Inner groove damage on used records - more common in the left channel?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeP5877, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

I notice on a number of used albums and 45's, inner groove crackle is more prevalent in the left channel than the right. Is there are reason for this? I do not think it is my setup, as most of my records track good, in both channels.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would guess use of old heavy arms with no bias compensation.

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I've actually noticed the opposite with a copy of a mono UK Revolver I used to have. The right channel had all of the distortion but when I turned the balance all of the way to the left it sounded fine.

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I don't think there's a favoring of one side of a groove over the other in normal wear or damage. However, if a stylus itself gets chipped then anything is fair game. If you have a reasonable system you notice this straight away, but back in the 60's or 70's who could tell. Or care much.

5. Distortions

Distortions Forum Resident

From what I remember, the left channel is the inner portion of the vinyl groove wall. If the previous owner of the album did not have his tt properly set-up, it would cause irreparable damage to the record.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

I think you're correct. That's what I'm finding, particularly on old 45's (oops, I mean 45s). On some, the right channel sounds pristine whilst the left is all crackly. The previous owners most likely didn't know about or care about anti-skate and probably had a too-high tracking force which put too much pressure on the inner part of the groove (left channel).

7. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

The right channel is the one that normally seems problematic to me.

8. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

That has been my experience as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.