Crosby, Stills and Nash Gold CD Mastering: A day with our gracious host. PICS @ #119

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Scott,

More relaxed? Well, doing digital is easier in one way, we can stop after each song. Cutting that SWEET BABY JAMES LP lacquer was a pisser because we had to do all the songs on a side in real time and the dynamics were brutal on that pup.

One nice thing about our Tuesday session was that both Stephen and I had throughly prepared ourselves ahead of time with what we needed to do and we both had ideas on how we were going to do it. That makes it a lot easier to master something complete in four hours and get the heck out to recharge.

In fact, I made a few changes after we wraped and Monsieur Marsh re-transferred a few songs for me yesterday, one at a db lower level and the other with a bit more tone shaping. Now we're truly finished and the master is off to the factory.

The CS&N album is quite tricky in many ways. The "group" vocals were mainly comped to one channel so the tonality is way off from the solo vocals. In a few cases we just left it ("and it appears to be a lo-ong...") but in the case of SUITE JUDY BLUE EYES it has bugged me for years so we actually pieced together several tone sections with different tone shapings to match the vocals in those individual sections. We went mainly along the same as the numerous splices. Each spliced section had a different tone. Now the vocal tone changes are not so abrupt. It sounds much more uniform now, vocally speaking..

Yes, we obsess. Part of the job..

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

And that's what makes the difference between a good job and a great job :edthumbs:

3. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Wait a minute, there isn't room for all of us! Maybe Stephen can use the same type of process that Steve just did to choose the 'guests' to pick the lucky tenant.

:thumbsup:

4. cencalphono

cencalphono New Member

So, as the original 45 was mono, does this mean that the mono 45 was a fold-down?

5. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Here ya go Scott. And the iconic Capitol Records building to the right.

Attached Files:

6. Steve Hoffman

We try..

7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I know....I can hear it :)

8. Thanks for having the mindset to snap those pics. One thing with growing up out here, is I've seen this place my whole life, and just like living down the street from Disneyland, I find myself taking things for granted, and having to remind myself now and again, how lucky I am.

Stephen and I had a pretty cool little conversation on our way down from the roof, and I think one of the last things I said to him, was "Damn, you are living the dream!". Stephen is living in a dream spot, working with music all day, and to top it off (as if it needed it), he's getting to work side by side with Steve! I mean how much more unreal than that, does it get?! The only way I can figure it, is that Stephen was a Saint in his previous life. :agree: :laugh:

All joking aside, Stephen Marsh is a very cool dude, and I think anyone who has met him, or will meet him, will agree with me whole heartedly.

9. :righton: :cool:

10. Steve Hoffman

Scott,

I'm sure that Stephen Marsh doesn't see it that way and would rather work solo than with me any day, heh. He probably just tolerates my presence there in his little kingdom..

We do work well together though, that's for sure.. We finish each other's sentences and I've only known him a short while..

11. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Like the time when you suggested a move and Stephen had already done it, saying "Just gettin' ahead of the curve."

12. Steve Hoffman

Exactly. He's on the ball.

13. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

A nicely mastered burger - notice how the the full dynamic range has been preserved. No clipping or brickwalling at all. But it does look like some compression is necessary before ingestion. :D

14. Steve Hoffman

You got it! It does need to be squashed.. The old-fashioned way, by hand..

15. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

manual analog compression

16. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd Thread Starter

:laugh:

17. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

One thing I noticed about him is that he's quick. Most good engineers are, as studio time is expensive and slow engineers can run up the clock.

He's also a very nice guy and doesn't seem to have his ego getting in his way. I really enjoyed hanging with him, and Steve of course, and talking shop.

I don't get to hang out with other engineers too often these days and it's always fun for me. Even though we may not all know each other we're all pretty similar in a lot of ways.

I guess the same can be said about many of us forum members.

18. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Wow, very interesting about the difference in tonality from the "group" vocals to the solo vocals. Cool that you were able to tweak that (or even thought about tweaking it!) Thanks for sharing, Steve.

19. Steve Hoffman

Some snaps from SH Forums member Mayoski..

A few shot cleared by legal.

1. Stephen Marsh and SH.
    2. Futzing with the Ampex.
    3. Shot of my water bottle, Peanut Butter bar and little bag of trail mix. Crucial mastering items.
    4. Looking to heaven for guidance.
    5. "Talent Boost" control knobs at left..

Attached Files:

20. Steve Hoffman

1. Consulting my mastering scribble while Marsh works.
    2. Trying out various GML settings.
    3. Talking to Randy, Scott & Gang while Marsh works.:)

Attached Files:

21. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I've worked in one of those buildings, but I'm not saying which one. :D

22. Steve Hoffman

Yikes, really, Doug? PM me some stories about that place.

23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Hey Steve, I noticed you had a cd copy of the "couch" album sitting there on the desk.

Just off hand, how often do you reference a past mastering when working on a new re-mastering? Do you use it if you guys disagree on the way certain things sound?
    Or do you listen to it before starting and note certain things that you need to work on?

Thanks for sharing the pictures and to the poster on giving us this insight, its interesting.

24. Steve Hoffman

We referenced it in passing. There are two CD versions of it on the desk if you look closely.

We played it once for a few seconds to compare a track. No need to do any more..

I do my background work at home, comparing various vinyl and digital versions. Saves in-studio time..

Glad you like the photos, Mayoski from Minn. took 'em..

25. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

I wonder what tape was used by Joe Gastwirt for the Atlantic Gold CD edition. The story about the chatter before the song Marrakesh Express makes me doubt is was the original master tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.