Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Oh good - glad it's not just me! I'm only on my first run through of the remasters (listening to Animals right now) and Atom is a standout. Secrets and More really pop for me as well. Dark Side and everything post thus far is not too dramatic a difference for me. Thus far.

Back to the music...

2. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

That does it! I'm going to pick the whole lot up at Best Buy while they are super cheap. I'll take my time and compare them against the Sax '94 editions. It's Pink Floyd for goodness sake!!

3. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

If you're going to buy the individual CDs retail, Target is the better deal. Otherwise, buy the whole box on Amazon, for less than list price.

4. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

No need for DSOTM since the new ultimate version is the Blu-ray in the Immersion set. So the "Big Five" for me are Meddle, OBC, WYWH, Animals and The Wall, which from what I gather all sound equal or better than versions previously released. Any of those 2011 remasters I mentioned sound significantly better than what's on the Shine On or OBTW set?

I suppose the Immersion set of WYWH and The Wall would trump the need to pick up these releases individually even if they are significantly better than previous version.

5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Of the ones you mentioned, possibly OBC. But everyone has different opinions :)

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Target deal is really nice. I picked up WYWH and Division Bell today and got that $5 gift certificate so basically $7.50 each for new Floyd.

:cheers:

7. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Understood. I just went back and read some of LyleJP's commentary on Animals and Meddle. As of now it looks like I'll be good with my current CDs and will just stick to my plan to pick up the upcoming Immersion releases. Don't really care for having the ultimate version of every album in the PF catalog, just the ones released between '71 and '79. ;)

8. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Any more comments on the new PATGOD? Upthread someone mentioned it was "a little better." Anyone care to share and/or elaborate?

9. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Can someone tell me the target deal without making me read through this whole thread? Thanks!

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I appreciate LyleJP's observations, but he is but one person. I've only bought ANIMALS so far and IMO it's a knockout.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Buy 2 cds and get $5 gift card
    Cds are $10 each for floyd titles

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I agree.

13. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Thanks Lee!:cheers:

14. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

The Target deal is fantastic, but the only problem is that my Target(s) have just a limited selection and 2 of the ones they have are ones I've purchased/pre-ordered as Immersion sets: DSOTM and WYWH.

So I found only two that I wanted: Animals and The Wall (as I'm not a fan enough of the latter to pick it up its Experience/Immersion edition. I went in there hoping that they would stock Saucerful of Secrets and More, but no such luck so I picked up those two and Obscured and AHM at Best Buy instead.

Aside from those mentioned (DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall), the only other one I noticed for sale at Target is The Division Bell, one of the ones you picked up but I was a bit gun shy so the I ended up picking up just those two and got the five dollar card, but did not spend it yet. I have the original version of The Division Bell (I think there has only been one mainstream release). I don't suppose you have that one to compare to the 2011 edition? I could essentially pick it up for $5 with the gift card, but I don't want to make the trip back to Target if there's no real improvement over the original 1994 issue.

15. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Good Deal at Target today, picked up Animals, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall for $26.93. Went to 2 stores and they were almost sold out of most titles except Dark Side. They must have ordered more of them. Went to Best Buy to get Meddle, sold out. The Best Buy store I was in had about 20-30 Discovery Boxes. That surprised me they had that many.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Plus!
    The gift card you get cannot be used on that particular transaction, BUT. You can buy your two CDs for $10 each, and then purchase The Wall using your gift card and get THAT for $10 as well, down from the sale price of $15.

17. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

So I got Animals and The Wall and got the $5 card. Now what I wanna do is go back and get Division Bell and Momentary Lapse and get another $5 gift card. Is it possible to use both cards together to get $10 off Dark Side of The Moon?

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Absolutely. They might look at you funny because you'd only be left paying the tax, but there's no rule against it as far as I know.

Funny. Our store got Wish You Were Here instead of Momentary Lapse.

19. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Yeah mine doesn't have momentary either. There's about 3 Targets in my city though, I'm hoping that maybe one does have it. I'm trying to hold out for the Wish You Were Here SACD :)

20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

woooooah stop the presses , so some that were maked Doug sax had NR'd cd's in them ? was this just the box sets or also single cd's ??

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Single CDs too. The European EMI 1994 Remaster of Saucerful uses the old 80's NR'd mastering and sounds awful. The US made 1994 remaster sounds great :righton:

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Re: Atom Heart Mother

MoFi - wonderful, very warm and smooth, but very "different".
    Sax Remaster - Excellent, very different from the MoFi, smooth with punch.
    Japan for Japan CP32 - I guess this is my fav - has more of everything, very laid back, you have to crank the volume up, and then it just seems more musical.

Were you comparing to one of the above or another version?

23. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I have applied my considerable powers of concentration to this on many occasions. Just this evening, inspired by your post, I went back to Animals with the determination of offering my formidable opinion on the matter. :laugh:

I have concluded that there is nothing metallic in the sound. Being quite familiar with traditional wood blocks, having had one in my possession and actually playing it from time to time in my youth, as well as a variety of cowbells, I would submit to you that the sound is that of a Temple Block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KG9qSAFPSo&feature=related

For your careful review and consideration, if you were to jet ahead to about :53 in this demonstration video I believe you would like concur that it is a temple block, albeit not the one being handled here.

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

And you know what, I bought the non-Sax "Sax" single CDs of Meddle and Saucerful brand new last year or early this year. I already had the albums in other editions, CDPs, Shine On.. but Floyd stuff was going cheap in stores, presumably in the run up to this reissue campaign, so I thought I'd pick some up. So if it was an error to use those old masters, how come HMV were still selling them in 2010-11?

Any European Floyd fans who only have the "Sax" Saucerful need to get shot of it and get a better one. Unless you're an expert you might not know how bad it sounds. I'm not a Floyd expert, but I knew something was up with it because I had other Saucerful CDs and an early 70s vinyl.

But my EU Shine On Saucerful is definitely not NRd, although I have no idea if it's a Sax or not.

25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Were you referring to the "Sax" remaster for Europe that actually didn't have the US Sax mastering? My US Sax remaster sounds very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.