Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Well, there are some here who claim that the Super-Bit Mapped version of Wish You Were Here (which is a tweaked Sax remaster) is superior to the Shine On version. I haven't heard it. Actually, I think that the 1997 Columbia version (also a tweaked Sax remaster) is the best I've heard, and is my go-to version for now. The US Capitol versions from 2000-2010 should be bit-for-bit identical to the 1997 Columbia. I plan to get the SACD in November, which should have the same CD layer as the new 2011 disc (no sense in buying it twice).

I also feel that the 20th Anniversary Dark Side of the Moon (also a tweaked Sax remaster) is ever-so-slightly more pleasing to my ear that the Shine On version. The 20th Anniversary remaster was pressed for over a decade on the picture-disc version as well, so you don't need to hunt down that rare 20th packaging to get it. (Again, this applies to US releases only)

The Shine On and individual Sax versions of Meddle are identical (note that I'm referring to the real individual Sax remaster, not the mislabeled "remaster" from Europe).

A Saucerful of Secrets, Animals, The Wall, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason all sound better in their Shine On versions than in their later individually available versions, to my ears. Note that I'm not including the latest 2011 versions in that statement. I also haven't heard the EU Sax remaster of The Wall (also in the ObtW box), but I understand that it sounds good.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The ones with the bad hiss running through entire the album. The dull lifeless hissers. Surly you've heard them, no?

Of course I'd been brought up with original LPs, so they were bound to disappoint. They have little of the original powerful kick of those albums on LP.

Originals copies sold in US. Gawd they were bad.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought that the Mastersound Super-Bit Mapped WYWH was out before the Shine On box by a few years? How could it be a tweaked Sax (Shine On) remaster???

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Sorry, "tweaked" was the wrong word. WYWH was actually the first Floyd album Sax remastered, specifically for the SBM release. I guess that makes Shine On the "tweaked" one.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I think those are called holy grails by some people. :angel:

6. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Great Answer. Thanks! Guess I'll check out the 2011 Animals remaster for now and I'll be getting the Immersion sets of the 3 announced so far so I'm not going to get the Discovery box set. And you're a Rush fan too! Awesome! 11/7 for WYWH Immersion and Rush Time Machine Blu Ray/CD!

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would guess, and strongly suggest that the Shine On disc was a fresh remaster, and not derived from the Mastersound SBM project at all.

Someone can correct me if they know for certain.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Especially if they paid big bucks in 1988 or 1989 dollars for the Japanese pressings of these early discs.

You'll note that there are not many mentions at all of those discs in this thread.

9. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

With all of the confusion that this is creating ... although probably a monumental task .... maybe a new thread, with a master list of all of the albums, and the preferred CD version (Shine On, OBTW, Discovery, etc) .... is warranted.

I'm not sure that it would clear things up, but at least a consensus of those in the know, would give others a "starting point", on whether to buy the new set or not.

Just a thought.

:agree: or :shake: or :yikes:

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No need to be snarky. There are several early versions, such as the Japanese CP35 of Dark Side of the Moon and the 35 DP of Wish You Were Here (both of which had pre-emphasis and needed decoding, otherwise they would sound bright and hissy) and various others.

11. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Actually, I think I was right the first time. According to Vernon Fitch's site, the SBM release was in 1994, two years after Shine On. So yeah, I'm back to calling it a tweaked Sax. :cool:

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not what Steve had in mind in his "be nice" thread yesterday.

How about asking for more information, like someone else did?

Oh, the irony.

13. KeithH

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

A sincere thanks to all the feedback so far, both positive and negative. Missed the UPS guy and now I need to wait until tomorrow for my new Yamaha receiver.

Has anyone here ever heard the CBS Mastersound Half Speed Master LP of Wish You Were Here? That's something I've had in my collection that I haven't listened to in many years.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I had already given my impressions of the new disc earlier in the thread. I do not see an improvement in Animals at all. It does not have an analog feel, IMO.

But don't take my word on it. I have only been listening to the album for 30 years.

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I apologize, you're absolutely right. I should not have got caught up in the stream of other similar responses I keep reading. My attempt to compare a post that contained useful info with one that didn't was poorly executed. My bad.

17. KeithH

You're fine. If people want more information from your one-line post, they can simply ask for it, politely.

18. KeithH

I have and very much like the first Japanese black-triangle mastering of Dark Side of the Moon, 35DP 4 mastering of Wish You Were Here, and 32DP mastering of Animals. Some others here do, too. I only got the Discovery box last night and have only listened to the Wish You Were Here disc, so I have done no comparisons. It seems few others here have done these comparisons either. That doesn't mean that people don't like the early discs.

19. aoxomoxoa

I did a quick comparison, but since others are convinced it,s better, I plan on doing a more in depth listen. Like I said, don't take my word on it. Spend your hard earned cash and see for yourself.

20. I picked up Adam Hart's Mother on my way home from work. I haven't owned this disk ever and I parted with the vinyl when I gave away all my records in the late 80's. The new artwork and lyrics are appreciated. It sounded great in my car stereo but what does that tell us about the quality? Nothing.:D

I really like this album. It does fit right in with Floyd's evolution from their 60's psychedelic sound to their laid back 70's vibe epitomized by Dark Side of the Moon. I love these reissue programs too as they get me back into the music again.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you mean Atom Heart Mother.

22. It's a joke....ha ha hahhhhhh!:winkgrin:

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, I see; didn't get it (but that was probably clear...)

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I listened to Animals and liked it but I'm not sure I have the best pressings of this title.

25. aoxomoxoa

OK all of this hubub about Animals has prompted me to do another comparison. I am ready to admit I may have been wrong, ever so slightly...

The new version does have more bottom end than the Sax remaster. Now, both are quite good but I can see how some would like the new version better. The new mastering is similar to the Beatles remasters. It has a nice fat tight bottom end. The Sax version is a littler brighter but not so much that it detracts from the recording.

The new one is growing on me. I would say it COULD possibly be better but I want to live with it for a while before I say for sure. I guess I shouldnt have jumped the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.