Are you on discogs? what's the collection worth?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by phish, Sep 28, 2011.

1. phish

phish Jack Your Body Thread Starter

if you are on discogs and catalog your stuff there, you can go to "my collection" and if you click the fourth "view" (it looks like a bar graph), it will show you the "value" of your collection based on prior sales of your records.

i've got about 70% of my stuff in my discogs collection and the numbers look as so....

Collection Value Range:

Minimum: $ 22,789.09 Median: $ 38,794.98 Maximum: $ 67,354.64

Values based on last 10 sales using Marketplace Sales History.

what's yours?

dennis1077 and HAmmer like this.
  2. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Does it take the condition of the record into consideration?

3. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

That makes me want to use Discogs now. I had no idea about that cool feature!

4. phish

it doesn't. it's really just a fun, loose number. for example, i have records catalogued that have zero sales and thus factor $0 into the value of the collection for said records. one would be the phish "lawnboy" vinyl which easily sells for a couple hundred dollars, but since it's never been sold on discogs, has no established value.

Skychan likes this.
  5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I've never used discogs, but I may have to start. I could see a nice use for this feature should you need to file an insurance claim. . .

uzn007 and abor1g like this.
  6. phish

crossed my mind years ago. while i don't have every record i own on there, by a longshot. if i ever lost all my vinyls in a fire, i'd at least have a starting point. i'm pretty sure if everything got wiped in a fire, i'd have a hard time remembering much of what i have, in light of the circumstances.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

You did that on purpose didn't you :realmad: :) I should probably do a better job of keeping track of my "vinyls" too :cheers:

ubiknik and phish like this.
  8. phish

hahaha. cheers.

9. Rat44

Rat44 Forum Resident

Set up an account there.
    Looking around the site and still don't see a way to enter my music.
    Am I missing something obvious here?

10. sreg0r

sreg0r Well-Known Member

Yes you are. Find your release using the search and click the "add to collection" on the right. You can specify condition, but that is not factored into said price calculations

11. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

All my vinyl is still in their wooden crates from our recent cross country move. It is interesting this thread's timing though, I was considering enlisting the help of my wife to catalog my collection, as it gets unpacked and creating that database on Discogs. I just need to make sure she doesn't click on that collection value graph. :shh:

abor1g likes this.
  12. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Over the past 2 years, I purchased a bunch of LPs from a seller via Discogs. It's a neat system. I don't have the patience to enter my collection (2000+ lps, 1,600+ cds, 600+ tapes).

13. Rat44

Rat44 Forum Resident

Thank you.
    I am used to looking for an 'add' function.

14. nightmoves

nightmoves Forum Resident

I use discogs, it is a great way to catologue records. I don't really trust the value figures, they don't jive with reality. Perhaps in time with more sales through the site the numbers will be more accurate.

15. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Amazing-never heard of that function before. Is that a new feature?

16. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

After playing with this feature, I may just drop RYM like a hot potato! I've put in about 145 items out of the roughly 3,000 in my collection and the median worth is about $1,120 so far.

17. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I'm assuming if you have a rare piece that never sold on there it's value stays zero or isn't added? No experience with using discogs for database purposes, although I've bought a couple of rare titles through the years from them.

18. nightmoves

nightmoves Forum Resident

this is exactly what happens, it also over values records if only 1 was sold and it was well overpriced

19. sreg0r

sreg0r Well-Known Member

If you have an item that has never sold through discogs it is unvalued so it does not effect your total. Conversely if you have a minty mint copy and the only one that sold was Poor your collection is going to be undervalued, it all balances out in the end though.

I've been using discogs for years (more actively in the past 6 months) and it is easily the best music databasing system. All the data is peer-reviewed so it has a high level of accuracy and is definitely the most complete in terms of listing every release of a title.

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

phish...my collection is $100 off of yours. I also have 45 pages with no value due to no sales records. Not even close to having everything listed. 6006 pieces so far but I haven't added anything in ages.

21. mfp

mfp Senior Member

If I had a whole month with nothing else to do, I'd add all my LPs, including some that are not even registered on discogs yet.
    But I don't have a whole month with nothing else to do. :)

22. Mr. Fantasy

Mr. Fantasy New Member

I'm doing this but only have 3 view choices. Am I confused?
    Edit: Figured it out. I'm a dork!!

23. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Half of what I added seems to be worthless too, in Discogs-land anyway. :) I think it needs to be longer than a 10 day period since I'm pretty sure an original Butcher cover isn't sold there every week. :laugh:

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You must access your collection by hovering over My Discogs then choose collection. You'll only have 3 view choices if you do it another way.

25. capn

capn Forum Resident

It's an excellent site but my one bugbear is that it doesn't catalogue original pressings, hence if you have a release that's been repressed ad infintum under the same catalogue number, then the site doesn't differentiate between them.

Makes searching for original pressing information impossible.