"I Want To Hold Your Hand" orig 63 Parlophone promo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Again thanks for all the help---if you see a solid legit UK demo 'I Want To Hold Your Hand"--please advise--highest regards.

Mike

2. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

A question about the Love Me Do label. The original Love Me Do and Please Please Me came out on the older red Parlophone label with different script, why does the demo have the new style (same graphics as the later black label)? My red Love Me Do has the ZT in the deadwax (not in the center) with an M over P above it at 9:00 and R | R at 3:00 stradling the run out groove. Is there any documentaion that the Love Me Do Demo would have come out after Please Please Me?

The Love Me Do on eBay has serveral differences from the one previously sold as far as where the other script and red A overlap.

3. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

The 'reproduction' one on popsike is clearly a later cut - look at the small amount of groove detail showing. Cutwise the current ebay one looks correct, but the condition is remarkable. I'd want to do more research on the matrices and label before I bid on it.

4. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

It's not a UK thing, more an ebay thing. I'm just after sending back a 'NM' record from a US seller with 100% feedback, that would have needed to be a genuine copy of the record being discussed in this thread to be worth the $30 I paid! Even a cursory glance revealed it to be covered in scratches.

I assume everything i buy off there to be one grade below what it says, bid accordingly, and only send back the really badly graded stuff.

(oh, and no offence taken:wave:)

5. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

Your point is well taken - in all of my Ebay purchases from around the world for vinyl it would seem only the Japanese sellers get it correct. So I do indeed apologize to all of my UK compatriots.

6. xios

xios Senior Member

I have a red label "Love Me Do" with the "JR" in the deadwax, so be aware that there are red label copies available for faking demos.

7. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

No need to apologise - I think the added pain-in-the-**** factor of returning records overseas, and the fact that they tend to be more expensive records (ie high enough value to justify more expensive shipping) makes those ones more 'memorable'

Besides, I might well have something similar about US sellers given my recent experience!

8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

EDIT> My question answered above...

9. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Oh , and another thing .....

The "rush copy" sleeves that we all accociate with Beatles demos im pretty sure dont actually belong on an awful lot of them.

I remember reading a fairly indepth article on them (the sleeves) that explained that although they WERE issued with the first one or two demos they were NOT issued after the 3rd or 4th (??) demo single.

I cant back this info up as i cant remember where i read it? ..it might have been an article in Record Collector years ago??

Ive searched the internet for some confirmation of this memory , but cant find anything? ...if anybody can id be grateful for the link , to either confirm or indeed deny my memory is correct.

So ( if im right) , although etheticaly speaking all the Beatles demos do look better in "rush copy" sleeves , but a lot of them are historicaly wrong to be in them.

10. cencalphono

cencalphono New Member

I'd ask the Beatles expert Perry D. Cox to see what he thinks about it. Looks legit to me. I've never seen anyone duplicate the "O.C." type of center hole. Capitol in the U.S. stopped using it long before the Beatles 45's came out here. As far as how many of this promo might have been made, how many radio stations were in the U.K. when this record came out and multiply that several times. In the U.S., many times there are more "promo" copies of a record than store stock ones. Sometimes, like in the case of the Beatles, almost every record was a guaranteed hit, so very few if any promo copies were made of their records, especially on the Apple lable. I've got the John Lennon promo for "Instant Karma". There is nothing on the label to indicate it is a promo and the only indentifying feature is that it is single-sided.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm not sure if Perry Cox is an expert in this area. I could be wrong, but I think he is more of an expert on their US records. As I posted earlier, I would try to seek out Spizer and Daniels.

In the US there are plenty of counterfeit Capitol Penny Lane promo 45s with the trumphet ending. When I got back into vinyl over 10 years ago, I was duped into buying a fake by an Ebay seller. Big mistake. I always wanted to score a clean copy of this record. One year, I saw one in NM condition at Beatlesfest and passed on it, due to the price tag. A few months later, I went the Ebay route and won a so called legit copy in NM condition. The seller had lifted some of his text from the Fab 4 Collectibles website. When I got the 45 in the mail, I compared it to the VG copy that I owned and realized that it was a fake. When I contacted the seller to voice my concerns, he gave me a song and a dance.

Since I live in New York and Tom of Fab 4 Collectibles is based in NYC, I paid him a visit. He inspected the 45 and confirmed that it was a fake. Tom even wrote a letter on my behalf to present to the seller. I ended up getting my money back, but I learned a lesson. For promo items such as this, I would stay away from Ebay and only buy from reputable dealers. In the US that would be Fab 4 Collectables, Gary Hein, Rockaway Records and Microgroove Records. I'm not sure who would be their be counterparts in the UK. Maybe Alan Ould? I know that Parlogram - Andrew Milton on Ebay is reputable, but his prices are sky high.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would put Spizer in the same category as Perry Cox. More of an expert on US records.

His Parlophone book is nice, but IMHO in some ways was disappointing. I had hoped it would answer a number of questions I have. But IMHO there is little in that book that many on this site don't already know, yet quite a bit not in the book that many on this site know.

13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

:agree:

14. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for all the information. I am totally ignorant on most non-us presses.
    Talk about a great education. This is what makes this forum one of the best.
    I've also got to agree that Bruce and Perry, while having a basic knowledge of UK pressings, are no where near the experts we have on this board.
    I know both gentlemen and would wager they would agree.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I didn't buy Spizer's new book.

What are some of the obvious bits of infromation that he left out of his book?

16. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Tommy,
    I would've like to have seen more press runs actually photographed, but I am so ignorant that Bruce's book has been a great learning experience, so I can't comment.

17. thebeatles67

Current high bid on the "Love Me Do" UK promo is now up to $3136.00 as of tonight with several days remaining before close--this should be interesting.

Mike

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I checked Record Collector #102 [February 1988] which has a Beatles "Promos, Demos & Acetates" article written by Peter Doggett but it doesn't mention the sleeves. Maybe it was in a different RC article - I'll keep looking to see if I can find it.

Doggett did mention estimates as to the number of "A" promos in existence:

----------------------
    "How many copies of each demo disc were pressed up? The quantity must have varied over the years, from very small in the case of "Love Me Do" - possibly as few as 25 - to much larger when the Beatles achieved international fame. However, it seems unlikely that more than about 250 copies of any of these demo singles exist in this country [UK] - and, of course, most of them will have been lost or thrown away years ago."
    ----------------------

Not sure if the numbers have become known more accurately in the intervening years?

Oh, and back in 1988 the RC price for a "Love Me Do" promo was £400.

:)

19. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Its heart breaking to look back at old lists which seem as if they were only yesterday and see the ridiculously low prices they were going for then.

20. thebeatles67

Ok folks---"Love Me Do" UK promo--now over $9300:eek: and a few days left.

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

How many of the original "Love Me Do" promos have their whereabouts known?

22. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

23. I can't tell if that one is legit or not, but I'd be wary of it being in such pristine condition. You'd expect a promo copy from this era - as there were relatively few pressed, and those that were got used - to have at least some wear on it. Still, stranger things have happened...

24. thebeatles67

USA conversion of 10,000 pounds is about $16,000.00---3 days left to go. Looks like two very serious bidders are going at it.

25. thebeatles67

Final word on the "I Want To Hold Your Hand" promo I won on ebay. I have now received my full refund. I want to take this opportunity to thank those that alerted me to this counterfeit. I did one thing wrong that I normally check--look at sellers feedback a little more carefully. The seller was agreeable and thank goodness issued me a timely refund. My search continues for a legit UK promo.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.