Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I noticed that the one 2011 remaster that I have purchased so far, A Saucerful of Secrets, has CD Text.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As do Animals & The Division Bell. Da do dah do. :laugh: Pardon my good mood, I just scored a Cash vinyl in the classifieds with a bonus track available nowhere else !?!?!?:pineapple:

We return you now to Pink Floyd

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I'd picked up the separate "Discovery" versions of "The Piper At the Gates Of Dawn" and "A Saucerful Of Secrets"...excellent transfers..much better than my '80's CDs! Powerful sound,better bottom on the tracks,and,with "Saucerful",I've noticed that the fades on the tracks are longer,too,than on the Original '80's CDs as well!:righton:

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Gosh, I'd forgotten about CD Text, I had a player in the mid 90s that read that, no idea if my current ones do!

5. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

If I remember right, all the Discovery editions (SOS, AHM, Meddle, DSOTM, OBC, WYWH, The Wall, TFC, AMLOR and TDB), that I bought have CD Text. I noticed it when I ripped them to my hard drive.

6. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have recently acquired the OBTW box and already had a few individual Sax remasters, such as Animals and DSOTM. I figured I’d supplement a couple of the old non-Sax masters in the box with the 2011s and will be all set.

This week I got 2011 ASOS, Meddle, WYWH and More, because the Sax More, although decent, seemed to me a bit weak at the bottom end.

There is no contest between the 2011 and OBTW ASOS mastering. It is like a different album. But that is no surprise.

Comparing 2011 More to Sax, however, was a bit of a surprise. I could hear more bottom throughout, no question about that. Tastefully more, though, just enough to enjoy the bass playing and to give more balance to Nile and Ibiza.
    What also jumped at me was more pleasing, smooth sound to Gilmour’s guitar, especially on the Dramatic Theme and the above mentioned two songs.

The differences are subtle and require careful listening, but are easily audible to my wife also. Based on this comparison, I felt justified in getting most of the remaining 2011 disks yesterday. I left out DSOTM, PATGOD and the post-Wall ones, because the box has recent good masterings.

I would still be, however, interested in comparing the 2007 and 2011 PATGOD. On the 2007, which I find very good overall, I hear a bit of excess edge to Syd’s sibilants, especially on Scarecrow and Bike. I vaguely remember the same thing on the original vinyl, so there may not be anything more that can be done with it, but it still would be interesting to hear a comparison. According to Vern’s site, the peaks on the 2011 are in the 80s while the 2007 is 100s, so there has been audible stuff done to the master for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Equipment: Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RC/RB 1070, PSB Synchrony Two Towers, treated room, 54 year old ears in decent shape.

7. Only picked up obi and it sounds nice. No earth shattering differences to my ears but it certainly benefitted even of subtly from a remaster. I don't know that I love The Wall enough to spring for the deluxe. Personally I would have liked to hear demos for TFC and AMLOR but without any substantial bonuses I'll be hard pressed to justify picking up most of these. What happened to the day of just putting out a reasonably priced remaster with bonus tracks like the single disc of Nirvana's Nevermind?

8. Obc sounds good. Nothing revolutionary mind you. I doubt I'll be picking up the most popular titles because even with the extras, the cost is excessive. I just find the price tag on all these boxed sets to be excessive and it's hard for me to justify this given the economy. As much as I'd love to have the deluxe for each there's something obscene with a set like this where you're getting some material you've had before while seeing out of work people standing on street corners begging for food or work.

The collector and music fan in me wants these but I just can't justify the cost.

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

.. today I was seeing those people homeless sleeping in doorways on Bond Street in London, as people walk by who've just been shopping in stores on the same street, where a handkerchief costs the equivalent of $1000. At least music, even duplicate music, enhances life and makes people better people, mostly! Unlike a handkerchief.. but I know what you mean..

10. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

The single disc albums are still $9.99 online at Best Buy (the 2 disc albums are 19.99). Not sure for how long, and if the store prices are the same.

11. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Maybe those out of work people were laid off by EMI due to lack of sales.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Man, the music business is rough!
    [​IMG]

13. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

I think I'm one of the very few Floyd fans on this forum who haven't bought/heard
    any of the 2011 remasters. I had a real itchy trigger finger to pull on the Discovery Box
    last week but decided that getting new tires for my truck would be a wiser decision.
    But tomorrow is payday and that's gonna change. I have 3-4 I'm leaning towards
    those being Atom Heart Mother, Meddle,The Division Bell and Animals,and The Wall.

I'm thinking of waiting to maybe find the Discovery Box on sale as a lot of the places
    the price still seems kind of steep. For Wish You Were Here I'm waiting on the Immersion.
    I have the Dark Side SACD already but I may eventually break down and buy that Immersion as well.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I would just wait until we get access to the hi-rez masters :)

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Excuse me if it's already been done, but can someone who has the 2007 Piper and the 2011 Piper confirm if they are in fact different masterings, and if possible offer an opinion about which is better? Comparison with Sax remaster would be welcome also.

I had just assumed that the 2011 Piper would have the same mastering as the 2007 but I suppose that it may well not be. If it's a different one I'd like to know before these reissues stop being $9.99! :laugh:

16. oregonalex

+1.

According to Vernon Fitch's site they are different:
    http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUSCDPF.htm#Piper07d

2007 Track Peak Levels:
    100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 99.6 / 100

2011 Track Peak Levels:
    87.0 / 82.2 / 82.2 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 87.0 / 86.8 / 87.0 / 87.0

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Am i the only one here who finds the 2011 Floyd remasters too loud and worse sounding than the 1994 Sax remasters ??

18. oregonalex

Not the only one, but probably a minority. Can you give an example of a track or two that would be particularly supportive of your conclusion?

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Probably not, but you're certainly outnumbered by those of us who think they're fairly definitive.

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Wow, did not know that 2007 versions mastering was hitting 100% that much.
    Guess Im gonna give my Discovery set some serious spinning this weekend, as didnt have much time earlier. :agree:

For the few I have had pleasure to listen since got the box, they have been great and some even revolutionary (Animals).

21. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

I still like my original Japan for U.S. version of Dark Side..., Wish..., and Animals much better. The new ones are really good, but not definitive to me.

Animals, Animals, I don't understand all the candor for ESPECIALLY the new Animals! I'm gonna have to put the two back to back again. I feel like I might be missing the boat on this one because of all the accolades.

22. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Yeah I'm definitely up for hi-rez versions and I'll take the entire catalog thankyou!

I do think that I need something to hold me over until then though ;)
    Who knows how long it could be before we see them. I think EMI needs
    to step this up. Pink Floyd is one of the biggest top selling acts apart
    from the Beatles and the band have always held a high regard to sound quality.
    If it's the last final release then why not just do it? If they don't sell then
    oh well they still have the standard cd's and boxes to make the money back.

BTW I'd take the Beatles in hi-rez right now too.

Hear,Hear EMI we're knocking on your door.

23. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

A while back people were lamenting the unavailability of the Sax "Piper" in the U.S.--ebay has a couple really cheap at the moment. (My public service for the day; this post will be utterly useless next week...sorry, archiver.)

24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I love the recent Queen and The Beatles remasters, but for example to my hearing 'Fat Old Sun' vocals don't sound as clear, like the whole sounds of that song have been tightly squeezed together, and it is 'not as open sounding' ?? I really had to struggle to hear the lyrics, maybe my hearing is not what it used to be and I am not picking up certain frequencies, the vocal was much more clearer on previous releases IMO, and there is a wierd buzz sound during 'Scarecrow', where maybe the compression has bought up background noise, the PCM DOSOTM sounds great and very similar to the original JPN Harvest, but the 2011 regular Cd version sounds too digital and has lost its warmth ? ?

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I had never heard A Saucerful of Secrets before yesterday, but, thanks to this reissue program, I now have. I picked up that album and Piper yesterday, and both discs sounded good to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.