Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There it is. Doesn't look too bad, though.
    :agree:

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

OK, I am not a diehard Floyd fan, but I would like to grab the best sounding version of the cd's. Can someone help me?

These are the versions I have currently, can someone tell me which ones to dump in favor of the 2011 remasters:

Final Cut 1987 US Columbia CK 68517
    The Wall US Columbia CK 36184
    The Wall UK Harvest CD (mfg in west germany) CDP 7 46036 2
    Animals 1992 US remaster Capitol CDP 7243 8 29748 2 6
    Ummagumma US Capitol 1994 remaster 7243 8 31214 2 7
    Obscured By Clouds US Capitol CDP 7 46385 2
    Saucerful 1992 US Capitol remaster CDP 0777 7 46383 2 6
    Piper 1994 US Capitol remaster CDP 0777 7 46384 2 5

I also own the following:

Meddle Black Triangle
    DSOTH Black Triangle
    DSOTH UK Harvest (mfg in Japan) CDP 7 46001 2
    The Wall 50DP 361
    Animals 32DP 360
    WYWH 35DP 4 2 track
    Final Cut 35DP 53

I also own all the Mofi Floyd CD's

Which need to go to thin the heard in favor of the new remasters?

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Lyle, I can't figure out what you are saying here?

The Shine On box is 1992. It came first before the entire cat was issued remastered in 1997.

The Final Cut CBS 1983, and later 1997 (on Columbia) are not the same mastering.

The Final cut was issued again with bonus cut in middle of album. You don't mention this.

I am going to quit right here and now. As I don't want to come off anymore rude than I might already seem.

Let's just agree that we disagree here.

4. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Attached Files:

5. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

......and Terminal:

Attached Files:

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Awesome collection. Why bother trying to improve it? You've already got the motherlode. New discs are too loud and bassy. They can't top all the great discs you already have....IN MY OPINION. ;)

In fact, being the jerk that I am, I finally stopped beating around the bush and picked up Ummagumma on CD....the 1994 edition, that is. Now that these babies are OOP I'm not missing the boat and having to pay high prices down the road when it is determined that they are, in fact, the best digital versions available.

7. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

And as previously mentioned 2011 versions, Dogs then Terminal:

Attached Files:

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Oh, I just remembered I also have the WYWH Mastersound and the DSOTM SACD too...

9. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

I think Masza is right, there is some limiting going on there, especially on Terminal Frost. :shh:

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bob,

Steeler1979 (Darren) right here in Nashville was looking for a copy of this, just an FYI should you decide to sell.

Impressive list. I have most of those myself.

-Mike

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I agree, you have some wonderful discs, Harvest The Wall (black face) is my fave for that album.

But for Obscured By Clouds you might like the 1997 issue more than an original Capitol US. (or is that the remastered issue?)

12. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I'm OK with the limiting. Sure, it would be better without, but it's not brickwalled by any means. Still going to pick this up.

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

One thing I am not sure about, re final cut and Obscured, are these original US CD's beaten by the 92 or current remasters? The Obscured is mfg in Japan for US

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

My Obscured is the original... So, maybe go with the 97...or the 2011? Or too early to tell?

15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

not really trying to improve per se..but maybe thin it out a bit...but still keeping the best sounding...

16. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

The Obscured remaster was actually released in 1996 (remastered in 1995).

Not a huge deal, but since the whole Sax thing is pretty unwieldy and all I thought I'd clarify. :cheers:

I highly recommend everyone who's following any Floyd thread to check out Vernon's (forum member PFA) excellent discography page:

http://www.pinkfloydarchives.com/DiscTOC.htm

Many of your questions would be answered there. He's already put up stuff for some of the 2011 Discovery editions.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Your CD of the Final Cut is the first remaster, and not the first pressing.

First pressing is smooth and wonderful in it's own way. Remaster is clean and crisp, and wonderful in it's own way. I think you are fine with that 1997 issue of TFC.

The next mastering of Obscured might be a bit better, in my opinion is does sound cleaner like a better tape was located.

18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

...of meddle?

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Amen. I keep it on my Favorites toolbar. :thumbsup:

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Ah, re TFC, thanks... Turns out that I have the original TFC as well in a box of old CD's...

21. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Still slogging my way through the set, however, I'm quite impressed with the 2011 Atom Heart Mother. Anybody feel the same or am I off base?

22. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

*Sigh* Let's take it from the top. Shine On was released in 1992. Doug Sax remastered 7 albums that year.

Individual releases of Sax remasters of all the Capitol-held albums trickled out throughout 1993-1996. The albums that were not a part of Shine On were new Sax remasters created in 1994 and 1995. The albums that were part of the Shine On set had different production masterings on the individual release CDs compared to the Shine On discs (except Meddle), but they were made from the same studio remasters created in 1992. No one went back to the original master tapes on any of these albums again until Guthrie in 2003.

In 1997, Columbia made a final promotional push of their Floyd catalog before they were to lose the rights and released the first individual releases of the Sax remasters of WYWH (not counting the SBM Gold CD), Animals, The Wall, and the first ever Sax remaster of The Final Cut (although the remaster had actually been completed in 1995). Like the Capitol releases, the titles previously released in the Shine On box had slightly different production masterings on the individual releases, but were still based on the 1992 Sax studio remasters. The Shine On version of AMLoR had been previously available as a separate disc, but received a much louder production mastering (still based on the Sax remaster) in 1997 for its Anniversary release.

Yes, I did mention The Final Cut with the extra track, except I called it what it is, the Guthrie remaster. Because only the Guthrie remaster contains When the Tigers Broke Free.

I'm not sure what it is you'd care to disagree about, but those are the facts. Perhaps you are confused by the difference between a studio mastering (when someone creates a new digital source from the analog master tapes) and a production mastering (when someone takes that digital source and masters a CD from it).

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh, why non start in the middle?:sigh:

24. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing some comments on The Division Bell remaster

25. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Just a note on WYWH: Blows the pants off any version I've ever heard. Clarity is outstanding on these tracks. A bit compressed overall, but nothing too severe, at least to my tastes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.