I'm mastering 1969's "CROSBY, STILLS & NASH" this Tuesday for AF. 4 Guests picked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Numerous people have already commented on it in this thread.

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Are you saying that the original 1969 LPs were mastered from this dub, and the "new" master tapes obtained from Stills are lower generation/higher quality?

3. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Steve, I was wondering if it was brought up during the negotiations if you knew, was there an option doing both, an "gold cd" and "vinyl" too? Also will AF or any members of the band might show up? Will the band members receive a "gold cd" of CSN? Maybe it would help to entice them in letting you remaster Deja Vu into a "gold cd"? I'm really happy you are doing the "CSN" couch album, been waiting a long time for this one!:righton:

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That explains why the Classic Records 200g pressing sounds so good. It's still available too. I'll be picking up this disc to go along with it.

5. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

I never knew that all these years Atlantic wasn't using the original masters for these albums/cd's!

I have the early CS&N cd's already that were remastered in the early mid 2000's, And always thought they used the master tapes.

Thanks Steve for the info regarding the tapes & It looks like i'll be buying this latest remaster again, & I'm sure it will sound 100 percent better! I hope the lucky members in attendance have a wonderful time!!

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Viper 66, I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm but do you think a nicely made tape copy is 100% worse than the original? That's just silly talk, partner..

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I think that you glossed over this: :)

8. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

You have made a good point Steve, Since i am not in the recording/Mastering business, I guess i was a little over enthusiastic with that remark about this current remaster sounding 100 percent better..So let's go with 60 then.:D
    Regardless my friend, I am sure the sonics on this newly mastered version will still sound far superior than any other releases of this cd. Cheers!:cheers:

9. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I know Neil wasn't involved with this album but I hope he gets sent a copy. Who knows, maybe he'll have a change of heart with future projects.

10. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I hope he gets a copy too. So he'll hear how good they sounded without him.

Can't wait to hear this!

11. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

No Lewis, No Show...

Considering that, AFAIK, in the 25-odd year history of Gold Cds Neil has only allowed one of his titles to be issued in GOLD, Old Ways, a weak country-poke album from 1985, I seriously doubt Neil will care nor allow Deja Vu to get the Gold/Remastered by the pros treatment.

He seems to be elsewheres...

Bridge show this weekend!

Still greatly looking forward to CSN, hopefully for Christmas! :righton:

cheers,
    mrbill

12. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

On the other hand, Neil seems to care a lot about sound quality, so who knows?

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

At the same time that I ordered NY's box set of his first four albums on 180g vinyl pressed at Pallas I ordered the CD set too and they're gold.

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Well count me in for a copy of this when its finished! A desert isle disc for me.

But about this 'initial cut' of the LP. If there is some early cut that really used 'the' master.... I have to locate it. I've tried too. God knows I've listened to dozens of sources for this LP - all the initial year releases with low letter lacquers (A-D) that used Long Wear metal parts, pressed at Monarch & Presswell. Also the copy tape made Columbias, UK plum Atlantic's (by Polydor), several Canadian copies - none of these are in the running for a 'best sounding' copy. If all that was available for years was an EQ'd dub I'm amazed how different the US cuttings of this album can sound. They're all over the map. I'm not aware of any early pressing which sounds that great. Then......

I compare a George Piros cutting. Specifically the 'F' code, pressed by Monarch around 1975-77 or so....immediately noticeable leap in quality. Beats every other copy I've ever heard in balance, mastering, extension, presence.

So a forum member comes over and we compare this Piros cutting to the 33-1/3 Classic release. The Classic is a great sounding LP for sure, master tape right? Yet that particular Piros cut is neck & neck with it in detail except...it just flat has better attack. More sure footed. Piros did wonders with whatever tape he used!

One can't have too many copies of this album....

15. HotHere

HotHere Forum Resident

Have a great mastering session Steve, and I'm looking forward to pics!

16. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Let me tell all you young fellas somethin' and remember I've been listening to music since the days when Benny Goodman first blew his good old clarinet. Buy this album. Crank it loud. Enjoy. And that's all I've got to say.

17. my previous comments were reserved for the 45 rpm one sided Classic vinyl.

the harmonies in Guinnevier is pure bliss

can't wait to compare, though.

18. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

Same here. I just recently bought the 200 gram Classic Records version from ebay for $40 and it sounds great. I'm excited to pick up this gold disc as well when it comes out. It will be interesting to compare.

19. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

20. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Butt, what if...

Wait :confused: so this 'couch-mastering' session is today, and they already have a release date for this in less than a month? That seems like a might tight turn around.--and it assumes all them SHTV forum member guests could all fit on the couch and sit quietly... :winkgrin:

I'd be happy to see this CD by Christmas, and can't believe it could be out that soon... :love:

cheers,

21. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I have a feeling you will like this latest mastering... ;)

22. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

This kind of TAT is not unprecedented, or even unusual, based on some of Steve's prior posts on stuff he's mastered for AF.

I know nothing of supply-line scheduling in CD manufacturing plants (or the facilities that create the artwork), but it doesn't take much "clock time," at all, to physically manufacture a compact disc.

23. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

The Gary Wright title is an interesting AF choice, for sure, as the original issue CD is superb, sonically.

24. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

How did the session go? Any interesting stories? How was lunch? ;)

25. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

After reading this thread... If I was new to mastering I would think eating cheeseburgers is part of the process :laugh:

Seriously though, I am curious how long it takes to master something on average once you got everything ready to go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.