I'm mastering 1969's "CROSBY, STILLS & NASH" this Tuesday for AF. 4 Guests picked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The CSN factor. :cool:

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

+1 ! :righton:

Although that Sweet Baby James is no slouch. :love:

cheers,

mrbill

3. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Steve, maybe its the group, CSN, being controversial group and egos everywhere, "the first supergroup", a hallmark album of that era, its a drawing card, I have been wanting this "CSN" lp and also "Deja Vu" (boy that's another herring, that would be a standing room only session if you remastered that one) done by you for years and years now. Finally you're doing "CSN" lp. I have even sent Graham Nash a couple of emails trying to persuade him to let you remaster both of the lps providing him a list of your past remastering. He replied with a answer, saying have to check with the other guys, lol!
    At least you completed the major catalog of all The Doors lps which I wanted badly. By the way what's the status on The Doors's project that you spoke of from last year as I can remember? You guys have fun time at the CSN remastering session and let us know what happens. Looking forward to these "hot release"! Should we see this by Christmas?

4. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I would fly in from Canada to see you at work!

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll pick this disc up on the day it's released. My go to version now is the Classic Records 200g pressing but that might change.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Would love to read Steve's notes about mastering this, tracking down the "Do not use" stereo reels, etc...

7. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

Hi Steve! I hope there will be "Deja Vu" remaster in your and our life!

8. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I think just about everyone on the forum does to!

Steve, send Neil a copy of Crosby, Stills & Nash when you're done...with a note...."OK? Now, can we do Deja Vu?"

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

One request: If you are going to master their first 2 (S/T and Deja Vu) , please find a way to include Ohio and Find the Cost of Freedom"

10. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

...as a bonus track on a limited edition SACD japanese pressing please!!??? ;)

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The first pressing mastered by forum member Diament is excellent, IMO

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

...or you just find yourself a nice copy of Barry's version of So Far...I have the rip right here on my work computer, and I've deleted all but those two tracks (why duplicate the rest ?) :wave:

Steve's likely going to leave Deja Vu in it's pure form, as he's already said NO bogus tracks on S/T. We're getting ahead of ourselves here. :laugh:

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

In the past discs have shown up pretty quick after Steve does his magic, weeks not months.

Don't have any inside info, but wouldn't surprise me if it shows up sooner rather than later.

14. Could we get the boat album and Daylight Again as well? Would love them!

15. Charliemcd

Charliemcd Forum Resident

Well, no email or PM from Steve so I guess I was too far down the list. :sigh:

Congrats to the lucky four going to this session! I am available on short notice though just in case someone can't make it.

16. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

...And your entire catalogue!

Definitely!

17. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Based on Steve's notes/comments, this sounds VERY promising. I have a real clean early edition LP that frankly sounds pretty wonky. Always assumed that was on the tape to a considerable degree. Can't wait to do an A/B study.

18. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Steve, it would be fabulous if you can achieve this.

My current "go to" versions of this album are an early Atlantic original and the Classic 45rpm single-sided. This is one of the few cases in which I have two versions of the same album on my shelves as shoot-out winners, but they sound quite different from each other. I play the original when I want the sound that I lived with in college, and I play the 45 rpm when I want the amazing complex and "delicate" resolution that it offers.

In each of them, however, the voices are disappointing on a good system. The voices are not "alive" (Steve's terminology is right on point here) and seem to come from a different studio with different ambience than the instruments. In some cases, it sounds like the songs were assembled rather than performed. This is particularly true on the 45 rpm, which has so much resolution that the differences in the parts from which the songs were assembled are more apparent to the listener.

But I love the music. Here's hoping that our host can work some wonders. :righton:

19. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

The Classic 45 is excellent, however, I highly suggest that you also seek out a Seventies "Warner Communications" (not 1841 Broadway) copy with GP (George Piros) in the deadwax. They are far superior to original pressings, IMO.

20. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

-

Wow....i wish i was availible! What a awesome opportunity to experience this!

You go, Steve.

:)

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Although I live 800 km from Paris, I'd be there. :D

22. cwon

cwon Active Member

Just let us know when this is released

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I received the "flats" today of the Crosby, Stills & Nash S/T album from 1969. I believe in using flats whenever possible. This saves wear and tear on the actual tape.

Wow, it's nice to hear this without any mastering at all even though it really needs work. This is what they heard on their grossly inaccurate studio monitors during mixing. A lot of stuff to fix but it's still a thrill to hear such a wide open sound with such extreme variations between song tonality and mixing (only a mastering engineer could get a thrill out of such wacky tonal variations..)

I'm doing my final mastering estimations in my home studio to save time and money during the final mastering on Tuesday.

I know this album was recorded right down the street from the mastering room but really, it sounds like it was recorded all over the world in many different studios. My job is to make it sound like a cohesive whole without compromising the original mix and production intentions.

It's such a great debut album, takes me right back to that time, especially hearing some of the stuff on side two.

At any rate, those of you who are invited to sit in during the mastering should have fun with a minimum of yelling and screaming...

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It will be interesting to see how SH handles the bass in "Long Time Gone". Is this a studio artefact due to dead woofers in the replay monitors (which is what the mastering engineer for the WEA/Kinney UK album must have decided) or was this the sound that was truly wanted by the band? I love this album - I have memories of being 14, hormonal and attending my very first "mixed" party. IIRC, "Down On The Corner" was a hit at the time, as well as SJBE. Ah, sweet memories.

25. For those clamoring for a Hoffman AF Gold edition of "Deja Vu", here's a bucket of cold water reality...the project requires both the prior and final approval of Neil "Archives" Young...:eek:
    Just a friendly reminder to my fellow Forum members!!!:winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.