Who is using a McIntosh C11-C20-C22 preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WHitese, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone using one of the above mentioned Mcintosh preamps? I have a Mc225, an Mr-71 and would like to complete the lineup. Currently I use a David Berning TF-10 and the synergy is superb with the amp.

Can anyone give me some feedback on what they like about the vintage Mc pre's? Most likely I wont be able to afford the C22 though.

my setup is:

Berning TF-10 preamp, Mc225 amp, MR71 tuner, JBL L-96, EV12trxb and EV15TRX speakers, plus tape sources, TT, and McIntosh MCD7009 CDP.

2. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

Not the original, but I like it. I don't have to worry about replacing old parts with new because all the inside is a new design.

[​IMG]

fortherecord likes this.
  3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Great pic!

4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The C20 is the best one sonically, though the others may be prettier. They are also fairly plentiful and less expensive, so if your looking for a vintage tube Mac, I would go with the C20. The C22 would best match your MR71 in style, but the reissue isn't cheap either.

5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I use an early C-20-- as Steve has previously pointed out, there were multiple versions of the unit over its production run, with the earliest version [plastic face, brass bar across the middle] having the most sonic appeal for us "breath of life" folks.

It's currently running in tandem with a Marantz 8B... and despite their different upbringings, they get along quite well! :)

For my taste, the C-20 gives well-recorded music (well, **any** music, actually) a beautiful amount of depth and texture, and to my surprise, actually has better control over the bass than the MX-110 that I used to use. If you can find one of those early versions of the C-20, I highly recommend picking it up! :righton:

- Kevin

EDIT--
    Here's a recommendation of the unit by the Boss, along with a pic:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6026720&postcount=36

Attached Files:

6. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Excellent preamp!

7. fortherecord

Does anyone use a C11? I may be getting one soon, but haven't owned or heard one before.

8. fortherecord

What did you end up with WHitese? I'm picking up a C11, MC240, MR65 later this week.

9. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh, total different direction I am afraid....I have the Berning preamp driving an SET WE91 clone (300B), 2 different Berning amps and bought some JBL 4430's instead..I sold my Mc30's....:-(

10. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I had a C11 years ago. I won't offer an opinion about the sonics, but one thing that was not obvious to me until I plugged it in is that the front panel glass was backlit in white rather than green. Without inviting a discussion about how to remedy this with LED kits or bulbs or whatever, "I'm just saying ...."

11. fortherecord

Wow, MisterBritt, I hadn't even thought of that! It probably wouldn't be too hard to change the colour to green or blue and still be totally reversable too, any ideas how to do it?

12. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

C11 here. Simply outstanding with all telefunken smooth plates. It performs at a very high level. My system is pretty modest but it improved the sound of my friends $70,000 system.

Attached Files:

• c11.jpg
      c11.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  13. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident

One more.

Attached Files:

14. fortherecord

The C11 is really a beautiful piece, much nicer looking than the C20. Anyone know why the C20 came out first, or have I got that wrong? Anyone tried changing the lighting to blue or green?

15. C22 here.... with 6 Mullard 10M 12AX7 gold pins

Love the phono stage, the vocal midrange is magical when coupled with my MC225 or MC30's. Very holographic.

16. fortherecord

Does your C22 have the original caps in it?

17. MisterBritt

I had Audio Classics in Vestal, NY, do a bulb to LED conversion in my modern C2200 preamp. You might give them a shout and see what they say.

fortherecord likes this.
  18. fortherecord

Yeah, I was thinking about trying their LED kit for my MC352.

19. MisterBritt

They do a nice job. It ain't cheap. I don't recall the investment. But I was happy with it for sure. Some guys order the kit and do it themselves but I had the preamp over there anyhow so I had them do it.

20. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The C20 did indeed come out first.

- Kevin

21. fortherecord

What was up with the numbers being unsequential then?

22. Terry Dewick went through it when I bought it and cleaned and brought it to spec using NOS parts to retain the vintage sonic signature. Not many were needed. I seem to remember the bill came to about $100.

It sat in a closet from about 1970 till I bought it at auction 6-7 years ago from the son of the original owner, a professional musician. It was on e*ay but local, made arrangements to see it up-close and personal, saw those special 12ax7s and happily bid to win.

Essentially paid the going rate for the tubes and the preamp came free.:D

23. fortherecord

Sounds like you got a good deal! I've heard lots of good things about Dewick round here.

24. fortherecord

Picked up and now listening to my C11 and MC240, nice!

nm_west likes this.
  25. fortherecord

This system seems to bring the Byrds, Gerry & pacemakers, Lou Rawls, leontyne Price, etc etc. come to life in a big way! Proof that I really dig it is that I've been listening all afternoon and can't stop! Can the MC 30s be even better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.