copied correctly. I go the whole nine yards when porting over my music to my HTPC :)

11. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Is there a simple way of telling me what these numbers tell you. I see people posting them but it is hard to figure what it all means. I would think 100% would be good but then you see numbers much lower.

12. Rfi

Rfi New Member

The peak level -- where the loudest part of the track goes to in % -- 100% meaning at least one peak hits 0dB RMS. Lower than 100% means that it wasn't normalized to 0dB RMS. The significance of peak values is for comparison to old issues, if all track peak %s match up it usually means they are the same mastering.

EDIT- Example of a track that hits 100%, with the peaks circled. http://simplest-image-hosting.net/png-0-rns

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

By themselves, the numbers tell you nothing. Just because something peaks at 100% doesn't mean it's clipped. But if everything peaks at 100%, it can be hint that some limiting/brickwalling might be going on.

But mostly, these EAC peak level numbers help us identify what unique master a CD is made from, when packaging alone doesn't tell the whole story. Since all these CDs are supposed to be new, that doesn't really apply here.

So other than to prove these new CDs are indeed unique masters, the numbers don't tell much at all.

14. ChrisPineo

ChrisPineo Active Member

I didn't get the discovery box but I did get 8 of the CDs individually and I have to say the packaging is disappointing. The front covers and artwork are vivid and thats good but they should replicate the front and back covers of the original vinyl. The CDs themselves should replicate the label on the vinyl or come close unless label rights prohibit it (ex. Rhino redoing Chicago's Columbia catalog, obviously they can't replicate a Columbia label). They only did the front covers (and thats on most of them).

I know most CDs don't do all of that but a high quality reissue campaign should IMHO.

Not to mention the digipak with slots and no covers. Have to be careful not to scratch them.

The booklets and labels do look very nice so that's good but you can't do better (again, IMO) than replicate the original vinyl issue as much as possible. The cute little designs on the CDs aren't doing it for me. Sorry. My bad for not doing more careful research.

And Itunes is plastering "2011 Remaster" on the CDs and tracks. Ugh!

OK, rant over. The sound is the thing and I haven't had the chance to listen yet. And again, they do look very nice.

15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Easy enough to fix.

16. ChrisPineo

ChrisPineo Active Member

You're right of course but a bit of a pain. But it does let me keep the original in tact long enough to cut and paste the artwork instead of looking for it on Amazon. Its not a biggie. :)

17. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I wonder why they'd make the Momentary Lapse and Division Bell remasters so quiet compared to the others?

Surely it's a good thing to have at least 1 of the tracks peak at 100% otherwise it's just wasted headroom?

18. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Indeed. I looked at the waveforms for tracks that were at 100% and I did not see ANY evidence of hard limiting. I also zoomed in on quiet passages and did not see the hallmarks of NR.

19. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Indeed, to use the 16-bit bandwidth most efficiently it is best for the studio to normalize the highest peak to 0dB RMS (without use of hard limiting/compression obviously).

Likewise when playing via S/PDIF, HDMI, or other digital outs, keep the volume of the software, OS, etc at 100% to get the most of your bits. Use only the amp/receiver to control volume.

20. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

So what is the not so early consensus?
    No difference? Worth picking up?

21. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Yes, that's little strange. I listened AMLOR quickly and it sounded a bit compressed and Gilmour's guitar had 'distortion' in Dogs of War for example, but has it always been like that? I mean that is it a problem with the recording and mixing of the album?

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I got my discovery box from CD Universe today, and much to my surprise (not sure if this was posted yet or not by anyone else), there was a very high quality T-shirt in the box. My Discovery box came packed inside a larger cardboard box, with the Discovery box in it's original cardboard box (unopened). This tells me the T-Shirt I received was probably a "spiff" that they (Cd Universe) included as a nice gesture.

The t-shirt is black with the Dark Side of the Moon rainbow logo on both sides. The front of the shirt says "Why Pink Floyd?", the back of the shirt says 9:27:11 with www.whypinkfloyd.com in small letters under the date. A nice surprise!!

Now to start listening to all the discs.

23. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

Having the OBTW set, I've been on the fence about getting the Discovery box set. Now that people have started sampling these remasters, would you say that all of these remasters are good enough to get the box? Or would you say that you'd only upgrade certain albums and, if so, which ones?

24. Rfi

Rfi New Member

I like all that I've heard so far the best as far as the CD versions go (I have not heard the Sax remasters however).

I have yet to critically compare any to the needledrops I had professionally done of the vinyl pressings I own yet. The CBS 40AP Japanese LP for The Wall is gonna be a tough one to beat, but anything's possible.

25. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

The only one I've listened to so far is Animals. And so far, I like everything I hear. No shrill top end, very clear vocals (you can even hear breathing clearly), and no loudness fatigue. But I'm listening to it "in a vacuum" so to speak, since my Shine On version is at home. I'll do a side-by-side tonight (along with Meddle and Division Bell) and let you all know what I think then.

If the rest of the discs are up to this quality, then I can safely say they're worth a first time purchase (especially at $10 a pop). I'm not ready to say if they're worth an upgrade yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.