Why weren't the Raspberries bigger?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no opera star, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no opera star

no opera star New Member Thread Starter

For me, I Wanna Be With You is the closest thing to early Beatles magic. Yet it wasn't that popular. Heard it today and wondered about that.

monkees paw, Pizza and Fullbug like this.
  2. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Good question!!

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Their name did them no favors. Hard to take any band serious named after small clustery fruit.

With a Better Name they may have found a bit more success or higher critical opinion

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  4. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

You could ask the same question of several other power-pop bands or bands that have retroactively been called "power-pop" from the late 60s and 70s, such as Big Star, Badfinger, the Nazz, etc. I honestly don't know the answer -- the Raspberries and Badfinger both had hits, but neither really were as big as they probably *should* have been, given their eventual influence.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wrong kind of fertilizer.

LarsO, tappioha, Mike Dow and 11 others like this.
  6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

That sort of music was somewhat out of fashion in 1973, and let's face it, the Raspberries weren't exactly brimming over with personality or original ideas. I remember them being mostly regarded in their time as sort of silly.

7. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

Steve and I are on the same wavelength. Was about to post something similar.

Fender Relic and johnaltman like this.
  8. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Compared to other stuff from 1973 like Zeppelins "Houses of the Holy" they were rather outdated ......

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great hard rock pop songs, but not much more to me. It's not like they were Floyd or anything. Good band, though.

10. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Love their stuff...but the white leisure suits didn't help.

Attached Files:

11. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

They were basically a made-for-AM-Radio singles band with a flair for Beatlesque melodies, but that ship had pretty much sailed by 1973, as others have pointed out. They were perfect ear-candy for the car radio but that was about the extent of it. After "Starting Over" didn't do well - with the exception of "Overnight Sensation" (I think it peaked around #18, but I could be wrong), the band packed it in. Which was too bad because that was their best album, sound quality notwithstanding.

Fender Relic likes this.
  12. Jon Busey-Hunt

Damn shame, IMO. That ship SHOULDN'T have sailed by 1973.

monkees paw, bhazen and Rhett like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But it certainly beefed-up their compression, didn't it? ;)

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Nickel Creek - Jealous Of The Moon

14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I was only a little kid at the time, but they struck me as pretty big for a couple of years.

15. Jon Busey-Hunt

You've probably heard the singles and not much else, eh? They were far more than just "great pop songs" -- they were amazing production-wise, melody-wise and instrumentally, and damned if Eric Carmen didn't have one of the best radio voices of the entire decade. They wrote their share of timeless classics -- and no, they weren't the Floyd and nor were they trying to be. The Beatles weren't the Floyd either, you know?

The art of the 3-minute pop song was something that sadly temporarily died in the 70s, at least amongst the rock cognoscenti. By the time punk broke, a lot of these bands had either broken up or died -- you gotta figure an extant Raspberries, Big Star or Badfinger would have benefitted from the pop-focus of New Wave and the early 80s.

And of course they did, posthumously -- so many bands cite these groups as an influence, now, that they're not unlike the Velvet Underground in terms of the obvious power of their work not being recognized until AFTER they weren't around anymore.

16. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Couldn't agree more, man. I was all into the music of the Raspberries, Big Star, Badfinger, etc. at that time.

bhazen likes this.
  17. When I first heard "Go All The Way" I assumed it was Wings. A lot of other people probably did, too.

white wolf likes this.
  18. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

their drummer has to be one of the most underrated in rock history. Saw their reunion show in Cleveland in 2004 then at BB King in New York and was blown away by his playing and skill.

monkees paw and entropyfan like this.
  19. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Probably not enough water or fertilizer. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Love the Rasberries.

edit: I posted this before reading the thread. Nice to see that Steve and I share the same sick sense of humor, but I already knew that.

double edit: You too jonmayo15. Perhaps a bit of flubber would help.

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Agreed. They should have chosen a serious, rockin' name like The Beatles if they wanted to be popular. :winkgrin:

21. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

You're right, the suits didn't help at all. The suit ship had sailed years before 1973 (1965?)

The appreciation for power pop was more in retrospect and while The Raspberries had some really fine music therir timing just wasn't right and the lack of promotion from Capitol was a deal killer too.

The "Starting Over" album should have done much better with maybe "Play On" issued for the initial single then followed up with "Overnight Sensation." "Crusin' Music" bombed and wasn't a very good choice for a single. But by then Capitol really didn't care.

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Didn't help the first album was a bit soft! Always remember hearing fans of Go All The Way at the time couldn't believe how lame the rest was. Side 3 was given to me for my 7th birthday. Still one of my faves along with Starting Over. The first two are a bit uneven but still contian some buried treasure. Most people could live with a best of.

23. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Kind of what happened to The Babys.

24. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I agree, the timing wasn't right. I remember buying the Starting Over LP and my friends were like, "really?"

I remember trying to sell them, "The Raspberries could rock, listen to "I Don't Know What I Want" they're channeling The Who!" but my friends didn't want to hear it, they were into ELP and Jethro Tull and the like, oh well...

bhazen likes this.
  25. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

The would have been big if they had hit with those songs in 1965. Badfinger are taken more seriously because they were a better, more talented band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.