"Quadrophenia: The Director's Cut": Official Press Release for Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ProfBoz, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

From the Q Cloud at the official Quad site...

Please note: Pete mentioned discovering a track called Ambition and his desire to make it available in Q Cloud. Unfortunatley it wasn't possible to save this recording and it has had to be omitted.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Another situation like what happened with "Mary?"

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I ordered from Overstock.com and was expecting to receive a Geffen set. To my surprise I received a Polydor Universal Discs Made In Germany set.

Did anyone receive a Geffen Universal USA set?

4. dee

dee Senior Member

Sure seems that way doesn't it? :mad:

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Bumping this.

I have to wonder when the demos of Relay, Put The Money Down and Join Together date from. We've been led to believe they were left over from Lifehouse, but were they? Or were they created later, with Pete retroactively trying to work them into the Lifehouse story?

Also:

I'm not sure what track listings are referenced by Wikipedia, but it is certainly on the tape shown. That doesn't mean The Who recorded it, but it sure looks like it was part of the concept at some point.

6. dee

dee Senior Member

Thought the same thing re: those Lifehouse tracks. A few of those key tracks (Relay, Join Together) may indeed have been written or recorded by Pete after Lifehouse became WN and those notes are perhaps a confirmation of that.

7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Agreed. The sound is all over the place (I mean pertaining to EQ) on the "sampler" 5.1 mixes. I think Pridden is more deaf than Townshend.

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Just checked out pictures of this box at superdeluxeedition website - that book looks really cool! Wish they made such books for all my fave albums. I'm still relatively to the Who having got past the the best of compilation lasy year with the Who's Next album. Given how much I've liked that, I may venture into Quadrophenia next.....

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Saw the box at Amoeba today ($150). Looks absolutely gorgeous, but I just can't pull the trigger given the imo fail-at-half-the-price inside. Santa?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Amazon UK seems to be the way to go. 101.81 USD shipped.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Without a doubt, you should venture into Quadrophenia. An absolute masterpiece.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I receieved mine yesterday from Amazon UK.

I have to admit, I was scared about the reviews this set was getting, even to the point of trying to cancel my order at the last minute. I cannot believe how nice this set is. I am glad they sent it.

This thing is friggin beautiful! A sight to behold!!!

I played a bit of the surround mix and it was interesting. Probably not something I will listen to much but the demos & book are worth the $100 spent,

13. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Yes, my wife got it for me for my birthday and i think it's great. I don't have a surround sound set up so that is not an issue for me. Of course it is a bit dear but i look at it like a quality item like a Genesis Publications book which are much more expensive.

The box looks great and the book is fantastic. I think the quality of the reproduction of the original booklet is acceptible. I have a vinyl Track original to look at if i need it to be the best it can be. On comparison it is perfectly fine despite being not quite as sharp. The text, stories and other pictures are great. Really informative notes by PT. The wallet with the 7" and the facsimiles of Pete's original lyrics and notes is great too.

I initially thought a vinyl copy was in it like the Leeds set but i must have read the description wrong. No matter, as i have an original. However i must say i was surprised how good the original album sounds on the 2 cd's. I have had this on the original Polydor fatboy then the '96 cd remix and never been that blown away by the cd while not been noticeably dissapointed either. After a few listens, i think these discs sound great. Its really clear and dynamic but not sterile, loud and overly digital. I know there has not been a huge change from the 96 master but whatever has been tweaked has worked out very well on an album that has never really sounded all that brilliant on any format. Usually i like my Who on vinyl but this is a pretty good go to digital copy. The demos are great too.

Like this a lot both sonically and visually, despite its much discussed shortcomings.:righton:

14. aoxomoxoa

Anyone having trouble accessing the "Q-Cloud"??

15. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Is the 2011 mastering of the CD a significant improvement over the 1996?

16. aoxomoxoa

I havent listened to it yet but some say it is a slight improvement.

17. aoxomoxoa

Does anyone know if the 7" single contain the correct single mix of 5:15?

18. moops

moops Senior Member

Anyone know why the standard 2CD Deluxe Edition finishes CD 1 at Drowned and puts Bell Boy at the start of CD 2 ? Especially when there's room for it on CD 1 ? I would have preferred the original album across 2 CDs as with previous CD releases and a 3rd CD devoted to demos. :confused:

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My copy is on the way, but from what people have said, it sounds like it is the soundtrack 45 mix. So, no.

20. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I can't access Q-cloud either. I've tried 2 different browsers and 2 different computers. I sent an email to their support desk on Thursday. I still haven't received a reply. Oh, well......

21. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I strongly agree with this. The CD's proper should not be marred with demos.

22. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Each to their own, but I much prefer The Who Sell Out. I think trhat was the best Who album, with Tommy a very close second.

24. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

25. lovingcup

lovingcup New Member

Did you access it with Disc 1 in your computer?
    I didn't have any problem with the QCloud & I'm using a mac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.