Bob Dylan - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky Thread Starter

Have you ever been floored by something that you have heard a million times?

I speak specifically of the Live 66 version from Manchester. Incredible!

2. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

The version from Liverpool 5/14/66 (released as the b-side to the single "I Want You") is even better! But yes, the Live 1966 versions of that song are astounding.

3. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

When you're lost in Juarez and its Easter time too...

AND this is Dylan very first offically released live Field Recording under his name!

(And the only Dylan live cut from the 60s released IN the 60s as Bob Dylan.)

I love that live take, but nothing beats the original studio recording from July/August 1965 for the best presentation of the sublime effects of this most righteous of classic-era primo-Zimmy audio-adventures.

cheers,

4. hal jones

hal jones Forum Resident

Tales of a Mexican Painter. Great song. Bootleg Series 4 version is great.

5. Robertazimmerman

Robertazimmerman Member

+1 :righton:

6. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

+1

I'm not a great fan of the Live '66 version, it's too bluesy and cranked-up; it misses the dreamy and lethargic beauty of the original with those subtle piano and guitar fills and the rearrangement seems a bit inappropriate for the lyrics.

I can understand how those who heard the live version first might find the original tame by comparison; but, just out of interest, are there any of you who prefer the '66 version even after hearing the Highway 61 one first?

7. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I like all four versions (the two live and the two studio). I must say the ultimate version for me personally is the Highway 61. Sure, the live versions have a lot of power to them and I do really enjoy that, but it comes across as more cynical in that nature when the song can be more dreamy and lethargic (as mentioned above) in the studio version. I also love the sound of the piano used on Highway 61 Revisited.

9. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

The live version just rips with cynicism and all the lucidity of a drunken rage. A great track for a lousy day. Same goes for the Like a Rolling Stone cut a few tracks later.

10. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Me, for one. The live version can't be beat for raw energy, a pure rock n' roll moment.

11. Tangledupinblue

This would have made an interesting poll...

12. jdw

jdw Senior Member

My favourite is from Melbourne, Australia 20 April 1966. Dylan introduces the song and one girl in the audience suddenly starts screaming like she's at a Monkees concert. Dylan asks her, "You know Tom Thumb?" and then the band immediately hits the intro like a cannon going off. It's fantastic, and the rest of the performance is just as good...

13. Tangledupinblue

Where is that from?

14. aoxomoxoa

...leg

15. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Robbie's solo on the Bootleg Series version is my favorite moment of the entire album. Dylan and the Band never kicked more ***.

16. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

:laugh:...."...he's about 125 years old and he's still going....". He told the same(ish) story a week earlier in Sydney as an introduction to the song (without the audience reaction)....I wonder when he stopped telling the "Mexican painter" story before the song, pity that he did.

I haven't heard a version of this that I don't like, great song.

17. DagB

DagB Forum Resident

18. aoxomoxoa

Very nice clip!

Has Eat the Document ever been officially released?

19. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

No

20. aoxomoxoa

I didn't think so. Shame as the footage is amazing.

21. Tangledupinblue

I didn't know footage existed for the '66 concert.

Either that, or those were taken at another venue during the same tour, as the performances sound pretty much identical to the Bootleg ones.

22. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Haven't you seen this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Directi...ef=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1317687570&sr=1-2 lots of footage from the '66 tour in there, including from the Manchester gig (the "Judas!" moment).
    The tour was extensively filmed and recorded.

23. Tangledupinblue

I think I recorded that on video TBF shortly after it was released, but I didn't actually finish watching it because I wasn't a great Dylan fan back then.

I really need to dig it out and see it again, properly - I did think some of that footage looked strangely familiar!

How much of the Manchester gig was filmed, was it just snippets or complete songs? If the latter they could have just transferred the audio onto the Bootleg CD, might have improved the sound quality!

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I like the sound quality of Live 1966 personally. However I think they added reverb or something like that to make it sound bigger.

25. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Soundboards were recorded, the Manchester gig (Bootleg series 4) is from a soundboard. There's a lot of footage as most, if not all of the gigs were filmed (can't remember). AFAIR the Glasgow show was the only one with a cameraman on the stage and Dylan didn't like that so it wasn't done again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.