Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatheroftheman

Fatheroftheman New Member

I just grabbed The Wall, the sound quality is warmer and thicker then the most available CD (Capitol's 2000 Remaster) but the bass is quieter and not as full. Overall, I like it a lot, but I'm a bassaholic, and I wish that the bass was as loud as the bass drum :p

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I laughed as I bought my 2 $9.99 singles.

3. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Finished listening to the first three in the box.
    I've never listened to these albums before (other then DSOTM and The Wall).
    I liked them. They sounded nice and the music was very good.
    Got the box for $145 at Costco Canada.
    Also got the DSOTM Immersion box for $90 bucks from Best Buy Canada but haven't opened it up yet.

-- Sanjay

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Grabbed Momentary lapse Of Reason last night , pretty sure this is the one few like that bought it .
    I have to agree , something does not sound "right" with it , Hi-end is very digital & harsh at times , mellow parts sound good , but when things kick in , for me it's really muddy .
    It almost sounds like the source/Master was allready like that & it brought it out worse ? i'm not sure what i'm hearing , but it's not so good , i was hoping this one would be a lot better .

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:cheers:

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

For how long will the Pink Floyd 2011 remasters be available at Best Buy for $9.99?

7. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

I have been wondering the same thing

8. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Got Piper & Final Cut at Fred Meyers for $10/pop...

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I think the deal ends on Monday 10/3 - but I am not absolutely certain. I am basing this on the fact that the new releases are on sale for one week.

10. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Lives Life in 20Bit K2 Processing

+1 -- Lyle you were dead on in your review of "Animals". Picked it up based on your posts and was pleasantly surprised by the bottom end, which I found greatly improved.

Cheers man, and thanks again.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

thanks

12. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

So far I've heard the new versions of "Dark Side of the Moon," "The Wall," "Animals" and "Wish You Were Here." Not one of them is impressing me enough to care any further. They're good! They have NOT been destroyed, but overall I'm sticking with my original Japanese masterings which are warmer.

Now to somehow hear the bonus material. I'm not re-buying these for it.

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

Thank you all so much for your kind words on my mini reviews. I admittedly do not have the audiophile ears that many on this forum seem to have (for example, I really love the sound of the Elton John SACDs, which seem to be universally reviled here). But I am glad I was able to help many of you out with your purchase decisions.

I am really looking forward to some reviews from others on A Saucerful of Secrets, The Final Cut, The Wall, and Atom Heart Mother. These are the titles I'm on the fence about. Based on the recent positive reviews of Wish You Were Here, I am very excited about the forthcoming SACD hybrid.

Is there any chance that the mono Piper will get a remaster? Not that there's anything wrong with the 2007 disc, of course. But once I heard that album in mono, I knew I would never have any need for a new stereo version.

14. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Yes.

15. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

Well curiosity finally got the best of me. Picked up the box and I have to say I am extremely impressed with the sound. I have the Shine On box and the remasters from 2003 (I believe). I have always wanted to hear a good version of the Nile Song and I finally have it. I really am enjoying the low end on these remasters. I am a bass player and have always enjoyed when the bass is able to be heard. I have to agree with Lyle that these Floyd remasters may be the equivalent of the Beatles remasters. Very well done!

16. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Yes, yes, the Nile Song now sounds very nice. Better placement, vocals in '95 versions sounds somehow out of center.

17. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

Everything that I have listened to so far just sounds more powerful. I can't believe the old remaster is that old! Damn I am getting old.

18. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Sadly: none of us are getting any younger :shake:

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yeah, but it sure beats the alternative! :righton:

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Since it is so recent, and nothing wrong with it, then I doubt they will remaster it. Perhaps a new package with additional stuff like cards and marbles, etc.

21. fatjedi

fatjedi Forum Resident

How did I miss this:shake:

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      14 KB
      Views:
  22. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

lurking for some new reviews... I'm thinking about getting two or three albums (Obscured by Clouds for sure), not interested in the whole box

23. I picked up a few to fit some gaps in my collection: OBC, Meddle, AHM and The Wall. All sound fine to me, but I can't say they are an improvement over the Sax remasters.

24. hifichip76

hifichip76 Forum Resident

One (DSOTM), with the second one coming out soon (WYWH). I'm not aware of any others.

I also like the idea of putting multichannel mixes onto Blu-ray high-res or even a Dolby/DTS dvd, like the recent Genesis box sets.

25. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Same here. The Genesis multi-channel DVD mixes on the Gabriel-era box sound quite good, even though not high-rez.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.