Audio Fidelity new 24 Kt Gold CD of "Crosby, Stills & Nash" Review: Veil Removed!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiomixer, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

Used to share a simular feeling on some of the AF releases as well.
    Machine Head is a good example. The original WB available new to the day is a fine sounding disc. Intially, didn't see much if any improvement. I have to admit that over time the AF started to distinguish itself as I noticed improvements (mid range had more harmonic information soundstage.). It really is a much better listen. Took me some time to get it.

2. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

if possible, can someone please do an A/B between original, HDCD RM, and AF, without vague generalities regarding "compression" and such....tell us how it SOUNDS - thanks!

this was not much $ online, I'm probably gonna get it

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So is the attitude of a snob. :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

:righton:

5. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

There is no risk at current online prices. If you don't like it you can sell it easy for what you'll have invested with a tidy profit for your troubles:shh:

I have not heard a version on cd yet of this that was sonically amazing, so I eagerly await it's arrival.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Victor,

Thank you for this thread. I'm playing my 45rpm x 4 right now because of it, and I'm excited about the 13th (Amazon guy).

:cheers:

Sold the Gastwirt weeks ago BTW.

7. audiomixer

You're very welcome. I'm spinning mine again right now. This recording as never sounded so alive. I have much more respect for this classic album in this new sonic presentation.

8. Myke

On the 14th, I'll go to my cubicle, delete the Gastwirt rip, and replace it with our Fearless Leader's. :thumbsup:

9. audiomixer

;)

10. My copy's being delivered at my office so I'm going to be able to do that immediately...we're open 7 days a week!!!:winkgrin:

11. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

Actually, if you're expecting Amazon to deliver starting Dec. 13 there's this which I received from Amazon the other day:

If it turns out to be earlier, great.

-DLedin

12. Myke

Prime members will get ours 12/13.

13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Which means I can get mine at Amoeba on Tuesday :angel:

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Gee Gary, I see nothing inherently wrong with your Mcintosh/Paradigm/Sony setup. Better equipment does NOT always equate to a better system, and room acoustics play such a huge roll. A moderate (but quality) system placed in a room with good acoustics and sensible treatments will slaughter a state-of-the-art system placed in a room with crappy/untreated acoustics.

Fret not, young man. Just enjoy the tunes. :cheers:

15. And the elephant in the room - more important than systems IMO - is how shot someone's hearing is. A review done on a $100k system means nothing if we don't know the state of the listener's hearing. I'd trust a review on a 'meager' system by someone with accurate hearing any day of the week.

16. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Whole wheat or rye? And what exactly does it sound like--chewy or crunchy?

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Jeebers, the spelling and grammar pedants are out today. You do realise you will have to very carefully check the contents of any post you make from now on - karma, my friend.

18. Well, the release of this CD DID get delayed to correct the typo for one of the songs...:winkgrin:

19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Maybe there's a karmic mist flowing through this thread then? :righton:

20. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

Your obvious example isn't obvious at all.
    What you hear is a REMIX compared to the original mix!

21. pbda

pbda Forum Resident

Agree. The "mine's bigger than yours" attitude sucks.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I finally got a chance to listen to my copy last night, but I guess that I should not post my impressions on this thread. My system is mid-fi at best, so I guess that my review of this disc would be worthless at this high-falutin site. :help:

23. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Best post to date! High-five! (& or) Mid-five!

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Has it been written yet that the "Come On In My Kitchen" part was left in for this cd?

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

It doesn't matter what system you use to review the disc because you are supposed to review it without listening to it. Get with the program!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.