Pink Floyd Discovery Box for £1.27

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by AnyColourYouLike, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Whoever got this deal, please keep us updated!

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I believe mine said it is coming out of Illinois.

3. rockclassics

Will do. Mine currently says -

Dispatching soon
    Delivery Estimate: 19 Nov 2011 - 29 Nov 2011

4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Same with my order.

5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

could be chinese versions?

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Could be. Look for fuzzy artwork, misspellings, and odd smells.

7. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I guess the 'Discovery' is whether you actually get one for $1.27 :)

8. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

bugger, I always end up spending money when come here :righton:

9. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

good luck! hope you guys get it!

10. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

All the best guys! That's almost literally a steal!

11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Why? A buyer has no legal right to claim an item that is so obviously mispriced.

12. smartiepants

my order has changed to "dispatching soon" stranger things have happened!!

still expecting it to be cancelled to be honest but nothing ventured

13. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Who gets to say at what point an item is "obviously mispriced" ?

Would it still be obviously mispriced at 5 pounds?

10 pounds?

15 pounds?

What is the "cutoff" point at which it is obviously mispriced? 20 pounds could just be a good deal, but if it's 19 pounds, it's obviouisly mispriced?

And who gets to decide such things?

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Common sense and jurisprudence

As the item is not marked as a gift or a promo, a price of only 1% of the regular list price must be considered an error, especially in case of online stores where typing errors can easily happen. Competing offers are also taken into account (as many CDs are being discounted at $1, but not in this case). I don't know about the UK, but german courts have consistently sided sellers in these cases.

It's different when the price is just 30% or even 50% below the expected price, and the value of the good must also be taken into account. A price error on a car is treated differently than an error on a CD.

15. smartiepants

there is no right, we get this noted on the order e-mail, sometimes these things slip through

"Please note that for items ordered from Amazon.co.uk this e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order and your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched to you. For items purchased from third parties in Marketplace, your contract to purchase these items is not complete until you receive an e-mail notifying you that the item has been dispatched. "

16. Baba Oh Really

So..... the "cutoff" point where it is an error is "Below 50%" of the original price, and at this point it can be deemed an obvious mistake - this is your answer then, yes??

17. Claude

Claude Senior Member

As I said, it depends on the circumstances. Amazon UK frequenty has CDs or DVDs for 80% off, so a an error in that range cannot be recognized as an error by the consumer.

The Pink Floyd box is a brand new release, so a huge discount is very unlikely, and certainly a 99% discount.

18. Baba Oh Really

I agree that it is an obvious mistake - but it's also a slippery slope: Who should decide what the "tipping point" is in regard to making that call - and when they should or shouldn't be held accountable for false advertising? I'd like to meet this person!

Personally, I think they need to be more dilligent in doing things right - and until that time, HONOR the posted price.

Has it occured to anyone that things like this might happen on purpose in order to create a "buzz" and get people combing over Amazon looking for "deals"??

19. Baba Oh Really

By the way, in case anyone is interested, I saw BOTH the DSOTM and WYWH "immersion" box sets at Costco for $89.99 each.

20. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

This seller, paperbookshop1, has a whole load of box sets priced at a penny, judging by my wish lists.

Obviously they have made a very big pricing error, probably on all their stock.

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I suspect that the only discovery I will be getting is one that my order has been cancelled, but this form of gambling is free and has been fun.

22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

.... unless these prices are bait for an identity scam. You've given some unknown third party yer name, address and credit card information, after all.

Not saying that's the case here, but maybe that's a risk (unless Amazon does the CC processing ... not sure).

--Geoff

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

24. rockclassics

Yesterday was 11/11/11 when I placed the order, so who knows, maybe lady luck will be with us. ;)

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I remember when this happened:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=197471&highlight=amazon+insane

BTW, congrats to you guys.:thumbsup:
    May the Discovery Boxes be with you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.