Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

According to Vernoin Fitch, OBTW contained a unique mastering of AMLOR

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

:( I'm a bit worried reading people more knowledgeable than me about Floyd saying Meddle and Animals are unlikely as Immersions, I've been kind of naively presuming they would be, and looking forward to some news on them relatively soon. Aren't those albums pretty likely? Maybe I'm thinking they're more internationally regarded than they are, although not on a par with DSOTM obviously, in terms of acclaim.

3. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm sitting here listening to the alternate/early mix of DSOTM from '72 - it is AWESOME! Very very cool and gives another perspective on the album listening experience.

I can see myself listening to this over and over. I prefer the final mix but the early version is totally worth it if you can find it cheap(er). The sound quality on the early mix is amazing, the drums are very punchy and everything sounds crystal clear. It doesn't sound slammed either which is very nice.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just got back from Best Buy...Animals & The Division Bell.

Animals definitely louder than my 32DP 360, but not in a bad way...everything is crystal clear, really liking it so far. :D

6. Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon New Member

Nothing wrong with being optimistic. I would rather not get my hopes up. If it happens, great. If not, no biggie. It could be the decision makers are taking a "wait and see" approach. I've heard tell there could be a possibility of PATGOD and SOS Immersion sets, but I'm not holding my breath. If the first big 3 Immersion sets sell, then perhaps future sets will be considered. I suppose it would also depend on available additional material (e.g. unreleased material, early mixes, live performances, surround mixes, etc.) I'll admit that it would be cool to see a pig, a dog and a sheep on the Animals marbles. :)

7. Myke

Why I got the single Animals tonight...we might get a box, we might not. For $9.99, I wasn't going to wait.

8. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Thanks for this. Based on your review, I called around to a few Targets, found a local one that still has TDB in stock and used the $5 gift card I got from purchasing The Wall and Animals on it. Looking forward to opening it, but I have a backlog of about 5 PF individual remasters still in cellophane. This is too much to take in all at once! And I mean that in the best possible way.

9. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

Animals is my favourite Floyd album, and I have an original UK vinyl, the Sax remaster, and the OBtW box version (which is the original EMI cd mastering). The latter is much closer to the vinyl (which I love) than the Sax remaster. The Sax sounds bright and boosted to me. To which is the new Guthrie version closer? The OBtW box mastering, or the Sax?

10. nbakid2000

This just in, my friend just told me The Wall is overcompressed, boomy, and generally sounds bad when it comes to the low end. He said the guitars are OK but when the bass kicks in and such, it sounds like absolute $h*t.

Dunno. Haven't heard it yet.

11. nbakid2000

BTW, this is a stupid question but is the Shine On box set the Doug Sax remasters?

What different masterings are there between the Shine On and OBTW?

12. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Is ANYBODY going to comment on the new Wish You Were Here?

13. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

I would agree that they've over done it in the low end/bass department.

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I know I'm just about the only person in the world that feels this way, but these remarks resemble my person experience with the three discs I purchased (Animals, Wall, Atom Heart Mother). Too much boom for my buck. Overpowering. They wore me down after a few minutes. I wish I could return them to the store. I'll stick with my old discs. New technology and mastering styles just don't float my boat, I guess.

15. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

I got my Discovery box today. In light of all the packaging problems with the DSOTM Immersion box, I was pleasantly surprised by the way the Discovery box is packaged. From looking at the photos I thought that it wouldn't be possible to store the box vertically without the CDs on the top pressing down on the ones on the bottom. But actually there are two separate boxes for the CDs on the top and the ones on the bottom. So you can store it vertically and it will fit on my shelf just fine.

As for the sound, I just listened to Piper and it sounds great. However, I have no basis for comparison since all I had before was the iTunes mp3 version.

16. Myke

Sell them in the classifieds...:agree:

17. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Are all digital versions of 'More' as saturated with distortion as this 2011 remaster? Is it just a crappy sounding album?

18. Dark_Globe

Dark_Globe New Member

Listening to Dark Side right now. I don't have a great setup honestly, but this remaster sounds good on my end.

19. shirtandtie

DSOTM was OK but I still felt like the highs were a teeny weeny bit to snappy. Compression may be at fault. I'm sticking with my original Japan for U.S. It's warmer.

I just wish somebody would say something about Wish You Were Here. From the looks of it, I think I'm going to stick with my Japan for U.S. on that one also but I'd like some opinions.

20. Myke

There's likely a lot like me...waiting on the Immersion box. Why buy a single if we've pre-ordered the box ? Waiting for November...

21. shirtandtie

Yeah I thought of that Myke, but I thought there'd be at least one or two that would've nabbed it.

22. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

According to Vernoin Fitch, OBTW contained a unique mastering of AMLOR.

23. Myke

I held one, fought off the urge, and put it down just tonight. :laugh:

I have :

Japan For US 2 Track CD
    Shine On CD
    1st UK Vinyl
    1st US Vinyl
    Half Speed Mastered Vinyl
    Russian Vinyl

24. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Amazon UK price of Discovery gone up to £149.99

Which means I might be tempted to just grab a copy in my local HMV. A bit more expensive but no waiting for postman and no risk of busted sets

25. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.