Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Hey, maybe Fountains of Wayne and Pink Floyd will collaborate on a new LP called Stacy's Mother.

:D

2. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

How does the Japanese Discovery boxset differ from the North American version?

Also, has anyone compared the new Final Cut master with the 2004 version?

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

One other thing I hadnt noticed on first listen is that the Sax disc is a bit louder than the Guthrie.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It has an obi which makes it sound better. :angel:

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I also hear the bass improvement you mentioned earlier. I hear the better bass across other 2011 remasters as well...

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Either of you have the 32DP ?

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Mini-LP packaging really preserves those 1's and 0's better, too.

Don't get me started on the wonders of SHM plastics...

:hide:

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Interesting, thanks.

But do you think it could be confusing to call the Shine On a "Sax", and Discovery Box a "Guthrie?" Because didn't Guthrie also did a single disc remaster of Animals long before the Discovery Box?

This is I think why newcomers to these discs can't get their head around which is which and who is who.

It should not have to be so confusing imo. Of course that is just my take on it.

9. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Nope. But he did do remasters of Dark Side of the Moon (2003), The Final Cut (2004), Piper at the Gates of Dawn (2007) and A Momentary Lapse of Reason (2007), so for those titles, when you say "Guthrie", you need to be more specific.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Then who did those remasters (single disc issues) , the ones that came along around after Shine on, but before the later ones you mentioned?

Guthrie is who I read an interview with claimed to have done the work. These are late 90s CDs. NOT Shine On discs.

11. aoxomoxoa

The one I was comparing to was the 2007 single disc issue, not the Shine On Box. It says inside : remastering supervised by Guthrie, but it was done by Doug Sax.

12. aoxomoxoa

I have the 28dp which, if I understand correctly is the same mastering.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Correct and I believe there are other discs with the same 1's and 0's.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There was an Animals disc that came out in between those two you mentioned. It was the first single disc issue to feature more complete artwork (black spine w/ Animals typeface on spine). I will compare tonight and make sure it is not a clone of the Shine On discs. But folks here already did that years ago, and said no, it is not.

Guthrie claimed in an interview that he did them. He explained why the sound might (or might not) be better than in the Shine On the set.

15. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

I listened the 2011 remaster of Final Cut today (not so closely). It's almost as loud as the 2004 remaster but not so compressed.

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

The discs pressed from 1994-2000 are all* Sax remasters (at least, the ones released in the US are). The titles not found in the Shine On box were all new remasters done in 1994 and 1995. The ones also found in the Shine On box were the same studio remasters from 1992 but slightly different production masters (except Meddle, which was identical). Guthrie "supervised" all of the Sax remasters but he was not the engineer.

* Okay, not all. Division Bell was not remastered in the States until this year. Also, the 1994 The Final Cut was the original Columbia 80's era master. This title was remastered by Sax in 1995, but this remaster was released only once in 1997. When the later catalog titles reverted to Capitol/EMI, it was replaced with the Guthrie remaster.

It's not an exact clone, but it was sourced from the same 1992 Sax remaster. The levels were played with some.

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Does anyone remember what thread was the post that listed all the masterings for the OBTW box? I'm having a tough time finding it and without knowing that, it's hard to follow these discussions. Thanks in advance!

18. aoxomoxoa

Spinning the 2011 Meddle now. This one sounds right to me. I have a nice German vinyl & MFSL + the Oh By The Way versions. I am not going to attempt to do any comparisons right now, but let's just say that this one is a winner.

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks for reconsidering and posting your thoughts. I don't think that any of the new remasters will be "better" than the Sax (did I get it right this time?) remasters. It will simply a be a matter of preference. And sometimes, as in your case, one may prefer The Sax remaster and then the 2011 remaster at other times. I guess it's the choice between liking a fat bottom or something that's bright. And no, that's not a misogynist reference. ;)

Oh if we only had the ability to customize our own remasters! I say we start a petition to make the master tracks at high resolution available to us all online!

20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

subscribed... :)

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

No I do not.

By the way, I listened to Saucerful of Secrets today and really enjoyed it but this is my first cd of this album. Any thoughts on how they did on this title?

22. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Well if it's like the Beatles stereo box it will have slightly higher quality sleeves, and rice paper inner sleeves for the discs themselves. I'll know for sure next week.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Animals on CD

Re: that 1997 Animals CD:
    Not only levels, but timings seem to be different as well?????????????????

Ok, just looked, and the Animals not mentioned, and the first remastered single disc issue (not Shine On) is dated 1997.

Total running time of this 1997 disc is (on my player) is: 41:48

Shine On 1992 disc total running time (on my player) is 41:40

Perhaps your 2007 disc is in fact a new remaster? Or the 1997 disc with a new date on it?

Until everyone is on the same page in these threads, they all tend to derail into confusion.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Wait til you hear the SACD...

25. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Animals-wise, everything from 1992 (Shine On box) up until a few weeks ago was a Doug Sax remaster (supervised by James Guthrie). In 1997 Columbia released WYWH, Animals, The Wall, Collection of Great Dance Songs, Final Cut... they were tweaked Doug Sax remasters. And yes, in this case that sometimes means the running time is a bit longer, as I've noticed in WYWH. Forum member foobar2000 has gone into great lengths about the different "versions" of the basic Doug Sax master in some fascinating threads.

In 2000 Capitol got the rights to those '97 remasters and released them (except for Final Cut). They are identical to the Columbia 1997 discs, even though some of them revert to saying "1992 Digital Remaster". These discs have been available for the past 11 years.

So quicksrt, you're right that they're not digitally identical to the Shine On box titles. But as far as I know they are still the work of Doug Sax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.