Tony Bennett:The Complete Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ron,

I see "Lazy Day" on the track listing intact in it's proper order on Disc 44. Is that an error on the B&N list?

There was a song (I believe the title was "How Beautiful is the Night with You") that was on the UK LP but omitted from the US edition. Unless I am missing it I don't see it in the track list anywhere.

CORRECTION: I just found it on Disc 8 track 18. So (allegedly) the complete "With Love" is present in the set!

2. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Paul: You're right...it's there. Thanks.

3. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok Thread Starter

Hate to sound negative, but do we really think that the autograph is real?

I only ask because back at the time of release for "The Art of Romance" Sony had a special promotion through their then-Sony Store for a special, limited edition autographed copy of the CD. The jewel case came with one unsigned and one "signed" copy of the booklet. It failed the authorization when I went to have it added to my insurance collection...and, indeed, it looks nothing like Bennett's autograph. I've been skeptical of autographs ever since!

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

My pleasure! I adore "With Love". Listened to it just last evening. I look forward to someday hearing "How Beautiful..."

5. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Maybe they used the wrong master for Tony's signature.

6. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I find this thread most interesting, I saw Tony in concert a few years ago, but I'm not THAT familiar with his work, I would LOVE this box..... you lucky lot.

I still haven't got the new Sinatra box yet!

7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

No way for me to tell with certainty.

It's written with a Sharpie pen (with all that *that* potentially entails), and all I can do is take them at their word that it's Tony's real signature.

I share your skepticism about autographs in general.

8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

+1

I'm in the same position as you Tina, I only bought my first TB compilation 2 weeks ago, I'd love this box but there's no way I can afford it, I just hope the albums get released individually.

If I had the money I'd rather buy the TB box than the Sinatra UMG box, I have all the individual Sinatra CD's anyway, I also don't want to give my hard cash to FSE.

9. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Back in the day, I was a bartender and Tony would come into the restaurant I worked at. He was friends with the owner. The owner knew that I liked him and brought him over to the bar specifically to introduce me. Every time he came in, he was cool, very laid back.

I saw him live once at Radio City. He sang "stranger in paradise" (easily my favorite song of his) acapella at the edge of the stage. Awesome moment.

cicadabro likes this.
  10. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I dunno, I would like the complete box set, rather than individual discs. I can't see it happening though , unless it's going for a .... Song.

Frank has to come first for me.

11. hodgo

I would have loved the Sinatra UMG set but they released it after they did the individual CD's, a cynical move designed to get us to go out and buy it all again, that stunk and there was no way I going to give FSE any more of my hard earned cash, it should have come out at the same time as the individual discs thereby giving you a choice, if that had been the case I'd have taken the box option, if I could find the suitcase or its book type version at a decent price I go that route, buying 2nd hand FSE don't get my money.

Back to Tony, I'd love this box but by the time it get's to sell over here in the UK, you can bet your last penny that it'll retail at around £500, so the best I can hope for is that Tony's most essential albums get released individually.

12. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

It won't be cheap.

Does anyone know how much it's selling for in the USA at the mo?

13. hodgo

Yes Tina,

$400 for the box, or $500 for the box with a signed piece of paper from TB himself.

14. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

"Climb Ev'ry Mountain" might have been like that on the original single. Thanks for the info!

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Disc 6: The Columbia Singles, Vol. 4

Disc 6: The Columbia Singles, Vol. 4
    1. May I Never Love Again
    2. (Come Back And) Tell Me That You Love Me
    3. Afraid Of The Dark
    4. Come Next Spring
    5. Happiness Street (Corner Sunshine Square)
    6. Can You Find It In Your Heart?
    7. Forget Her
    8. Sing You Sinners
    9. Capri In May (Je me sens si bien)
    10. From The Candy Store On The Corner To The Chapel On The Hill
    11. One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
    12. The Autumn Waltz
    13. One Kiss Away From Heaven (Malatia)
    14. Just In Time
    15. Sold To The Man With The Broken Heart
    16. No Hard Feelings
    17. (I Never Felt More) Like Falling In Love
    TB06A.jpg TB06B.jpg

cicadabro likes this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I must admit that most of these singles are not exactly my cup of tea. Tony did manage to sneak some sweeteners past Mitch. Witness the contrast:

Just two more volumes of singles to slog through, then maybe we can reach Cloud 9... erm 7. :)

17. hodgo

This is what he would have Frank doing had he not left Columbia to go to Capitol. :shake:

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Playing devil's advocate... There was a big difference between Sinatra and Bennett. Frank was a huge star before he came under Mitch's thumb; Tony was an unknown. Without Mitch Miller, I'm not sure we'd even know of Tony Bennett today.

19. hodgo

Yeah Bob, for TB to move his career along and get to record the good stuff, he had to pay his dues by recording the crap along the way, whereas Frank by that point had already done the hard work and was able to find a home elsewhere on more like his own terms.

20. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Thanks Graham, so just over 300 quid in our money for the signed box, sounds a bit better, my sister will be in US for Thanksgiving and a birthday celebration but I doubt she'll stretch that much for my Christmas gift LOL!

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

B&N has just listed the signed edition for "only" $440:

Tony Bennett - The Complete Collection [Autographed Edition], Tony Bennett, Music CD - Barnes & Noble

We can safely say that each individual autograph is unique, at least. B&N is showing this image of signature card #0134:
    Tony-Bennett-signature-card-0134.jpg
    Compare with the earlier image posted here of card #0128:
    [​IMG]

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No one has yet posted photos of the box set. These are the publicity stills:

Tony-Bennett-Complete-Collection-photo-1.jpg Tony-Bennett-Complete-Collection-photo-2.jpg

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

BTW, it's not obvious from the above photos, but the back and bottom of the box are covered with a removable outer publicity/label sheet. It's affixed loosely to the box with a few dabs of sticky gel gum.

If you like to preserve such things, I suggest you remove this paper sheet carefully before opening the hinged box top, because doing so will surely crease the sheet. (That's what happened to mine.) When folded in half, the outer sheet fits nicely inside the top lid.

cicadabro and howlinrock like this.
  24. hodgo

The only problem is getting it through customs Tina, 20% VAT = £60, add to that any item over £150 pounds is then liable to import duty, so you looking to add another £100 to the original £300. Not cheap.

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Graham: I don't know if this applies equally to the UK as to Europe/Italy, but notice the following post at The Second Disc: