Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "...Great Songs from Great Britain" (1962)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Aug 31, 2007.

1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone know if there was an original tri-color UK STEREO release of Frank Sinatra's Great Songs From Great Britain? This album is a hard one to find and I've only run across three tri-color UK pressings which have all been mono. Thanks in advance!

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've read it came out in stereo 3 years after the mono. Not sure why it wasn't released concurrently...

3. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

4. AaronW

Thanks for the info guys!

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I copped a 1962 UK issued R-1006 yesterday at Record Surplus for...$6.86!!! It is in NM- shape. I am playing it now and am blown away by the brilliance of the mono sound!!!! It is really interesting to see the UK label markings on the familar original Reprise label. Also the original green inner sleeve with the photo of musicians in the studio has a UK address on it as opposed to the old Melrose Ave. one on the US issues. Neat. :righton:

McLover and DLant like this.
  6. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Congrats, Paul---a day late at $6.86 short for me to upgrade my copy (or is it copies?) ;) I did end up picking up a Swing Easy/Songs For Young Lovers (w587) D1/D2 gray Capitol in NM shape for $8.28 at Surplus :righton:

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

GREAT NEWS FOR YOU! I saw and even looked at that LP to inspect it. But I did not buy it as I already own a copy of same pressing. So I'm glad it went to a SHF member after all!:righton:

8. AaronW

Thanks for bumping this thread! I will add that a few years ago I scored an original STEREO copy of Great Songs From Great Britain on eBay from a guy that, it eventually turned out, had numerous unplayed copies he was selling for a short time. Same jacket as the mono except for the blue paper STEREO sticker. I had this for awhile before I acquired a pristine mono copy and did a shootout. The result was that I vastly prefer the mono due to the better vocal tone and overall balance. Here are some pics of the rare stereo version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

10. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Paul, your luck never ceases to amaze! I apparently live in a Sinatra-dry part of the country, as I have yet to come across this album at all in any shape in New England. I nearly bought a copy from ebay in the $60+ range but couldn't justify it. (That, and I don't like the notion of buying used online.)

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yes, being in the SoCal metroplois helps a helluva lot with my FS collection, but ya gotta take the plunge and buy online if you want to increase your collection. It's hit and miss...but for me...mostly hit.

12. AaronW

I'm not Paul and while I also live in Los Angeles, my pristine mono copy was under $30 on eBay and my other mono and pristine stereo copy of this sold for less than $30 on eBay. Most of my Sinatra collection came from Amoeba Berkeley in the early 2000's when pristine copies were plentiful and cheap. Some albums, like original pressings of Close To You which I've only found three times in the past decade, are very scare while I've bought and sold around five excellent copies gray label/silver ring copies of The Wee Small Hours. The one copy of GSFGB I passed on in England in 2004 was asking 30GBP in marginal VG condition.

McLover likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

When the Japanese arm of Universal Music released its limited-edition CD reissue two years ago, they went so far as to replicate the blue stereo stickers on the front and back covers of the mini LP sleeves.

The Japanese are sticklers for detail. Unlike the UMG Europe jewel case version, the Japan CD's front cover is a perfect replica of the British stereo LP, including the "Recorded in London, England June 1962" box and precise color matching. (The discs are exactly the same, though, and they mirror the original 1993 Reprise CD mastering with bonus track.)

CBackley, McLover and MLutthans like this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

less than a fiver on Amazon UK,great value
    CTS Bayswater,Eric Tomlinson ,one of my faves
    The R2 show is excellent.

16. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

This was wonderful. Thanks for the tip, Bob.

I love the vignettes about the strings, the trombone, the Jack Daniels and Alan Friedman's mum.

The Brits do this kind of thing SO WELL.

17. theactor

theactor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up Bob. Miss you buddy.

18. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Last year, I managed to find a sealed Stereo promo LP for a few dollars at local record store here on Long Island. It sounds FANTASTIC!

It was manufactured in Germany by Record Service GmbH. Alsdorf
    1965 WEA International Inc.

I has that orange label with the ship on the left.

The info in the top right corner on the back cover reads REP 44.198 U then under that France:WE 381

The DEADWAX reads on Side 1: R/S 44198-A
    Side 2: R/S 44198-B

19. Gio Mio

Gio Mio Forum Resident

Japanese import with lyric sheet dated 2/17/ 1985 . Contains bonus track Roses of Picardy. I bought Sinatra & Strings about the same time sinatra great britain lp.jpg sinatra lp back cover.jpg

CBackley likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yup, bought that back when it first came out in the early or mid 80's. It is the best!!!

Gio Mio likes this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thanks to your revival, Gio I am now playing this LP. It sounds real purdy...silent platter and nice and dry. Just like my accompanying martini.:cool:

CBackley, KipB and colormesinatra like this.
  22. Gio Mio

Gio Mio Forum Resident

Cheers Paulmock!

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

There was a songbook issued, as well:
    $(KGrHqZ,!gwE06JERsKkBNdJ3Mk4)w~~_35.JPG

bozburn, MMM, AaronW and 1 other person like this.
  24. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Spinning the new Great Songs from Great Britain right now.

Pretty nice sounding to my ears (if a bit "dark" maybe), but have never heard a stereo original. Certainly a better playing copy than the old beater copy I had.

25. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the new Great Songs From Great Britain LP?