The official "random Star Wars stuff" thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rocker, Sep 26, 2011.

1. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I ended up getting the Marvel comic for the movie (I was 9) before it came out and it spoiled that reveal for me!

2. 1997Monterey

1997Monterey New Member

Thanks. Ihaven't watched the Prequel Trilogy in a while so I'll check for that now that I have the Blu's.

3. 1997Monterey

1997Monterey New Member

I'm surprised it didn't say "Dear Carrie... lose ten more pounds"

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

One little thing that has always really irked me in ROTJ is the use of a really bad audio take of a line of dialogue from one of the Imperial officers on board the Executor. It occurs during the space battle in the last half of the movie, during this scene:

Admiral Piett: "Hold here."
    Officer: "We're not going to attack?"
    Admiral Piett: "I have my orders from the Emperor himself. He has something special planned for them. We only need to keep them from escaping."

The Officer's line is the one that grinds my gears. In particular, the delivery of the line itself is completely incorrect. For starters, he puts the emphasis on the word "going" ("we're not GOING to attack?") when it should be on the word "not" ("we're NOT going to attack?"). And secondly, he puts the wrong inflection at the end of the sentence... he delivers the line as if he's making a statement, rather than asking a question.

How this horrid take was chosen as the final audio for the scene is beyond me. A truly cringe-worthy moment in an otherwise epic battle scene.

:rolleyes:

Neil Anderson likes this.
  5. TheCassidy

TheCassidy New Member

No one answered this yet?

OK, here goes to the best of my ability...

The original 1977 theatrical version of Star Wars was simply called that. No Episode IV: A New Hope . That was changed just prior to the release of Empire in 1980, which is when the Episode titling began.

The majority of prints of Star Wars struck just prior to Empire had the new title either spliced in or added for the re-release of Star Wars in theatres.

All home video versions up to the 2006 "Bonus Disc" original theatrical cuts of Star Wars had the re-titling. For the "Empire of Dreams" documentary and (presumably) the 2006 DVD the title was digitally recreated to appear as it did in 1977.

If you want a real treat, there are, shall we say, non-commercially available versions of the original Star Wars from a 1977 16mm print (beat to crap but it's historic looking) as well as HD preservations of the classics as they originally were seen - which don't have the Episode IV re-titling.

Hope I got that right...?

6. Rocker

There are also a million instances of general "why didn't they just do this" moments in the trilogy.... for example, during the Battle of Yavin, why didn't the Empire launch more TIEs to combat the attacking Rebel fighters? They could easily have launched a thousand TIEs and wiped out the Rebels in seconds... but instead, what do they do? They only sent out a dozen or so, and look how well that worked for them. :rolleyes:

I would say the same goes for the gunport sequence after the Falcon escapes from the Death Star (only 4 TIE Fighters!)... but at least the novel version contains an extra line of dialogue that does address the issue, albeit briefly:

Leia: They let us go, it's the only explanation for the ease of our escape.
    Han: Easy? You call that easy?
    Leia: They're tracking us. They could easily have launched a hundred fighters.

:)

Simon A likes this.
  7. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Thanks for finally resolving this question! :)

8. conception

conception Forum Resident

For one, the empire was overconfident. Star Wars fans and perhaps books (I don't know where it's coming from) have also taken to saying that one of the flaws of the Death Star was that it simply was understaffed. It required so many people to man all of its defenses that they simply couldn't find the people to do so quick enough. It's not hard to imagine that a station that size, which would have required hundreds of thousands (if not millions) to man every part of it would have had manpower shortages. So while the Death Star could have easily held over a hundred tie squadrons, it likely maintained much less, because even the Empire's resources weren't unlimited (especially in terms of getting people to support a corrupt regime).

Simon A likes this.
  9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

That dialogue is in the original movie.

Following the general dude (Cushing) and Vader discussing that he (general dude) is taking "an awful risk" by letting them go. So that was well explained. I forget if those scenes are in the re-dos but they are in the original cuts, incl. on the DVD.

Simon A likes this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Simon A likes this.
  11. apileocole

Ha! Sure hope the poor fellow gets some good treats as a reward for that. :)

Simon A likes this.
  12. Rocker

I guess I should have bolded the specific line I was talking about.... the part about "launching a hundred fighters" isn't in the movie, only the novel. In the film, Leia only says "they're tracking us", to which Han replies "not THIS ship, sister".

13. apileocole

Ah. Well the film doesn't include it because of your other point. If Leia had specifically stated that they could have launched hundreds, it would undercut the believability of the limited fighter response in the later attack. That hinged upon, as I think the one giving the mission briefing to the rebel pilots pointed out, the Death Star's defenses were oriented to large scale confrontations; they did not have much in the way of a small scale defense, meaning few fighters. That also of course helped the believability of Vader going out and joining the fighters himself; he chose to, yes, but if there were gads of fighters he could have been hampering them by getting in their way, possibly making him seem to be more self-serving and less sided with the Empire before he should. So given the later scenario it's probably good the film doesn't include that line. :)

PS knowing in hindsight that Leia was to be Luke's sister, it was fun to go back and hear Hans call her "sister," although he's just using it colloquially of course. Is that geeky of me or what? :)

Simon A likes this.
  14. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

Of all the things in ROTJ...

15. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

I remember my kids loving that. But nothing compared to what my grandkids recently received..

[​IMG]

16. Rocker

Well, there are certainly other things wrong with ROTJ, but that bad audio take has always stuck out like a sore thumb to me. ;)

There's also another bad audio take during the scene where Han and Lando say goodbye to each other in the Rebel hangar.... Han says "You need all the help you can get, she's the fastest ship in the fleet", to which Lando replies "I'll take good care of her, she-she won't get a scratch!"

You're telling me no one noticed the double "she" when they were doing the final edit of the movie?
    :confused:

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That thing's not to scale - send it back! :D

18. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

Never noticed that. Must be too distracted looking at the lame matte background during that exchange.

Bewaremylove likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Just a verbal stumble by the actor, I've always thought.

20. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

21. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

22. What's with all the bottomless shafts/pits in these films?:

Obi Wan turns off the tractor beam from a ledge over an impressively deep shaft.

Luke swings Leia over an deep pit.

Darth throws the emperor into a really deep pit to save Luke.

Obi Wan kills the Sith who falls in two down a really deep shaft.

Luke lets go after fighting with Darth in what appears to be a bottomless shaft.

Sarnak, a deep pit with "teeth".

-s1m0n-

23. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Seems to be partially inspired by the Krell "computer" from Forbidden Planet.

[​IMG]

24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm more concerned with the ridiculous amounts of hands being chopped off in the course of the movies. Any psychologist here who can explain that weird amputation issue to me?

25. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Considering they are fighting with swords there is not much strange about it.