I'm mastering 1969's "CROSBY, STILLS & NASH" this Tuesday for AF. 4 Guests picked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

2. Wish I could be there..just been comparing the LP with Joe Gastwirt's CD re-master. Not sure what's so wrong with the bass on "Long Time Gone" - the bass on "Suite" sounds more intrusive to me on Gastwirt's. One thing - Nash's harmonies always seem more "mixed up" and louder than the other two - maybe just 'cause his voice is higher.. And the sound on "49 Bye-byes" has always sounded harsh, even on Gastwirt - something to do with it being the last track on the album?

And what is it with removing the "Come on in my kitchen" line on some re-masters (not Gastwirt's by the way)? Isn't it a Robert Johnson line, or even older? Surely out of copyright for years?

Hope the session lives up to the pre-billing - good luck, Mr. Hoffman!!

Cheers,

Martin

3. It's the ice cream and balloons.:shh:

Classic 45rpm vinyl vs. gold CD when it comes.

This vinyl is very, very good.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I thought maybe it was the chicks.

5. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

What are "flats"?

6. Flat transfers of the original master tape.

The best way to prep is to spend time listening to and getting acquainted with all the mastering details that need to be performed.

Then when the master is finally threaded you are ready to implement a concise plan of action. :)

7. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

Will the CD be mastered from the flats or the original master tape?

Or is the flat used just for prep purposes?

Can't wait to hear this version! :righton:

8. Steve Hoffman

What is your best guess?

9. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Steve, do you have to bake or not bake these flat transfers? Just curious!

10. That practice only applies to recordings made after 1974 due to the chemical composition of tape lubricant used from that year on...this album was recorded in 1969...:wave:

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Whale oil--we have yet to top it as a tape lubricant...

12. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

"I'll take originals for $1,000.00, Alex..."

13. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I am definitely getting this as soon as it comes out. Just think what Mr. Hoffman is gonna do with the sound of those beautiful Martin guitars.

14. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I'd love to sit in on one of these sessions some day. Just to see the tapes, let alone hear them, would be an amazing experience and to see and hear what's involved in remastering them. It'd be a long trip but, hey, who knows?

15. Steve Hoffman

Why would I bake a CD-R?:confused:

Do you mean baking the actual analog master tapes? If so, no need, they are way before the need to bake anything.

16. You could be right, Chicks love he smell of whale oil in the morning.

17. I'm very excited about Steve mastering this title, love the album - this should be a real treat. One of these days I'd love to make it to the West Coast for a mastering session, wish the lucky guys that get the chance lots of fun.

18. Steve Hoffman

I've been told that some people are confused. Please read:

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

So let me understand this then.

The "flats" you speak of (for testing out mastering moves) are flat transfers of the master tape to CDR, rather than to tape?

20. Steve Hoffman

Yeah. Why Waste Wax? (as Jack Kapp used to say in the 1930's.)

My moves are complete and at the studio on Tuesday we will use the actual analog master tapes (recently discovered, by the way) for our mastering.

21. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Thanks. Understood.

Methinks 'tis about time you did some mastering in Blighty.

Give us folks in the old country a chance.

22. So Steve Stills had the first generation mixdown tapes all this time and didn't know it?!? Wow!!!:eek:

23. I was lucky enough to attend Steve's James Taylor mastering session a couple months ago and had a great time! The four of you who go this time will have a great experience.

24. Steve Hoffman

Who said he didn't know it? The band gave Atlantic a dub for their "master" back in 1969 and that EQ'd dub was used for over 35 years for all LP and digital versions after the initial cut. Only a few years ago did Atlantic actually get the real deal masters from the band. The Classic vinyl version used them, I believe that was the first use of these actual first generation mixes.. I will be using them as well for this new Audio Fidelity Gold disk version.

25. "we will use the actual analog master tapes (recently discovered, by the way) for our mastering."

Good heavens - so the original LP and all the re-masters by Barry Diament & Joe Gastwirt used dubs! I haven't heard the Classic vinyl version - has anybody else, and what does it sound like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.