Billy Crystal-Bruno Kirby "feud"...does anyone know the details?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Good one! Maybe the personal assistant had an uncle in the CIA.

2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Crystal spent a good chunk of that time writing and starring in his "memoir" 700 Sundays. Spent a while on Broadway and toured a couple times, IIRC. Don't know why he never filmed it for DVD or broadcast.

There's good money to be made in the Disney/Pixar voiceover game, if your contract is astute, and I'm sure he did very well on Monsters Inc. and the upcoming sequel will add to that exponentially.

Overall...not a bad 10 years, IMO.

3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

"Baby fish mouth?"

4. Phaserz On Stun

Phaserz On Stun Forum Resident

Lovers quarrel.

5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

1) Meg Ryan hasn't had much of a career since When Harry Met Sally either.

2) A USA Today reporter asked Billy about the feud during that Q & A he did with Julia Roberts movie and he was mum

3) From what I've gathered, it was Bruno who didn't like Billy

4) During the When Harry Met sally Director's commentary, Rob Reiner mentions that Billy was good friends with Bruno (says it in past tense) and Billy just says "Uh Huh"

5) Billy has never had the power to blackball anyone.

OT -Does anyone remember a tv movie called Million Dollar Infield? It stars Rob Reiner and Bruno Kirby.....I remember it being good.....no where on video
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084331/

6. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

That's one of those rare titles I can't even find searching for on rare movie trading sites.

Must have been played once and locked in the vault forever.

7. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

LOL! :D

8. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Okay, I'm sorry I used that word...everyone seems to be calling me out on it...but I still think that something happened here that hasn't come out.

9. jojopuppyfish

Cliff Roberston was blackballed in Hollywood for snitching on an exec who forged a check in Cliff's name
    One big Hollywood producer got everyone to stop hiring him for several years.

10. jojopuppyfish

I remember the beginning. Kibry is in bed with his girfriend after having sex and gets a phone call that his mother or father died.
    I just remember how sad I felt with that scene.

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Seems more like producers want to stay away from such a conflict between the two, for fear that the conflict will overshadow whatever film they are in. It probably lasted so long that no major player even considers casting either of them in a role, together or apart anymore. If the two did some damage control early on, maybe they could have kept their momentum rolling after City Slickers, but perhaps that ship has sailed.

12. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Well, I would suppose that ship has sailed since Bruno Kirby is deceased.

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

True he died 6 years ago. He had leukemia, seems health might have more to do with why he stopped making so many full length movies.

14. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

So before City Slickers he was in an average of 9 feature length theatrical movies a decade. After this supposed fallout and blacklisting he was in 13 movies in the 90's.

So umm not sure what we are talking about here.

15. dirwuf

According to trusty Wikipedia he had only been recently diagnosed before he died...

As far as I'm concerned, Kirby totally stole "Good Morning Vietnam"...

16. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I think the idea is that he had roles in more significant productions prior to the supposed fallout than the TV movies and TV series he frequented afterwards.

But it does seem like we've all spent far too much time worrying about the late Bruno Kirby's relationship with Billy Crystal.

17. dirwuf

I don't know why but ever since I started this thread you've been trying to shoot it down...have you looked at the titles and size of the roles Kirby did after "City Slickers"?

Perhaps his later career arc had nothing to do with Billy Crystal; but the fact is that something did go down between them, and Kirby's career immediately tailed off...I'm just curious as to whether there's a coloration between the two.

18. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Nope look at the list and compare it's not like he had huge roles in the 80's. His career had a brief pop were he was the supporting guy. Personally I think his roles in movies like the Basket Ball Diaries are just as important and interesting as anything he did in the 80's.

19. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Yes I have, have you looked at his roles before Good Morning Vietnam? He was second banana in 3 big movies in a row. Far from a stellar career.

20. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'm sure somewhere the late Mr. Kirby is grateful for your championing his later oeuvre. :winkgrin:

21. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

In 1997, he was in Donnie Brasco with Al Pacino and Johnny Depp. Pretty major film with two big stars and a strong ensemble cast

22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

He also did some prominent guest spots as himself on Larry Sanders, including the big series finale in 1998. ("A man singing to a man. How ****ing sick is that?")

I kind of doubt of he was blackballed from Hollywood in general. Billy Crystal was big, but not *that* big. To be fair, his best known roles were with Billy Crystal's movies, but he did plenty of work elsewhere and Barry Levinson didn't have a problem with him.

23. dirwuf

When I started this thread the point was to know if anyone had any more info as to what actually happened between Crystal and Kirby; I guess I dug my own grave with the "blackballed" comment...I didn't expect the debate to focus on that.

So I guess I shouldn't mention an even better feud...David Cross vs. Jim Belushi

look it up

24. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I like the blog article you linked to. A nice piece on Bruno and some supporting evidence that he and Billy C. had a falling out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.