Is another thread about Led Zeppelin II RL (Bob Ludwig pressing) really necessary!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZootAllures, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes!

Based on the overwhelming hype from forum members I decided to spend my whole month's music budget on a very strong VG+, quiet throughout LZ II RL. I was in the office today when it arrived, and promptly decided to work "from home" this afternoon. Just finished my first listen, and it definitely lives up to the hype, so a big thanks!

It's also my first Monarch pressed LP, and I must say it's "hefty". It felt like I was handling a current 180g record. My old copy that it's replacing is like a flexy-disc in comparison (and worthless sounding now that i've listened to this).

Anyways, looking forward to buying other "forum favourites" of titles that I enjoy. It's definitely worth the extra money...

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

How much did you end up having to bid? Ebay right?

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I love my RL - found it in a local store for $20 this past summer. There's a bit of surface noise that's noticeable during the quiet parts (Thank You, What Is.....) but for the most part, the music overpowers all. If I were selling mine, I would rate it between a VG and VG+.

I also love my AT/GP cut. I try to remember which one I played last, and alternate between the two.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, I don't think another thread is needed. Finding one of the other dozens of them and adding to that would seem more appropriate.

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

There is always room for another Led Zep II thread!

The Beave likes this.
  6. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Necessary if it's a for sale thread.

7. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

+1

8. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident Thread Starter

correct, ebay. Cost me about the same as a Music Matters 45rpm jazz record...I was actually fretting getting a Horace Silver record or the LZ II. Glad I decided the way I did

I may pick that up for the right price. Like I said before, I don't think I'll ever play my 1977 Canada pressing again. Not even worth 5 bucks in comparison

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Well, $50 is a good price. I always see them go towards $100 which is hard to pull the trigger on. Enjoy!

10. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Just say you paid 105.50 plus $4 shipping.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

"Is another thread about Led Zeppelin II RL (Bob Ludwig pressing) really necessary!*"

N0 !!!

12. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just put out this mix on HDtracks, and we'll call it a day.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That would be nice. :righton:

14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

As I mentioned above, I bought mine locally, but I think this thread would be better if those of you that bought yours online would post your tracking numbers.

15. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Picked up a copy last week at a local shop for 25.00, it's about VG but still sounds amazing. The owner of the shop knew it was an RL, he had it listed on the sticker as an "RL Sterling Sound" it was well worn but I cleaned it up and the sound is just massive, I can see why they had to re-cut it, it feels like my needle wants to jump out of groove on some parts. Overall, it certainly lives up to the hype and I'm glad to have a copy, maybe I'll find a better one down the road.

16. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

I would say not necessary, but certainly welcome!

Without this forum and posts like yours, I'd have never known about the RL cut of LZ II. I have found two on eBay that I lucked into winning at low prices. My favorite is one with extremely narrow deadwax on side 2. The vinyl was very well maintained, and cleaned up to VG+ or better. The only drawback is a prior owner wrote his last name on the label of one side, and back of the jacket. These flaws have no effect on the sound! :winkgrin: This thing seriously smokes!!

My second copy is pretty noisy, though quite dynamic, and if I recall, is an "RL" on one side and Sterling "LH" (Lee Hulko) on the other. Not as nice a copy, but interesting from a collector standpoint.

A bit off topic, but The RL version of "Houses Of The Holy" is also great!

17. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I got my RL in a bookstore in San Francisco for $8 last Thanksgiving. Glad I decided to pop in to see if they had any records! It's clean-looking but a bit noisy during quiet parts. Maybe it'll clean up to sound better when I finally get an RCM, but it's still listenable.

My other copies are an @TGP which sounds great--think I paid $6 for that one--and a German one-sided RL which is well-regarded on the forums. Paid about $6 for that one as part of an LZ lot on eBay.

Honestly, I could be more than happy with any one of these. It is nice to have options, though!

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Well it sure beats having another 'Who's Next' thread!

JG

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Or Beatles related thread.... :hide: :D

20. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Canadian Atlantic red label pressing of Led Zeppelin II. Don't know how it compare to an RL, but it sure beats my cd.

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have a RL LZ II and IMO the Classic Records 200 g pressing sounds better. This should be interesting.

22. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

You have to know what's coming next. You have a blank equipment profile so your opinion doesn't count. :confused:

The Beave likes this.
  23. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

In what way? I compared these awhile back and the Classic sounded like it was cut from a dub where the treble was boosted to compensate, losing the naturalness of the RL.

24. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I have both and that is a good assessment. :thumbsup:

25. lordvader

lordvader Forum Resident

I got my hands on an RL a month or two ago.

I'll be honest, LZ II isn't one of my faves, and I was a bit sceptical that it could be THAT different ...

BUT !

I was totally sucked into it ! The sound was massive, and I was completely pulled into the album. Not only is it a great sounding Led Zep album, but it's a great sounding album in general.
    I want another copy !!! (dunno why, the one I have is pretty good. A bit noisy, but I can't hear any groove damage)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.