Are the 2011 Pink Floyd Remasters considered 'definitive'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnyColourYouLike, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnyColourYouLike

AnyColourYouLike Member Thread Starter

This thread is a poll for people who own (or have heard) both the new Pink Floyd remasters and the mastering considered the 'definitive' version of that album. I want to know the general concensus on whether the new editions of each of the '11 Pink Floyd remastered CD's are better than the previous "Holy Grail" masterings which are infamous on here.

i.e

Do you prefer the 2011 Dark Side of the Moon remaster to the Japanse Black Triangle/CP35-3017?

Do you prefer the 2011 Wish You Were Here remaster to the 2 track 35DP-4?

And so on...

So the question I ask, is, are the Pink Floyd remasters released this year considered 'definitive'?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Are the 2011 Pink Floyd Remasters considered 'definitive'? No.

I would have voted, but curiously, there is no "No" option.

Or maybe we need the thread title to match the poll title?

deredordica likes this.
  3. houston

houston Forum Resident

of course they are "definitive"...they are the latest remasters aren't they?

Galaga King and breakingglass like this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

5. :confused:
    No poll choice for "none", which I think is a reasonable choice for many.

deredordica likes this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary:
    "definitive" - decisive, unconditional, final; (of edition of book etc.) most authorative; (philately, of series of stamps) for permanent use, not commemorative, etc.

I think the second meaning, "most authorative", is what is meant here.

In my opinion it is nonsense to say that the remasters are definitive just because they are the latest remasters; it isn't an automatism. Unless you are being sarcastic, of course :)

RockAddict likes this.

7. I suspect Houston was kidding....

ARK likes this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Probably. See my post, last sentence, which I added within seconds of posting :)

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Exactly. The 2011 remaster of The Wall sucks; it is absolutely rubbish compared to the other versions I have heard.

deredordica likes this.
  10. Atreides

Atreides Forum Resident

As I guess the Sax remasters were planned to be the "definitive" masterings back in the early 90s (why they weren't used for all the european releases? I don't know), I believe the new 2011 remasters were planned to be the "definitive" masterings from 2011 onwards.

Sax remasters were the "definitive" masterings for all the reissues during the last 20 years, from 1992 up to 2011 (except for DSOTM, 2003, AMLOR, 2005, and Piper, 2007). Guthrie remasters will be the "definitive" masterings from now on. The difference, and why I do believe that these new masterings are the DEFINITIVE ones, is that probably in the next 20 years CDs as a format will be gone. Digital formats and probably vinyl for the "vintage-nostalgia" market will be the distribution formats by that time, IMO. My hope is that in 2030 we'll be purchasing high resolution files (96/24) and those will be the new "masterings". But those won't be released as CDs. The last, and hence the "definitive", mastering for CD will be, then, "that one, released 20 years ago when people used to spend lots of money in fancy boxsets" ;)

Just my 2 cents... :) cheers!

smoke likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't think I will (I'm 64) ;)

12. Atreides

Atreides Forum Resident

who knows?? some folks leave us early, some stay with us longer :righton:

Maybe in 2030, at 83, you'll be smashing your neighbor's ears and windows with some 96/24 release of DSOTM!! :goodie:

:cheers:

pinkchris1967, ARK and Hattipper like this.
  13. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

of course not...there's always room for improvement.

14. AnyColourYouLike

AnyColourYouLike Member Thread Starter

Sorry folks, I didn't get the question across as well as I probably could have.

When I said "definitive", I didn't mean like the "final" or the "latest" version. I mean the best sounding version to date on that specific format. The "regular" kind of masters (that you can buy literally anywhere) have never really been seen as the best ones, it always seems to be the rarest of rare Japanese/MFSL masters which are seen as the discs with the best sound quality.

Also, I apologise for not having a "none" option, which I probably should have done. However, I should have said that if you don't like any of the 2011 remasters, please mention why in the comments. I am curious to see your opinions and if you don't feel the new remasters are as good as your "go to" version, then please feel free to let me know what you feel is the better master for said title and we can hopefully discuss the matter in more detail.

I hope I have cleared up what I was trying to ask a bit better and I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. I am a massive Pink Floyd enthusiast and I have bought all their albums on various different formats and have collected most of the releases. However, I only bought 3 of the new 2011 remasters and to my ears I found that I preferred a different master for all of them.

Sorry for the confusion and please feel free to continue the discussion.

15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

NO, where can I vote 'No I prefer other pressings' ?

16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:wave: Hello, nice to see another Floyd fan:cheers:

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

So far I have only heard the 2011 The Wall remaster and I absolutely love it.
    I, like many others on the forum, am pretty jaded when it comes to the re-re-re master routine.

So I didn't expect much of an improvment but I was quite stunned at what I heard.

I've already raved about it in another thread but I found it smooth, clear and well balanced. It sounded "expensive" on my system!

I found the 2011 a clear winner in comparison with (the very good) Colombia C2K and the 94' remaster.

I will try out several of the other 2011 remasters now.

18. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

I have been going back and forth between my various DSOTM pressings - MFSL, Black Triangle, and 2011. I think the black triangle really stands out tonally, although it clearly has a lot more filtering (especially in the low end). The MFSL and the 2011 are somewhat similar tonally - the MFSL is a bit darker to me.

I guess I find the 2011 excellent and balanced sounding, although kind of boring compared to the MFSL and black triangle.

19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Of the ones I compared I prefer the original UK cd for animals, the original Harvest disc for the wall and the old Japan black faced cds for dark side and meddle.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

If you ask a Gort (via PM) to add the option, they will add it.

Then I will happily vote. :wave:

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Haven't heard it, but I love the Harvest original. The instrumental break in Mother sums up the quality of that version for me. Stopped me in my tracks when I first heard it played at home. Amazingly good.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Out of interest, how does the Meddle remaster compare with the Japanese black label version of the same?

23. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

I only have Ummagumma and the 2-disc Wish You Where Here (which I only got for the bonus tracks).

WYWH I havn't even bothered comparing yet. Ummagumma sounds okay but the waveforms show a some clipping. So there.

24. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I give a big thumbs up to the SACD of Wish You Were Here. :thumbsup:

25. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

The Dark Side of the Moon
    Wish You Were Here
    The Wall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.