Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

???

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Playback equipment affects the differences in sound quality in a big way.

The more resolving your system, the more you will hear differences in mastering A versus mastering B.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I also thought Joe Gastwirt mastered CSN using the original master tapes in the 1990's.

I have a lot of confidence that our host will make this the best mastering of this title to date. The main reason, is that it seems obvious that he holds a special regard for this recording.

If he were to master this to 45 RPM LP, I'm sure it would even sound better than the
    upcoming CD.

3. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The AF CD of CS&N is not "too bright" sounding to me. Steve did a great job. I won't give away anymore, my review to come..

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yeah, I only can laugh about reviews playing CDs on low-fi equipment. Those reviews are worthless IMO.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

But subscribers have it on the way. Some obviously have had their's delivered and have listened. I await mine.

6. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I can easily hear the difference between good/bad masterings, & my setup is nowhere near as elaborate as most around here. I'm sure if my system were more resolving that I'd hear the differences even more, no doubt.

7. Folks, let's take it down a notch - what a tough audience, very few have this one in hand but tempers already flare. Enjoy the music!

:hugs:

8. Gary Freed

Fred,

No doubt that you are an informed and savy listener, but Barry and Steve are both great
    mastering engineers, which makes the differences harder to distinguish unless your equipment is up to the task. I only wish I had better equipment.

9. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Sorry to go off topic, but is there a chance of Deja Vu coming out on AF?

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Asked and answered. The story was - anything with "Young" in it is a non-starter.

11. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Looking forward to it. Folks, you can be sure that Randy will do an exhaustive, very objective comparison.

12. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

OK, thanks. Our loss. :shake:

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yes, but Neil Young has been releasing his own quality remasters. At a snail's pace, perhaps, but it's been happening. Maybe he will orchestrate a Deja Vu reissue that will be definitive.

14. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Yes, this was exactly my point all along.

15. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea. :righton:

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and he doesn't even play on 4 of the 10 songs!

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

What are you talking about? I have my copy right here in my hand. :help:

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

No, there is no chance.

19. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

My gosh, man. Give us a review. :)

20. Gary Freed

:agree:

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

That really is a poor statement to make. Not everyone has or can afford super hi-end equipment. Does that mean someone listening on mid-fi (or even lo-fi) can't hear differences in discs and sonic playback.

I don't know if you would consider my equipment lo-fi (or mid-fi), but I certainly can hear differences in masterings CD vs. CD, SACD vs. CD, LP vs. CD, etc. My opinion may not always match what others state, but that doesn't make my opinion wrong or "worthless".

I wonder why you felt it necessary to make the seemingly condescending statement you did (even if it wasn't directed at any one person in particular)?

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mike T. : Thank you for reading my mind. :thumbsup:

Rumours 45rpm - I hear things NEVER heard before, and I mean 1977 !
    Heart Like A Wheel Gold AF CD - same thing, 1974, different setup, but still not " high end expensive."

Many, many more examples in my collection too.

When Steve, Kevin, or Barry are the engineers, I KNOW I'm in for a treat, and I haven't been let down yet.

23. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

:righton: Yep. I used to have what would pass as decent hi-fi for many years and also now have been listening on non audiophile equipment for many years and, in my experience, it can cut both ways.

On a higher end system, I still let some great recording slip through my finger tips. Why? I think I simply wasn't paying close enough attention (and bought into the loudness wars for several years.)

Now, I am paying attention again. :winkgrin: And you don't need a 10K system (not that I'm not working my way back up to one. ;)) to hear the difference btw a great master and a terrible one. To use an obvious example, the recent Aqualung vs. the 25th anniv cd. You could A/B that on a rusty boombox with the shower running and hear the difference.

I am eager to hear the new AF - all I have on cd is the recent Rhino greatest hits, which has a sharpness to it that I don't like.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:laugh:

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Well stick around and we will promise to keep you "in stitches" with more worthless reviews. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.