Beatles: how hard did they work in those early years? Amazing!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to some selections from the BBC sessions set this morning, and one thing really struck me in the years before 1965. In addition to writing many songs that would become pop classics, appearing in a feature film (AHDN), countless TV and live appearances, they (as evidenced by the BBC sessions) had an amazing backlog of cover songs that they knew and performed VERY WELL. I know that from the early days of the cavern and Star club they were honing their live act--- working many sets and performing many covers. However, many of those BBC tracks are songs that they didn't perform at the Cavern. So, the Beatles must have been ALWAYS learning and incorporating cover tracks into their repertoire. In addition to their incredible talent, their work ethic was truly astounding in those early days.

2. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Drugs and sheer determination !!!

3. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

That's what happens when you love what you're doing and you're living the dream. Their early music exudes contagious amounts of love and excitement. I doubt there will ever be anything like it again--on a global level, anyway.

4. Uppers, lots of sex, no personal time (except for sex) and, yes, a good work ethic.

Oh, and they were VERY young.

5. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident Thread Starter

good points! :) I'll also add that ALL four of them shared that work ethic. If one of them was the least bit of a slacker during those early years, it wouldn't have been the same.

6. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

It's amazing what some young people will do to avoid getting "real" jobs. :laugh:

7. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

They only worked harder because they'd heard guitar groups were on the way out, and John was told that playing guitar was alright but he'd never be able to earn a living from it.

:)

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

They were prepared by the brutal schedule that they had playing in Hamburg.

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It's called "being hungry"...not in the literal sense (for folks from other countries who may not understand the jargon) but in the artistic sense.

It seems with most artists, their best work is when they are young and starting out and are "hungry"...wanting to succeed, wanting to be recognized, striving to be better. Of course with the Beatles, their later years were also very productive and their recordings got better and more complex - they just didn't have the breakneck schedule of recording that they had in earlier years. But by then, they were involved with other things to occupy their time - Apple, record producing, Yoko, drugs, etc.

10. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

Their energy level displayed performing at the Washington Colissum 1964 is a fine example.
    Ringo especially is on fire- Just watch his drum kit shake from his pounding on the fast numbers...
    They also do work as their own roadies moving eqipment changing direction facing the crowd when Mal Evans couldnt be in 2 places at once.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.