Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Just stop. We have seen people many times report a CD sounding better than a record. Steve likes his Sweet Baby James gold CD better than the LP he mastered a few years ago.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

The last two words of the title of this thread actually worry me a bit. In my opinion, the original Atlantic CD mastered by Barry Diament has no "veil" that needs to be lifted, IMO.
    I hope the Audio Fidelity disc (which I have pre-ordered) isn't too bright for my taste.

3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Highly unlikely.

4. Should make it's way to the UK by next week, very excited about this one. :)

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have this one preordered but It will have to sound really, really good to top the 200g Classic Records pressing.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm sure the sonics will be nice and all, but more importantly, how does "Guinnevere" (Guinevere?) look without the extra "N"?

7. street legal

Why is that? It wouldn't be the first AF CD that was too bright sounding. My days of praising every CD that Steve masters are over, although I still give every title that I am interested in a fair chance. I am satisfied with the majority of the AF discs, but certainly not every one of them. I use my own ears, & I've long ago realized that AF is no modern day DCC equivalent. Anyone who thinks so is fooling themselves.

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Seems to me he's made a career out of "elective surgeries";) My copy is on pre-order from Amazon, looking forward to many spins of this beautiful album.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I would be interested to know your opinion on the specific titles you feel on AF that are “too bright sounding”.

10. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

do you think removing an 'n' lifted the veil for that track at least?
    :D

11. KeithH

To the first point in bold, you should never have praised masters just because Steve did them. Always listen and decide for yourself.

To your second point, respect other people's opinions while stating your own. Insulting those who disagree with you is counterproductive.

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

"N" = veil?

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

:righton:

14. street legal

Off the top of my head, "The Soft Parade", "Love it to Death", "Killer", & possibly "Fireball" (I prefer the original UK EMI CD for this one). I'm certainly not saying that they are ear bleeders by any stretch, but that I was disappointed to some extent with the presentation of the high end on these titles.

15. street legal

You're right Keith, & maybe I did go a bit far with that statement, but I wasn't really insulting anyone. I was just saying what you do agree with me about ........ use your own ears.

The fact of the matter is that I've never heard a "dud" from DCC, & I have heard a handful from AF. I know that there are others who agree with me, but maybe some are just too afraid to speak their minds in fear of insulting Steve.

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Why not actually listen to the CD first before getting all worried about it? Just sayin'

17. street legal

I most definitely will, & I look forward with much excitement to receiving the new AF disc. I'm just saying that I never heard a "veil" on Barry's original Atlantic CD. That, coupled with the fact that some AF CD's HAVE been a little too bright for my tastes, just makes me a little apprehensive that this will be the *definitive* digital version of this album. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong!

18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

That's my stance, too. You can like or dislike it. That is your option and opinion...obviously. I bought this album the first day of release in 1969 and have listened to it in various forms over the years. According to my ears, the subtleties that Steve has achieved are quite remarkable. This is the version I will be playing from this day forward.

Just my opinion, of course.

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

:help:

20. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Remember folks - Barry did not have the master tapes so there's no need to speculate that the AF cd will be bright.
    :cheers:

21. street legal

This may be true, & according to Steve, the same was true for "Straight Shooter". But in my opinion, Barry's version of "Straight Shooter" is every bit as good as the AF. Does the AF sound *slightly* different? Yes. Better? Not at all, just a little different. I felt the exact same way about "A Space in Time". It sounds very similar to the old Chrysalis CD, & was not a major improvement at all, just very slightly different. I'm disappointed with a lot of AF releases recently in the sense that there are already very good sounding versions available on CD, & I often do not hear major improvements on the AF equivalent, if at all.

22. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

"It ought to be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new. This coolness arises partly ... from the incredulity of men, who do not readily believe in new things until they have had a long experience of them." :)

Niccolò Machiavelli 1469-1527 AD

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I love this site, but this thread is a bit much, particularly with the release date in less than two weeks, just in time for holiday gift-giving. IMHO, it belongs in the Marketplace section.

24. evad

evad Well-Known Member

I understand. I just can't get nervous about CSN until I hear it.

:wave:

25. KeithH

Nothing like an uninformed meltdown on SH.tv. It's our lot in life.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.