Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I watched the first episode of Homeland on Showtime last night. Premise: A POW in Iraq is found in a raid and returns to the US a hero. But is he a hero, or was he turned during his time in Iraq? Is he the Manchurian Candidate for the new Millennium?

It's from some of the guys who gave us 24.

I thought it was very good, and I'll definitely be watching subsequent episodes.

This being Showtime, they took the "premium cable has to push the boundaries" approach to sex and language. Kind of tired. But whatever.

The acting was excellent...

2. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Recorded it after Dexter. Haven't had the chance to watch yet. The previews looked good.

3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

DirecTV was running the pilot for the last couple of weeks on their channel. I watched it already and I thinks the show looks promising.

4. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Just watched this on the DVR. Great show. Claire Danes is very good. Took my a few minutes to realize why I found the POWs wife so familiar....she played the alien leader Anna in "V". She looks more normal in this series for sure....especially striking how we are introduced to her... Will be setting the DVR to record all the episodes.

5. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It was also striking how we see Claire Danes freshen up. Apparently I'm not the only one who has found this interesting as I've read some articles already about the scene.

6. kwadguy

Watched the second episode last night.

While I'm still liking it overall, it seems to be moving a bit slowly. Liking, not loving.

The scene where the woman is interviewing a candidate to be part of the harem is ridiculously over the top. Nudity, crotch grab, discussion of anal, etc. I mean, yeah, I get it: This is Showtime, dammit! I got that with the use of the F- word in the show's intro credit sequence...

7. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Might be the best new show on TV.

Scope J likes this.
  8. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Ho bath!!! I was kind of shocked seeing that then the sex scene with the alien leader girl I was like WTF...then I remembered it was on Showtime...haha. I actually don't care about the language/sex thing, it's on late and well people in real life cuss and have sex so whatever. What was shocking is the nudity, innuendo, and language on American Horror Story on FX. Again, I have no problem, in fact I think ALL cable channels shouldn't be censored nor have commercials as I'm paying for them...but that's another argument.

I will admit, I do like this kind of a show. I was bummed as hell when they cancelled Rubicon because I like trying to figure things out when I'm watching a show, I really think Rubicon was too complex for most viewers and didn't have enough violence like Breaking Bad and Walking Dead (I like both of those shows btw, but really Rubicon was a thinking-person's shows). I'm hoping this show does well so I can see a few seasons.

9. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I would like to state for the record that starring in V was a brief lapse of reason on Morena Baccarin's part, and we should promptly forget that disaster of a series ever happened. Any mention of her role as "Alien Leader Girl" shall henceforth be stricken from the record. V is a stain on the record of an otherwise talented actress. Copy and paste for Elizabeth Mitchell.

If one must make reference to prior acting credits of the aforementioned actress, mention of her role as Inara from Firefly is not only acceptable but encouraged.

Homeland is great so far. I look forward to the rest of the season.

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Yeah, she was hot in that. I only saw the first few episodes of V and thought it was ok but since they took so long between the first few and the rest I lost interest.

11. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

hear hear!! :thumbsup:

12. kwadguy

Well, the third episode is even more Ho bath!! You get to see lingering shots of two babes topless, one clearly having sex, and the second watching her partner jack off.

13. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

For somebody who's complaining, you're giving us a very detailed description of the "good" scenes.

14. kwadguy

They stick out like a sore thumb...Not much plot progression relative to the amount of time devoted to them...So I have lots of time to think about them. :)

15. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I was gonna pass on this one as I was already watching Boardwalk Empire,Dexter,& Walking Dead on Sundays but my son told me how good it was so I watched the first 2 episodes on demand last night.I'm hooked.My DVR will be working OT on Sundays now.

16. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I hear you, I am also recording those same shows. I watch Boardwalk, and Homeland on Sun and Dexter on Mon. I was watching Breaking Bad on Sun too so now I guess I'll just replace that with Walking Dead.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just watched the first four episodes of this series. Okay, but certainly not great. I was a huge Rubicon fan too, but I don't see this show in that league. This is more like 24 or Sleeper Cell without the action. Everything (so far) seems more direct here. Nothing like Rubicon, other than broadly being a show about terrorism/anti-terrorism.

18. kwadguy

Hmmm...Did anyone really compare this show to Rubicon? Now THAT was a great show.

This show is decent enough, but nowhere near as subtle or unusual.

I think it's getting better as it goes on. But it's not anything like Rubicon.

19. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I would be shocked if Mandy Patinkin does not get an Emmy nomination for his role.

20. kwadguy

It's getting better with each episode...

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Someone sorta did in post #8. Or they mentioned it anyway. Yeah, Rubicon was excellent. I'm still annoyed that one is gone. :realmad:

Prepare to be shocked. Not saying he won't deserve it, he's great. But this show won't get enough attention for someone to get an Emmy nom in the first year.

Sorta. I'm not hooked. I expect it to pick up steam for the last few episodes. I like that they made Brody look bad again, as I thought they seemed to be trying to hard to indicate to us (if not to Carrie) that he's just a peaceful convert to Islam rather than actually a convert to Al-Qaeda.

22. kwadguy

Right. It's just not clear if he's turned or not. If he isn't, you have to wonder who is, since it seems, for example, that someone leaked info that allowed the bad guys near the airport to flee...

23. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

it does look like Brody passed the blade, but by then Afzal had been held by the Pakistani intelligence for 3 days, and the CIA another couple of days so the instructions to disappear could have gone much earlier

24. kwadguy

Watched the new episode last night. I can't figure out if Carrie is borderline stupid (getting drunk and screwing the guy she thinks is guilty) or if it's all "undercover" work to get into his mind.

25. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

My wife thinks Carrie's boss is the double agent who passed the prisoner a blade.
    He didn't want to take the polygraph and has been extremely reluctant to pursue Carrie's thesis.
    As for her ....well.....she has previously liked dangerous trysts in inappropriate scenarios so no surprise there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.