Bob Dylan - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TangledUpInBlue wrote:

On the subject of overlooked Highway 61 classics, has anyone heard Dylan do a live version of Queen Jane?

I only have only officially released live Dylan albums, having never heard him sing it live in concert, there is one recorded version that's holding it together for me on my hunger for a live Queen Jane:

There's a live one on The Dylan-Dead Live album. Compared to nothing, I'm OK with it. (lol) (Actually better than a lot of the vicious criticism that album gets)

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Count me as another big fan of the b-side performance of "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" from Liverpool. But my favorite version might actually be from an audience tape of the Bristol show in '66. The lo-fidelity recording does not flatter most of the electric songs (the acoustic set is surprisingly respectable), but for whatever reason, JLTTB is a true monster. I suspect a better quality recording of this version would be definitive.

3. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Haven't heard that version for a long time, so I just put it on. It's a pity it's not a better recording, very drum heavy, good performance though. Interestingly, during "Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat", the song after JLTTB, at about 1.10 in someone can clearly be heard saying "people are walking out".

4. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Just to clarify further: the 3-track recordings from which the Manchester release were taken are better described as multi-tracks; yes, you could pan the 3 different tracks as left, right and centre, but I don't think they were recorded for precisely that purpose.

(Question: would it be the same sort of 3-track recorder as used for the Beatles' Hollywood Bowl recordings in 1964 & 1965?)

Somebody else suggested that the official Manchester release sounds quite boomy & could benefit from a remix - an early mix of that show was made and rejected, as sounding too "clean". Inevitably, that earlier version is out there somewhere though, personally, I really like the grungy sound of the BS CD's and would encourage anyone with even a minor interest in 60's Dylan to buy it now.

5. popnytt

popnytt Forum Resident

Buick 6 was performed at Hollywood Bowl 1965. Line recordings circulate.

6. popnytt

popnytt Forum Resident

Quite. To ponder what Bob "knew" in July 1966 would be an interesting topic for speculative dissertation.

Here's a pic from the final known pre- Triumph slide photo shoot. Anyone know who took the pics from this session? As ghostly & haunted a photo of Bob as ever I have seen. Considered in context, shatteringly revealing, evincing a , dare I say, borderline biblical aura, presaging, to my mind at any rate, the "wilderness" years.

If ever one was worth a thousand words.....

Attached Files:

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yep, I've got it. But I'm not optimistic I'll ever heard it in person!

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I was just thinking about the performance of JLTTB from this show. This is a good performance too! I love the piano. I love how this song took different shapes between different bands. And all of them bring something new to the song itself during this short period.

Since "It Takes a lot to Laugh" was brought up, I'd like to mention the great performance from the Concert For Bangladesh.

9. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

The Columbia stereo recordings were supervised by Dylan's producer Bob Johnston. The Nagra tapes were recorded by D.A. Pennebaker's film crew, who chronicled the tour. The Eat the Document version I've seen features edited song footage with incomplete versions of songs, except for "Ballad of a Thin Man".

10. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

It would be good if "Eat the Document" got a legit. release on DVD/Blu-Ray, preferably with full performances as an extra. Good film.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Hopefully including both the Pennebaker and Dylan/Alk cuts of the film (in addition to the full performances you mentioned).

PS: I see you're from Glascow. Did you have a chance to attend either of the shows over the last couple nights?

12. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

They'd have to use D.A. Pennebaker's work print, rather than the version that Howard Alk & Robbie Robertson edited for Dylan. While Mr. Pennebaker would probably like to see a proper released version, it's up to Dylan & his people to approve. Don't hold your breath.:shake:

13. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

And your gravity fails you and negativity won't pull you through...

This thread has made me pull this 'record' out again to hear this song. I put on Steve's amazing DCC Cd of it and started with JLTTB, and then DR. Then I pushed play again and went through the whole damned album--man, this one is a stone cold masterpiece, hard to believe it came out in 1965 (the month I was born)--WAY ahead of its time.

The whole album rocks, but Tom Thumb is extra special, and could only be followed by Desolation Row. :righton: :love: :goodie:

cheers,

14. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

No, didn't go. Over twenty years since I saw his Bobness on stage here, round about the "Oh Mercy" time, late (very) eighties.

15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I love Frankie Miller's cover.

16. "Did you have a chance to attend either of the shows over the last couple nights?"

My son saw him in Manchester last night and just rang me about it. Dylan didn't do "Just Like..."; nevertheless, my son said the show was excellent, with "Ballad Of A Thin Man" and "Like A Rolling Stone" stand-out performances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.